*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Factory reset your devices and just adopt them in to the new fresh controller - it should only take you 10 mins to set everything back up and you can still have your Windows controller running in the background to copy the settings from, then uninstall it. Really wouldn't bother trying to migrate

Sorted thanks. Removed the installation of the controller. Setup a new controller on the Pi and then logged in using the new user/pass details. Restored from the latest backup and all working well. Now I need to sort out the access to the Pi and the project will be complete :)

Soldato
Migrating is generally fine in my experience. I've done numerous Linux to Linux and Windows to Linux migrations (the most recent one being 5.10.23 on Windows to 5.10.24 on Ubuntu on Monday) and am yet to have a problem.

Soldato
Migrating is generally fine in my experience. I've done numerous Linux to Linux and Windows to Linux migrations (the most recent one being 5.10.23 on Windows to 5.10.24 on Ubuntu on Monday) and am yet to have a problem.

I think my mistake was I hadn't logged out of the controller I was migrating from before adopting on the new controller. Anyway all has worked out well..thanks for all the help!

Certainly seems for £49 and the experience using the RaspPi as a controller is a no-brainer for a house environment.

Soldato
I asked before about how best to deploy to possibly deploy a Ubiquiti install in my bungalow. Unfortunately as with most things in life something came up which meant this project had to be shelved, but I'm now in a position where I can do something about it now.

When I purchased my home I did a lot of work to it including installing CAT6 cabling (24 ports) with a Network Rack in my Garage. CAT6 points are punched down to a patch panel and in-turn are connected to a 24 Port HP Procuve unmanaged GB switch.
I have Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (80/20) which comes into my BT master socket in my living room. The BT vDSL modem connects back to the garage where my ASUS AC66U router sits as well.

oZTaCKg.jpg

This is a photo of my install prior to it being finished as my Drobo NAS sits on the shelve below and the switch and patch panel are both full to capacity.

JPGSvIS.png

The red rectangle is my rack pictured above. My Wifi reception in my bedrooms at the back of the house isn't great. How many Unifi AP's would I need, and where would be the best placement of them? I will run CAT6 to them from my garage, mky house is about 112sqm and a modern timber frame construction.

When I asked before I looked at:

USG3
Unifi Switch 24 (non Poe) - Replacing the 24 port HP ProCurve
Unifi Switch 8-60w - To power the AP's and uplinked to the Unifi Switch 24 (non Poe)
AC Pro - Never decided how many where needed
Unifi Cloud Key

What should I look at now?

Caporegime
I asked before about how best to deploy to possibly deploy a Ubiquiti install in my bungalow. Unfortunately as with most things in life something came up which meant this project had to be shelved, but I'm now in a position where I can do something about it now.

When I purchased my home I did a lot of work to it including installing CAT6 cabling (24 ports) with a Network Rack in my Garage. CAT6 points are punched down to a patch panel and in-turn are connected to a 24 Port HP Procuve unmanaged GB switch.
I have Plusnet Unlimited Fibre (80/20) which comes into my BT master socket in my living room. The BT vDSL modem connects back to the garage where my ASUS AC66U router sits as well.

oZTaCKg.jpg

This is a photo of my install prior to it being finished as my Drobo NAS sits on the shelve below and the switch and patch panel are both full to capacity.

JPGSvIS.png

The red rectangle is my rack pictured above. My Wifi reception in my bedrooms at the back of the house isn't great. How many Unifi AP's would I need, and where would be the best placement of them? I will run CAT6 to them from my garage, mky house is about 112sqm and a modern timber frame construction.

When I asked before I looked at:

USG3
Unifi Switch 24 (non Poe) - Replacing the 24 port HP ProCurve
Unifi Switch 8-60w - To power the AP's and uplinked to the Unifi Switch 24 (non Poe)
AC Pro - Never decided how many where needed
Unifi Cloud Key

What should I look at now?

One in the study and another in the kitchen. Ceiling mounted. I would go for long range access points if it's a big bungalow otherwise nanoHD.

Soldato
One in the study and another in the kitchen. Ceiling mounted. I would go for long range access points if it's a big bungalow otherwise nanoHD.

Thanks for the reply.

When I last looked at deploying Unifi I was considering 3 AP's (one at each end of the Hall and a third in the Kitchen), I think this must've been before the nanoHD was available. I guess my original plan to use 3 AP's is now overkill given the performance of the nanoHD?

Looking into the nanoHD would I be correct in thinking that it slightly scarifies some throughput on 2.4Ghz channel to deliver superior 5GHz performance? I realise in a home environment I'll never fully maximise the full power of the AP anyway as it's designed for 200+ concurrent users.

Caporegime
Thanks for the reply.

When I last looked at deploying Unifi I was considering 3 AP's (one at each end of the Hall and a third in the Kitchen), I think this must've been before the nanoHD was available. I guess my original plan to use 3 AP's is now overkill given the performance of the nanoHD?

Looking into the nanoHD would I be correct in thinking that it slightly scarifies some throughput on 2.4Ghz channel to deliver superior 5GHz performance? I realise in a home environment I'll never fully maximise the full power of the AP anyway as it's designed for 200+ concurrent users.

nanohd is best in terms of bang per buck. as in very good value for money nothing comes close.

also 2 in the hall would be overkill and crowded. you need 1 for one side of the house and 1 for the other side. you could also do 1 hall and 1 in the bedroom with en suite

Soldato
nanohd is best in terms of bang per buck. as in very good value for money nothing comes close.

also 2 in the hall would be overkill and crowded. you need 1 for one side of the house and 1 for the other side. you could also do 1 hall and 1 in the bedroom with en suite

Thought that would be the case with the nanoHD being the best bang for buck in terms of cost to performance.

Thanks for clearing up my thinking about the AP placement. I just need to decide should be better placing the AP's across the width of the house (Kitchen and Study) or the length of the house (Hall and Master Bedroom with Ensuite), to produce the best coverage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought that would be the case with the nanoHD being the best bang for buck in terms of cost to performance.

Thanks for clearing up my thinking about the AP placement. I just need to decide should be better placing the AP's across the width of the house (Kitchen and Study) or the length of the house (Hall and Master Bedroom with Ensuite), to produce the best coverage.

I think I would go Living Room (to the right of the door opening) + Master Bedroom (above bed), that would give two rooms where the 5GHz would be unencumbered and presumably where mobile devices are most likely to be used for media content consumption. The Living Room one may be enough on its own but one in the Master Bedroom would extend coverage I think to the decked area.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions regarding the placements of the AP's. I've quickly marked up the plans above with the options just to get a clearer idea of what would work best throughout my home.

I want to get good coverage for both 2.4 and 5Ghz out on the deck in the summer.

High use wifi areas are The Kitchen (includes Utility, Kitchen and Dining Room - This was all knocked through to create open plan area), The Livingroom, Study and Master Bedroom with the EnSuite.

ZGFTHho.png L5aSiXV.png QmS9Xmx.png

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions regarding the placements of the AP's. I've quickly marked up the plans above with the options just to get a clearer idea of what would work best throughout my home.

I want to get good coverage for both 2.4 and 5Ghz out on the deck in the summer.

High use wifi areas are The Kitchen (includes Utility, Kitchen and Dining Room - This was all knocked through to create open plan area), The Livingroom, Study and Master Bedroom with the EnSuite.

ZGFTHho.png L5aSiXV.png QmS9Xmx.png
In that case i'd move the living room one to just under where it says 'hall'. The signal will only need to pass through one wall to get to any of the front rooms including the office. I'd move the bedroom one back so it's centered with the window as glass is probably less of a barrier than an outside wall.

Soldato
You guys come across the best settings for seamless roaming between APs?

Going to try THIS but wondered if any of you had any good experience?

At work there's not an issue really given the thick walls and spread of APs, but at home when walking around with my phone or iPad, the connection can be a little annoying handing over to different APs. Sometimes it will change it's mind or just take longer than ideal.

Last edited:
Soldato

Try to use different channels, if you can use a minimum RSSI (-75 is a good start). At home I tend to run 2.4G on low and 5G on high power as well as band steering to help "push" devices onto 5Ghz and then to roam with the minimum RSSI.

That's about the most you can do really.

Soldato

Going to try THIS but wondered if any of you had any good experience?

At work there's not an issue really given the thick walls and spread of APs, but at home when walking around with my phone or iPad, the connection can be a little annoying handing over to different APs. Sometimes it will change it's mind or just take longer than ideal.

Which APs are you running? The Gen2 APs all support meshing/up-link - down-link config and it works quite well, although i think it's still classed as BETA. I have two AC-Lites at either side of the house, hand off between the two is barely noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom