What to do about my rubbish 2666Mhz DDR4

Soldato
FWIW - I was getting around 180-230 fps on CS GO. I couldnt work out why but when I enabled XMP on the BIOS for the 3200mhz, i am getting mostly maxed out 299fps and minimums of around 245-250 ish.

Soldato
Bought it, stuck it in..bugger all difference :D

See my post no 7, it's due to caching on the i7, plus combined with slower timings on the faster memory.

As mentioned some software does benefit from faster memory, but majority of time faster memory is not worth it.

Soldato
OP
See my post no 7, it's due to caching on the i7, plus combined with slower timings on the faster memory.

As mentioned some software does benefit from faster memory, but majority of time faster memory is not worth it.

Actually faster RAM and tighter timings but your point still stands. I'm actually getting slightly better scores in older benchmarks and Kontakt does seem to switch between samples faster but that could be Placebo effect :)

Soldato
Actually faster RAM and tighter timings but your point still stands. I'm actually getting slightly better scores in older benchmarks and Kontakt does seem to switch between samples faster but that could be Placebo effect :)

There will be a difference, it depends mainly on the software. For example WinRar when it does a solid compression is looking at the entire memory area. This results in low cache hits so faster memory will make a good speed improvement. Another area is VM machines where the VM's are context switching, again low cache hits as high bandwidth involved with multiple running VM's from the same physical machine. I expect similar is happening with Kontakt.

However for most Windows processes and applications there is a large amount of cache hits, so as you are noticing the faster RAM is not making your computer faster in any general area.

When people consider CPU's they choose on core count, but the importance of larger on-board cache especially on i7 and i9 CPU's is often overlooked.

I think you understand where i'm coming from anyway :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom