What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
You can either go release date starting from Iron Man or there's storyline chronological lists online that start from Captain America: First Avenger. The name suggests why you may want to start from there ;)

Soldato
Gremlins (1984!). I have a t-shirt featuring Gizmo and my daughter asked me what it was all about. Rather than just describe it to her, we decided to put on the film. The kids loved it and I was impressed by how well the special effects have held up. 35 years though, OMG!

Soldato
Gremlins (1984!). I have a t-shirt featuring Gizmo and my daughter asked me what it was all about. Rather than just describe it to her, we decided to put on the film. The kids loved it and I was impressed by how well the special effects have held up. 35 years though, OMG!
How old is your daughter?

I feel like my son, 9, is close. I think I must have been about 10 when I watched it. Can't remember - how scary is it for kids?

Associate
I watched Rita sue and bob too, i recommend it, was a good laugh!

61656847_10157286597272375_1539030972798861312_o.jpg

Caporegime
Mortal Engines

Pretty, with a cool idea, but ultimately it falls flat with the somewhat terrible dialogue. Has a weird anime vibe to it as well with the japanese badass and a killer robot-human.

5/10

What Men Want

A gender-swap AND race-swap reboot of a naff 90s comedy? Must get some people's froth up :D By-the-numbers rom-com, but it did get a few chuckles, and Tracy Morgan is his lovely random self.

6/10

Soldato
How old is your daughter?

I feel like my son, 9, is close. I think I must have been about 10 when I watched it. Can't remember - how scary is it for kids?

TBH, it not really scary at all. My kids are both 13 and just thought it was funny and thrilling, not scary. The violence is all sanitised so I'd have thought it would be fine for a 9 y/o.
My kids were more horrified about the record player, cine film projector used in the classroom and corded home phones. :D My son made me laugh because there is a whole scene where the hero tries to get his VW bug going, stressing that he's late for work and then walking there in under 2 minutes. Even my teenager was prompted to say "even I'm not THAT lazy." :D

Associate
Aladdin (2019)

Bored, uninteresting, no Disney magic.

Avoid.

Snap! Maybe the sound was off but "Arabian nights" seemed to have Will Smith stretching.

Now the Aladdin stage show. WOW. The genie can have 20 minute constant dance scenes! That I will see again, this film version seems very forgettable.

Caporegime
Snap! Maybe the sound was off but "Arabian nights" seemed to have Will Smith stretching.

Now the Aladdin stage show. WOW. The genie can have 20 minute constant dance scenes! That I will see again, this film version seems very forgettable.

It also felt very small, like the country they are in was the size of Monaco or something.

Everything felt like it was done on a sound stage (which I’m sure it was) but it really felt like it, from the tower he lived, the street, the palace, all of it didn’t feel lived in, everything was very superficialities. The biggest thing missing is that unquantifiable Disney magic, some reason Cinderella has it, even Beauty and the Beast has it (not seen Dumbo so can’t comment), this does not have it. I mean everyone did their best and for all the worry about Will Smith being not lived up to Robin Williams (he doesn’t but he does his best), he is probably the best thing in it. Besides him, everything else felt off.

Back
Top Bottom