Shorts that are actually short (but with pockets)

Soldato
Hi all, in a similar vein to the illuminating Pants thread - can we work out Shorts?

It seems to me you cannot get a pair which fit the main criteria (for me)

• Actually short - Not knee / below knee but above knee so you stay cool and passers by can admire your VMO
  • Lightweight material - ie NOT cargo / denim / other horrid stuff. Something light that dries quickly and prevents Betty Swollocks
  • Has useful pockets - Big enough for big smartphones with zips / other fasteners so I can do some parkour if necessary
  • Not look like gym shorts - no shiny black polyester please. Something I can wear out on a summer evening without bouncers rejecting me.

So, has anyone found this combination? Is it just me that struggles? It blows my mind the amount of shorts made out of thick heavy cargo/denim material, the whole point is its too bloody hot for trousers gimme dat breeze!

Commissario
M&S do almost exactly what you want except they don't have zip pockets. They're lightweight and a sort of chino material, two decent size front pockets (my iPhone XSMax fits) and two back pockets with buttons. I got a couple of pairs from the local factory store and I think they were £15 each.

Soldato
Penguin do these too, I have a nice pair of them but don't have the build to wear them well! Failing that Tesco actually have a decent range of shorts this year that are relatively fashionable looking.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Howicks summer clothes always have nice stylish cotton shorts. Bit old man style but smart and short Too short for me actually but they're smart enough for fancy restaurants in hot countries.

Edit: cotton ones have pockets big enough for my note 4 but no zips. Others have button bottom pockets but on their cargo material ones.

Soldato
OP
Decathlon do shirts that are 'outdoor' shirts, they're not cargo or denim, in fact they're slightly stretchy...

I have a pair but I find the sizing for a lot of clothes hard because I have a day arse and larger than skinny fit legs, but you might be more lucky

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh500-mens-shorts-black-id_8493711.html

They look long, will be way past my knees.

M&S do almost exactly what you want except they don't have zip pockets. They're lightweight and a sort of chino material, two decent size front pockets (my iPhone XSMax fits) and two back pockets with buttons. I got a couple of pairs from the local factory store and I think they were £15 each.
I have a pair from M&S that are good, but no zipping pockets is too risky. I sat down in the cinema wearing them, phone slipped out and smashed on the floor between the seats.

Penguin do these too, I have a nice pair of them but don't have the build to wear them well! Failing that Tesco actually have a decent range of shorts this year that are relatively fashionable looking.

Will have a look.

I'm a huge fan of Hollister shorts; they do varying lengths. This 'seasons' aren't as nice as previous ones IMO, though :(

Will check them out, but I suspect they’ll be too skinny.

Soldato
Musto - yes - I think you are right - phone has to be in a pocket on the thigh ... or personally prefer a napoleon pocket on chest, too much of an encumbrance otherwise.

edit M&S offers still running too

Man of Honour
I prefer just on the knee length, and I’ve a pair of Lee denim shorts that I bought in a store in Savannah GA, maybe 11 or 12 years back, and I was overjoyed to find that I could get them with a 33” waist.
I can still get them on easily, and get the top button done up, they look fine when I’m standing at a bar, but there’s a definite, albeit small, roll of flesh if I sit at a table!
I also have a pair of Tommy Bahama, Tahitian Classics, stone colour, with a single tropical flower motif on the left leg, these are 34”, bought at Dillard’s in Gulf Square Mall, U.S. 19, Port Richey FL, no love handles with them!

Soldato
I've been tempted for a while to rock the magnum pi look. Have a beard, and thinking about shaving it off and just having a tash.
Paired with a pair of red short, shorts I think I might be able to pull it off.

Soldato
I am actually in a similar position to you op (apart from being a cyclist:p). There doesn't seem to be smart shorts with deep pockets, and obviously no man should ever wear denim shorts. I'm going to have a look round next on Friday and see if they have any.

Back
Top Bottom