• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Permabanned
Looks like all core boost sweet spot is 4.8GHz even tough it will hit 5.0GHz but at a high power cost.

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-2001057-1-1.html

Translated quote:

In 9102, playing overclocking is not just spelling mhz.
5ghz is playing, but 4.5ghz is actually more effective than Mhz.
Before the news FX8350 7.7Ghz R15 only 1200,
but R5 2600 limit adjustment 4Ghz 1400CB

focus on low Mhz run out High performance is really cool, no need to pursue 5Ghz hard 5Ghz, afraid of the ability is not as good as 4.8Ghz....

score

Caporegime
Looks like all core boost sweet spot is 4.8GHz even tough it will hit 5.0GHz but at a high power cost.

Translated quote:

focus on low Mhz run out High performance is really cool, no need to pursue 5Ghz hard 5Ghz, afraid of the ability is not as good as 4.8Ghz....

score

I'm not believing it, nope, i refuse :p

Associate
4.7 or 4.8 big ones will be very good and definitely give the blue team a major problem, this is prob why they are pushing out the 5ghz 9900ks in a few months as they prob had some inside info.
Question is how far with xfr push the chip itself without manual OC?

Ohh and some piddly wee chipset fan aint going to stop me getting one of the 3000 series chips, there are plenty of ways to keep the noise down.

Soldato
A bit disappointing really I remember on here some bloke was saying you will get the same performance as a 9900k for 175 Quid yeah course you will mate lol.

That was probably me because I was convinced the leaks were true. I got into so many arguments with people on here such as @tamzzy who said we wont get 8 cores for under £200. Yet all the time I was wrong and they were right so I'm sorry about that.

I felt so disappointed after watching Computex. Not disappointed with AMD because it's a fantastic line-up but disapointed with the inaccurate information we'd been reading about. I spent a whole 6 months convinced I was getting an 8 core 3600 :(

Permabanned

Translated quote:

score

Reading through this, with my awareness of who a couple of these people are (yeah.. I get around)...

The takeway seems to be this:

• 4.8GHz is achievable on all cores

• ~4.4GHz performs similar to a 5Ghz 9900k - in Cinebench (not surprising)

• 5.0GHz is doable, but it's a challenge

• Overclock for overclock, Ryzen 3000 is still faster (in Cinebench?)

• 5GHz boost isn't infeasible

• 5Ghz all core is pretty much a no-go.

• 1.35V for all core 4.5Ghz (THIS is amazing)

• Memory is being run very loose and slow to assure stability for testing

That's the information from people who actually have samples.

The memory statement is a big one... we've seen that the memory used in the leaks, so far, has been default rated at CL20 or CL22 (or even CL24). If this is what was being used, then memory latency has not regressed from Pinnacle Ridge in any notable way. That would be welcomed.

Associate
I never expected an 8 core for that price, if there was to be one the performance would likely have been a poor improvement from Zen+ as amd would have to price it low.

I remember the same thing for my 5820k, had to wait for parts and also bios revisions as the first few months were a pain in the chuff with it. But its been a good chip and done me well for years at 4.5 ish Ghz so...cant complain too much.

Soldato
Is the fan user accessible? They can send you a new fan right.

Although I do agree... Nice chunky heatsink please.

Never thought I'd see water-cooled mobos.

Just saw a video featuring the MSI motherboards, they're using ball bearing fans rated for 50,000 hrs and are according to Hardware Unboxed very quiet. Some competitors are using sleeved bearings.

Associate
I never believed those ryzen 3600 8 cores for less that £200. As a buisness there is no real reason to. AMD want as much profit in each cpu sale as possible. And if Intel does hit back or they need to clear out 3000 stock for 4000, then they have the margin to drop prices.

Associate
I don't know why more of them haven't gone with passive heatsinks like the Auros Extreme. A heatsink just needs a dusting, fans break, fans get noisy as the bearings wear. They are going to be repairing a lot of expensive motherboards for a noisy bearing that cost a few pence.

They should at least of made them super easy to pop out and included a couple in the box. To me seems like a seriously weak point

Soldato
I think I'll be waiting to see how the use case scenarios come out in the real world and from proper builds on here. I could probably easily get away with going for a 2xxx chip but ideally want the latest for my money.
Summer is basically here so I'll be out and about so can easily hang off months to see what everyones verdicts are.

Caporegime
Correct, if the game is developed in a game engine running on an Intel CPU and the dev doesn't pick up AMD's Ryzen Data sheets and makes the necessary adjustments to the game code then yes it will run better on Intel.
I've read this four times and can't figure out what it means!

"Developed in a game engine running on an Intel CPU"...

Eh?

Back
Top Bottom