Can any Youtubers on here help?

Associate
sadly there is no guarantee. one of my friend does it for a living but has been doing it for years. since fortnite came out he has made a decent wage from it but the early days was hit and miss. he started with trophy guides, as he was working along side game makers to get guides in place for their trophies, evolved it a little to more specific videos for games. He still does a lot of stuff for fortnite but he is planning his next step as once fortnite dies off a little he needs something new.

If you are going to do it great, just don't expect an overnight success

Caporegime
I just want advice on how to go about getting a fairly decent channel going and how to make decent videos with limited sources.

Find something that interests you to talk about and talk about it? you could probably have a channel dedicated to watching paint dry as long you're interesting and entertaining people will likely watch it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just want advice on how to go about getting a fairly decent channel going and how to make decent videos with limited sources.

As has been said, I don't think you should set out with an expectation of getting thousands of subscribers. It's hard, really hard. I'm closing on 20,000 subs and can still sometimes work for literally hours on a video for only 100-200 people to watch it. That gets you down a little!

As has also been said, just make videos for yourself and see what happens. If it starts to gain some traction then maybe invest a little in it.

If you're going to be making game videos, this might not apply, but many buy a decent camera and overlook the other things. A decent mic and decent lighting are probably more important.

Associate
OP
Then use krita or gimp? Both free and powerful editing programs

Never heard of Krita but Xara Photo and Graphic Designer're good and there's also Affinity Design and Affinity Photo
and with the Particle Effects add on for Paintshop Pro 2019, you HAVE GOT TO SEE THE EFFECTS you can add to your photos.
I've tried GIMP,

Caporegime
As has been said, I don't think you should set out with an expectation of getting thousands of subscribers. It's hard, really hard. I'm closing on 20,000 subs and can still sometimes work for literally hours on a video for only 100-200 people to watch it. That gets you down a little!

As has also been said, just make videos for yourself and see what happens. If it starts to gain some traction then maybe invest a little in it.

If you're going to be making game videos, this might not apply, but many buy a decent camera and overlook the other things. A decent mic and decent lighting are probably more important.

Gwan, giz a link!

Soldato
They want established proffessionals with a good profile and I don't have Photoshop (and it's the way Adobe go about things that put me off)

Unfortunately, that same mindset also applies to Youtube viewers - they want the larger established channels, and expect good content (both past and present), made to a professional standard - which is probably why new starts ups fail to make a go of Youtube. Worth bearing in mind, as anything less (for the masses) will usually mean they turn you off in seconds.

Another thing to consider, is how will you stand out? If you are going into a massively saturated platform, and then producing content in an equally saturated topic - what will you do different to draw folks in? Look at that lad in the States a few years ago - he had delusions of Youtube stardom, and promised that his channel would be as wild as he was - so decided to launch it by having his pregnant girlfriend fire a .50 caliber Desert Eagle at a book he was holding; that ended as well as it sounds!

Not that I'm suggesting you do anything to that level of stupidity, or even anything stupid - but you say yourself that there are people behaving like idiots on there, who get thousands of views likes - that's because similar idiots either enjoy that sort of thing, or are trying to get ideas off of them, to then make themselves more famous - think Dirty Sanchez copying what Jackass had already done.

You'd have to carry out gaming reviews, whilst playing a console/PC that's on fire, to stand out from the crowd - your hook could then be about how far you can actually get through a game before the equipment dies or you can't take the smoke inhalation any more. Feel free to use that idea if you like - but I'd expect it could mean quite a financial commitment to your new channel ;)

In all seriousness though, it's things THAT stupid that will attract the viewers, and to stand out from the crowd, you HAVE to do something different to stand at least a tiny chance of success - even if that success is only once, or for a fleeting period of time.

Man of Honour
I made some videos with my phone and uploaded them directly with no editing. One of those videos has like 10k views. I am a YouTube star AMA.

Soldato
Back in the day I had a retro channel that got a 300-400 views each video...I considered that a success.

Im starting up again with a political commentary type show. It's something I'm well researching for each video and my job is currently producing/editing so will be using those skills to bump up the production quality but....

Even after all that I realise that the grind is real and my plan to upload 2 videos a week may actually amount to absolutely nothing after years.

But that's fine as im doing it for me,to challenge me and to get out of my comfort zone. In my career being comfortable in front of the camera is a hot commodity so I'm doing it mainly to get that experience.

OP you need to treat your venture with the same mindset. The hope for a quick buck is very unlikely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom