*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Those with a USG, has anyone bothered using an alternate DNS server? Running a homelab, I find the USG a bit of a pain to be honest, mucking about adding static entries via command line etc.

I don't use the USG for internal DNS at all for lab or other internal services. Just use a linux box running Bind for the couple of DNS domains I use internally (different ones for lab and non-lab).

Caporegime
Well blow me down, someones actually started installing FTTP in Cambridge at a reasonable price too for 1Gb (though I'd probably go even cheaper as I've no real need for that). I've no real experience of it but they terminate in house with a Genexis Fibertwist: https://genexis.eu/content/uploads/2016/07/FiberTwist-brochure_2019.pdf. Any thoughts why that wouldn't work well with Unifi? I know the usg has limited throughput so would probably need to think about that if we do get it.

Soldato
So I am seriously considering a 2nd Gen controller from Unifi....but unsure why there is so little price difference between the two offerings?

The UCK-G2 is retailing at around £200
The UCK-G2-PLUS (which I am assuming is superior with its built in HDD/UPS etc) is around £179

Is there something about the G2 which is superior to the Plus that I am missing?

Man of Honour
Why don't you run the controller on a VM or something? Mine's on a Ubuntu VM and it's very quick. Or run it on a Pi?

Also new firmware out for switches, AP's and USG's were released over the weekend. No issues at home on the following:

qTiHeCX

Soldato
Why don't you run the controller on a VM or something? Mine's on a Ubuntu VM and it's very quick. Or run it on a Pi?

Also new firmware out for switches, AP's and USG's were released over the weekend. No issues at home on the following:

qTiHeCX
Good to know about the new firmware.

Not really interested in a DIY solution and find the hassle of using a windows PC to intermittently manage the network a pain. Just didn’t make sense that the controller with HDD and video surveillance capability is virtually the same price as the other one.

Associate
Not really interested in a DIY solution and find the hassle of using a windows PC to intermittently manage the network a pain. Just didn’t make sense that the controller with HDD and video surveillance capability is virtually the same price as the other one.

I seem to be the odd one out with my view, which is even with the negligible price difference I think the standard Gen 2 CK is better if the UniFi CCTV capability isn't essential.

For me that's because for CCTV use the CPU/HD bay size/software aren't up to the job and require Ubiquiti cameras, and when not using the CCTV features the hard disk is just one more thing to fail and makes the controller much larger.

Soldato
Is there something about the G2 which is superior to the Plus that I am missing?

I think it was priced like that because of stock shortages, they still seem hard to get a hold of where as the Plus is readily available. Unless you're going to use Protect and make use of the internal disk, I would just go with the standard G2 - UniFi Video is still being supported and updated with bug and security fixes, just not feature updates.

I ran a controller on my main Windows box for a while, but didn't like the fact it had to be constantly running to capture stats etc - I had a hosted controller on Vultr too as I had some spare credits, and then I was about to buy a Raspberry Pi to stick it on dedicated and found a original cloud key on eBay that seemed to have little interest, so stuck a bid in for £50 and won it for £39 - given a B+ with case and adapter and stuff ends up at roughly the same price, it was a no brainer.

Both Chris @ Cross Talk and Willie Howe both have really good guides on how to get the controller on to a VPS or Raspberry Pi, it's really straight forward.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Chris at Cross Talk is a very good recommendation. I followed his guide to run it in docker on my Synology. Makes things very easy to follow.

Soldato
Chris at Cross Talk is a very good recommendation. I followed his guide to run it in docker on my Synology. Makes things very easy to follow.

Thank you...does seem to make it much easier to follow. I’ll let you guys know how I get on and whether it was a wise £150 saved!

Soldato
All setup on the Pi...working well, thank you!

Only slight issue is that I have got Eth0 setup as 192.168.0.240 (static IP) and Wlan0 as 192.168.0.236

I can Putty through to the 240 address no problems but the Unifi page only works in Chrome via Wlan. I was hoping to disable the Wireless and just access the controller via ethernet. Any ideas as to what is going wrong?

EDIT - things have taken a turn for the worst! I used the migration option to load my backup from my windows controller...now the unifi homepage won't let me log in to the controller using my user/pass and the windows controller thinks the devices are being migrated...help!

Last edited:
Soldato
If you've restored a backup then that the controller on the Pi should import the user credentials from that backup so if you had different credentials set on the Windows and Pi controllers, try using the Windows server credentials.

It's normal that the Windows controller is saying the devices are being migrated, the controller on the Pi is taking control. Personally I'd disable the controller on the Windows box before importing the backup into the Pi controller.

I'm sure there's a way to control which interfaces the controller listens on, from memory it's in system.properties but I can't get at my controller to look. Edit - Have a look at this page for system_ip.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you've restored a backup then that the controller on the Pi should import the user credentials from that backup so if you had different credentials set on the Windows and Pi controllers, try using the Windows server credentials.

It's normal that the Windows controller is saying the devices are being migrated, the controller on the Pi is taking control. Personally I'd disable the controller on the Windows box before importing the backup into the Pi controller.

I'm sure there's a way to control which interfaces the controller listens on, from memory it's in system.properties but I can't get at my controller to look. Edit - Have a look at this page for system_ip.

Thanks that’s useful to know.

A quick google suggests that migrating is a bad idea...corruption is rife. They suggest to setup a new controller then restore. Will try again!

Soldato
Factory reset your devices and just adopt them in to the new fresh controller - it should only take you 10 mins to set everything back up and you can still have your Windows controller running in the background to copy the settings from, then uninstall it. Really wouldn't bother trying to migrate

Back
Top Bottom