• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
So the speculation is that all the Navi cards will be 8GB? I was expecting memory capacity was going to start rising above 8GB by this point in time. Are games not starting to be able to make use of more, yet?

They do at 4K yes however the processing power of the Navi shown by Lisa is not enough to make this a 4K card. Chances are most buyers will use them at 1080p and then 1440p and 8gb is plenty fine for that application

Last edited:
Soldato
They do at 4K yes however the processing power of the Navi shown by Lisa is not enough to make this a 4K card. Chances are most buyers will use them at 1080p and then 1440p and 8gb is plenty fine for that application

Makes sense. I guess there'll probably be navi-based professional cards that do? They'll do a navi-based Vega II replacement wont they?

Soldato
Lisa said Navi’s RDNA will be used for Gaming and GCN will be used for compute - so workstation compute cards should be evolutions from the Radeon 7 and be seperate from Navi unless I misunderstood the presentation.

The impression I got is that RDNA in Navi is designed to sacrifice compute performance to gain gaming performance - although only proper reviews will show us what the difference really is.

Lastly while not confirmed by Lisa, the card shown at Computex matches the leaked specs for the baby Navi 10 cards - with Navi 20 to come later and I’d expect Navi 20 cards to use 16gb DDR6 memory and be faster than Radeon 7 in games

Last edited:
Associate

Indeed the thing is though will Navi 20 in some unknown (but thought to be Q2 2020) going to change that or is it still not enough? That's the killer question to my mind cos all AMD seem to have done atm is provide more options in a segment already catered for.

Soldato
So the speculation is that all the Navi cards will be 8GB? I was expecting memory capacity was going to start rising above 8GB by this point in time. Are games not starting to be able to make use of more, yet?

After Nvidia went with 6gb for midrange, no chance. I wouldn't expect more vram until new consoles get launched and games start making good use of it. Right now lod & textures are gimped sp you rarely see vram usage exceed even 6gb at 4k.

eg: Nvidias prized child, Exodus still limping along with constant pop-in & low res textures
index.php

On the other hand, another vram light title, the Witcher 3 (~2gb @ 4k ultra, vanilla), can easily guzzle up 6-7gb of vram once you mod in the ability to tweak the settings above.

Permabanned
Ain't that the truth. It's the reason I never bought a card for 3 years. Just can't justify being ripped off with inflated pricing.

PC gaming's recent rise in popularity hasn't helped prices drop back down either, we're still being milked to an extent. If next gen conoles really do get proper keyboard & mouse support it's going to upset the balance a lot.

Soldato
PC gaming's recent rise in popularity hasn't helped prices drop back down either, we're still being milked to an extent. If next gen conoles really do get proper keyboard & mouse support it's going to upset the balance a lot.

I think the main reason consoles have stayed away from that is the casual nature and trying to keep everyone at the same level. Has to be pick up and play from a couch. And yes, I agree.. I a mouse and keyboard sort of system was made... Consoles would become more popular with fps gamers. Controllers suck. Getting decent fps rates would also actually be an issue though if they did that. Slide show on turns with mouse.

Soldato
That's quite encouraging. There has not been a toxic version since the 290x if I am remembering correctly. Hopefully it means the Navi chips have good headroom and that Sapphire are going the extra mile because they believe in the tech.

Ahh I loved my trusty 5850 toxic! I now need to make the hard decision on which to upgrade first... Either my 1070 to navi or my ryzen 1700 to the 3700x

Mmmm

Soldato
Ahh I loved my trusty 5850 toxic! I now need to make the hard decision on which to upgrade first... Either my 1070 to navi or my ryzen 1700 to the 3700x

Mmmm

Tough choice indeed. If you game at 1440p or above I would probably go with the gpu as in games you would probably benefit more. The 1700 if you have it boost around 4.0ghz should not really be impacting performance much. Ram speed also helps Ryzen a lot. I game at 4k so my 2700x at 4.25ghz is as good as any chip to push the Vega64. My next purchase will be something above the Vega 7 as I want more gpu power. My mobo and ram should be a good fit for Ryzen 3000 as it's the Asus Crosshair 7 hero x470 board. Might miss out on a few features of zen 2 but supposedly good for PCI-e 4.

Last edited:
Soldato
@TheRealDeal yeah I've got it clocked to 3.8 at the moment so may try to squeeze a bit more out of it. I've got the 8pack 3200 bdie ram which luckily ran out of the box but could work on the timings.

Im swaying towards navi but may hold off on the bechmarks

Soldato
@TheRealDeal yeah I've got it clocked to 3.8 at the moment so may try to squeeze a bit more out of it. I've got the 8pack 3200 bdie ram which luckily ran out of the box but could work on the timings.

Im swaying towards navi but may hold off on the bechmarks

That's the same Ram as mine. Just went into bios and set the D.O.C.P. to 3200 which gives decent timings. Overall very impressed with the system. Vega 64 at 4k is pushed to its limits but with some tweaking in games its decent with Freesync helping smooth things out.

Permabanned
Today we're seeing Navi compared to the 2070 in Strange Brigade, It reminds me of Vega being compared to the 1080 in Doom & we all know how that went. AMD will continue price matching like they did with the VII. They'll ignore the Ray tracing feature Nvidia's RTX range has & write it off as not being a value adding feature at this point in time meaning they won't consider not having it a reason to lower pricing.
OFC AMD found best scaling ggame (I never heard of) where it shines and say WE ARE CRUSHING COMPETITION.

Back
Top Bottom