Got the LG32GK850f and Hate It. IPS Ultrawide next ?

Associate
Hey guys!

For the last weeks I was looking for a monitor for my upcoming gaming pc, and finaly setting with the LG32GK850 VA monitor, and man do I hate it.

First I noticed that slow ass panel, with extreme smear or overshoot when using the overdrive as the fastest setting - still getting tons of smear.

People says how fast and good this screen is, bla bla...Well I wonder do they actually have eye's to see with. If this is the pinacle of VA, well they can gladely keep it to themself. I hate it and will never tuch a VA panel again (if they of course dont do magicaly better)

And they also rumbling about how superior that contrast to IPS or TN is. Even there I was Not impressed at all. Of course it's better, but IMO just a little and not much at all; can gladely do without it as I feel IPS/TN users, dont missing out at all.

That leaves me to send this garbage back ASAP, and start looking for a real monitor :)
I dident even like the 32 inch size, found it way overwhelming and that 1440P - PPI is so lowrez and blurry at 32 inch, that VA subpixel is crap vs IPS.

So im definetly set on a 27 or even 34-21:9. The more I reading up on UW the more I want one.
So what's my option, wait for the LG Nano IPS 27 or go for the: 34GK950G/f model ?

Will the upcoming LG27 Nano IPS bring anything new over their UW 34950 models ?

Associate
OP
34GK950F and 34GK950G are both Nano-IPS JFYI

sorry to hear your didn't enjoy the 32GK experience - personally for me I will always pick IPS over VA or TN but that's just me

Hi Daniel!

Yeah I know they both are Nano IPS :)

But what about that upcoming 27 Nano IPS; is it going to have anything new/better then the allready released 34GK950's ?

I can see why you prefer IPS over VA, very clearly now :)

Thanks for your input!

Soldato
I can see why you prefer IPS over VA, very clearly now
Vertical Alignment liquid crystals also have "black crush" which flattens darkest shades to all same black from straight angle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSoeoaeyH6w
Mapping input signal values to higher values than panel's lowest could mitigate that, but of course that would cut down contrast.

A-TW polarizer IPS should have been only LCD panel type going further development, until we get active matrix OLED or active matrix quantum dot LED monitors.
Current "QLED" monitors are PR BS with only another change in backlight behind same old scrappy LCDs.
At least quantum dot colour filter in front of LCD matrix would help some with viewing angles.

With some new higher refresh rate capable IPS panels supposedly going into production during winter next week's Computex or E3 in couple weeks might have some releases.

Associate
OP
OMG this is crazy. I took a chance and ordered tha g-sync version of this monitor - GK850G and WOW im frikking in love LOL!
I said never a VA panel again, but this surely changed my mind. After reading up on it and when Vega said: they must have working magic with this one, as there is NOO smearing.

What wizards are at work here I dont know but, they surely must be. The g-sync version is a game changer. It's just as fast as any TN monitor I have used, with no smearing at all. And the colours are so much better on this one, not overblown whites. Feels just right and natural.

So this is a keeper. This is the absolut best monitor I have ever used. I should have gone for the gsync version and saved me the trouble directly. So glad that I did take a chance with it.
Im all set, this g-sync have it all. The best of the best. Thanks nVidia for doing it right. I will never go for a freesync crap againg thats for sure!

Associate
OMG this is crazy. I took a chance and ordered tha g-sync version of this monitor - GK850G and WOW im frikking in love LOL!
I said never a VA panel again, but this surely changed my mind. After reading up on it and when Vega said: they must have working magic with this one, as there is NOO smearing.

What wizards are at work here I dont know but, they surely must be. The g-sync version is a game changer. It's just as fast as any TN monitor I have used, with no smearing at all. And the colours are so much better on this one, not overblown whites. Feels just right and natural.

So this is a keeper. This is the absolut best monitor I have ever used. I should have gone for the gsync version and saved me the trouble directly. So glad that I did take a chance with it.
Im all set, this g-sync have it all. The best of the best. Thanks nVidia for doing it right. I will never go for a freesync crap againg thats for sure!

I am so glad we have turned it around for you - enjoy the screen, she is a beauty :)

Associate
OP
I am so glad we have turned it around for you - enjoy the screen, she is a beauty :)

Thanks Daniel and yeah it's a beauty and make me feel just to the letter - LG = Lives Good :)
No IPS glow or aweful TN viewing angles, and so much better contrast them them both. Yeah Daniel, you surely make my LifeGood ;)

Last edited:
Soldato

What is the PPI density like @ 1440p? I've always heard 27" 1440p is optimum and for 32" should go 4K. What's 1440p like on 32" monitor?

Currently on a Dell S2719DGF and need a 2nd monitor, debating where to go! Another S2719DGF, another 1440p but bigger monitor, Ultrawide or 4K... Lost for choice

Associate
OP
I currently have a Dell S2716DG but would like something bigger to game on, would the 32GK850G be a good uprade?
Thats the IPS version right.
Well only you can tell. Dont know if you would find the bigger pixels alright, or the different coulors good going from IPS!
You just have to test and see :)

Associate
OP
What is the PPI density like @ 1440p? I've always heard 27" 1440p is optimum and for 32" should go 4K. What's 1440p like on 32" monitor?

Currently on a Dell S2719DGF and need a 2nd monitor, debating where to go! Another S2719DGF, another 1440p but bigger monitor, Ultrawide or 4K... Lost for choice

PPI is exactly the same as 24 - 1080P, so of course it's not as sharp, and thats the only thing I missing; the sharpness. Other then that the panel is awesome.
To be honest, the more I game on it, the more I think: damn, I would love to have that sharpness from a 27. Im debating with myself of return it or not.
Dont get me wrong, I love the size/colours and good viewing angles - coming from a TN that is. But damn I miss the crispness of that higher PPI!

Associate
PPI is exactly the same as 24 - 1080P, so of course it's not as sharp, and thats the only thing I missing; the sharpness. Other then that the panel is awesome.
To be honest, the more I game on it, the more I think: damn, I would love to have that sharpness from a 27. Im debating with myself of return it or not.
Dont get me wrong, I love the size/colours and good viewing angles - coming from a TN that is. But damn I miss the crispness of that higher PPI!

If you can, just sit 20 cm further away and then you're at the same viewing angle as you would be with a 27". There isn't all that much in it.

Associate
OP
If you can, just sit 20 cm further away and then you're at the same viewing angle as you would be with a 27". There isn't all that much in it.

Yepp already do, as I have a big desk. And right now I really starting getting comfortable with it. Just gotta love that VA contrast and the big screen. So yeah; this is a keeper :)

Back
Top Bottom