Batwoman

Soldato
Glow is a fantastic show and almost has a entire female cast
Which has entire episodes based around women's or minority issues. Like unwanted pregnancy, or racism, or the pain of giving up your career to be a mother/wife.

Just like Ripley faces sexism, demonstrates mothering instinct, says lines like 'leave her alone you bitch' etc.

And it's not like dude films and TV shows don't have embarrassingly 'Man' stuff cringingly inserted to 'connect' with its audience.

This stuff's just a mirror image. It's not less-than.

Soldato
Which has entire episodes based around women's or minority issues. Like unwanted pregnancy, or racism, or the pain of giving up your career to be a mother/wife.

Just like Ripley faces sexism, demonstrates mothering instinct, says lines like 'leave her alone you bitch' etc.

And it's not like dude films and TV shows don't have embarrassingly 'Man' stuff cringingly inserted to 'connect' with its audience.

This stuff's just a mirror image. It's not less-than.
Yes but it's extremely well written and not "forced" just to tick a box or prove a point. Are woman that daft they need it shouted out from the rooftops?

Do you think the male mirror image stuff you speak of is well received? It's not the 80's anymore.

Soldato
Yes but it's extremely well written and not "forced" just to tick a box or prove a point. Are woman that daft they need it shouted out from the rooftops?
GLOW absolutely shouts its girl power / feminism from the rooftops. As, seemingly, does batwoman. And, yes, GLOW is very well written (I've actually watched S1 about 3 times, I like it so much). But that's the only real difference between its angle and that of batwoman: BW just looks crap, unsurprisingly when it's another crappy superhero TV show: they're pretty much all terrible*

*Disclaimer, I've only watched a couple of the better regarded ones. I like Gotham.

Soldato
GLOW absolutely shouts its girl power / feminism from the rooftops. As, seemingly, does batwoman. And, yes, GLOW is very well written (I've actually watched S1 about 3 times, I like it so much). But that's the only real difference between its angle and that of batwoman: BW just looks crap, unsurprisingly when it's another crappy superhero TV show: they're pretty much all terrible*

*Disclaimer, I've only watched a couple of the better regarded ones. I like Gotham.
No it doesn't. Even when they were wrestling the two males it wasn't cringe worthy. It deals with woman and racial issue's delicately. That's the difference. Good writing and cast.... How hard is that to understand?? It's not the message It's the way the message is delivered.
Is it a femamist show??? Yes it is.
Does it empower woman? I hope so and am sure it does.

That Batwoman trailer actually feels like they have forced some of thoses lines into it just for hate bate. just watch it again.

Associate
As you and I have both pointed out, changing two words in the trailer from "a woman" to "me/my" completely changes the tone of trailer and, to me, makes it more inclusive meaning a much bigger audience.

Question for you - why does she have to be inclusive?

Tony Stark is a warmonger and a massive ass, who does what he wants, when he wants and damned be the consequences - and he's considered one of the MCU's best characters. Batwoman, who has a MASSIVE chip on her shoulder acts like that and she needs to be working harder?

For context, in the comics Batwoman is not a particularly nice person. She was never respected in the military (a) because she's a woman and (b) because Daddy got her in (he didn't, but that's how the other soldiers felt - and it doesn't feel like a stretch); she is eventually drummed out of the military because she won't hide that she's a lesbian - she absolutely has a grudge about all those things. She's pretty much the only member of the Bat family that is willing to butt heads with Bruce, and won't go along with something just "because he's Batman". She is definitely a flawed character, but she's much more interesting for it.

I'm not saying you're doing this, but it does seem that female superhero leads are held to a very different standard to their male counterparts (like Captain Marvel not smiling on her poster).

It's like they, feminists, have a checkbox of things that have to be in show as a dog whistle to their 'super woke' 'fans'. Things like:

I don't know if these are your points, or if they're from the video you watched (if so, it's not particularly insightful), but just to clarify on a couple:

Gender swapped or race swapped characters, maybe bother race and gender swapped.

If you mean Batwoman, totally her own character - since 1956 actually, when the Kathy Kane version appeared. This version (Kate Kane) appeared in 2006, when Batman / Superwoman / Wonder Woman are missing after the events of Infinite Crisis.

If you mean the young black man in the Alfred type role, that's Luke Fox - son of Lucius Fox, played by Morgan Freeman in the Nolan films. If you've seen any of those films, you'll recall that Lucius played the role of tech support, providing all Bruce's gear - and that Morgan Freeman is black. So maybe you're getting fake mad about nothing?

Main character tries too hard to be mean whilst barely 100lbs if that.

Batman fights superpowered people all the time. Captain America fought an actual god in Avengers. And in the comics, Wolverine is 5'3. If that's your big objection, comic based stuff is not for you.

White males will be the bad guys.

The main bad guy is literally in the trailer - pro-tip, it's the one who isn't a guy. She is still white, because spoilery reasons (you can google it if you care, it won't be tough to work out).

Soldato
I don't mind the Arroverse stuff I find it harmlessly fun but it can be a bit unsubtle with it's gender sexuality virtue signalling. I think they should be looking to wrap some of these shows up though they've had good runs and should aim for a planned ending rather than a forced by cancellation one. Can't say I'm that enthused by Batwoman, she had a soft launch on the crossover Elseworlds episode but didn't do a lot for me.

I'm hoping The Boys is the superhero TV show we deserve.

Soldato
Question for you - why does she have to be inclusive?

"She" doesn't have to be inclusive, my point was that the script would be more inclusive to viewers if the lines were chosen differently so that Batwoman is still the same character/person but the language used in the trailer wasn't aimed at dismissing 50% of the potential viewing population, which changing "a woman" to "me/my" would do without changing the character one bit.

So again, not about changing the character, but a writing issue vs the viewers. However thats just an opinion whether anyone agrees/disagrees is their choice.

Associate
I am sure i will watch this as i just cant help myself :), but i am sure this will be awful and talk about a underwhelming batwoman she has no presence at all batwoman is supposed to be 5ft 11, ruby rose is like 4ft 10 and just looks like a little dude where is my tall sexy batwoman dammit :).

This batwoman looks more like what would happen if "ellen" went crazy and turned into a vigilante lol.

Imagine how crap batman would have been if it was a little short bloke that looked kinda girly, actually i would totally watch that trainwreck as well :).

Caporegime
Ep01 aired on 5th Oct and Reviews are not good

Critics or man baby's?

Critic reviews seem 'ok'

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/batwoman

User reviews are the typical thing you would expect to read, such as this person who gave it 0/10 on Metacritic and yet they say it's pretty good!

Ok casting and pretty decent story if im honest, but this is once again a politcally motivated move from the CW. I love DC but this is inexcusable. Clearly prioritising implementing Politics over quality of the show to the point it drives you insane just like what is happening atm with Supergirl and the other arrowverse shows that i used to religiously watch up the the end of the last set of seasons

Edit - I should say that I don't watch any of these Warner TV shows.

Soldato
Critics or man baby's?

Critic reviews seem 'ok'

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/batwoman

User reviews are the typical thing you would expect to read, such as this person who gave it 0/10 on Metacritic and yet they say it's pretty good!

Edit - I should say that I don't watch any of these Warner TV shows.

Why do you feel the need to Whiteknight anything with a woman as the lead?

Caporegime
*Chortle*, how is pointing out the usual review bombing "white knighting"?

I imagine it is dross, because it's not my sort of show. I really hated 'Gotham'

I even gave an example review from somebody who seemed to think it was ok and yet still scored it 0

Back
Top Bottom