• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any news on the 3080ti

Soldato
I seriously doubt it can maintain 60fps at all times, with no drops, even without RT (if you want to max settings), so a more powerful card, even with the current games, is more than welcomed - at a decent price, of course.

That's because devs have become lazy

Take Rage 2 - looks like ass, runs like ass and doesn't matter how much you throw at it

This is something I've brought up previously - the more we upgrade our graphics cards the lazier devs become in optimization

Soldato
I played it using a 3770k, DDR3 and a 1080Ti on a 1440p panel with no performance issues, everything maxed.

120fps?

We were discussing 4k 60fps, the 1440p equivalent is 120fps at 1440p

As you can see below, a 5ghz 9900k and 2100mhz 2080ti isn't enough to prevent drops under 60fps

Soldato

Take Rage 2 - looks like ass, runs like ass and doesn't matter how much you throw at it

This is something I've brought up previously - the more we upgrade our graphics cards the lazier devs become in optimization

I wouldn't call them lazy necessarily. I guess most of the time is due to reasons like time (and the money spent/lost) plus talent. We all know the basic level of hardware for which games are developed is the console: PS4 (original) and xbox. On top of that a lot of settings kill performance without much image quality in return - and for sure RT is one of them.

So it kinda depends of what settings and fps you want at a certain resolution, but for sure I wouldn't say 2080ti is more than enough at 4k@60fps (that means never drop under 60). :)

Soldato
but for sure I wouldn't say 2080ti is more than enough at 4k@60fps (that means never drop under 60). :)

You should. You can always increase graphics settings to kill any card - RTX and Hairworks are the obvious two - but if you set graphics at the console level which is typically Medium settings, then you'll hit your target. And then some.

Mobster
Soldato
No rush, nothing is coming close to the 2080Ti and they are still on 14nm. There may be other models out soon-ish, but I'm sure there wont be any news whatsoever for 3080ti this year, if there is it will be all rumour based.

Soldato
Doubt we will see anything this year, no need, they have no competition. AFAIK we will be seeing a possible refresh with faster memory apparently but who knows.

120fps?

We were discussing 4k 60fps, the 1440p equivalent is 120fps at 1440p

4k 60hz would still be more demanding then 120hz @ 1440p. 1440p resolution doubled is still roughly a million pixels off 4k (3840 x 2160). Your looking at 135FPS at 1440p to be roughly similar to 4k @ 60hz in terms of render requirements.

Associate
I'd like to buy a VR headset but all the ones on the market so far are a bit meh
You really need to take the plunge. The Index is looking like the headset to get IMO. But even my Vive has been an incredible experience. 2D games are OK, but in VR you're in the game - things like display resolution become irrelevant. Having a better GPU though dramatically improves things as you can supersample.

Associate
I doubt that. With consoles, devs have to get their engines performant on lesser hardware than the average gaming PC. Although we hate ports, this often benefits the PC versions, although optimisations for ultra settings that a lot of the time only benefits a small fraction of the PC gaming community will not be their primary focus.

Associate
I doubt that. With consoles, devs have to get their engines performant on lesser hardware than the average gaming PC. Although we hate ports, this often benefits the PC versions, although optimisations for ultra settings that a lot of the time only benefits a small fraction of the PC gaming community will not be their primary focus.
it depends on how far back you think. Consider the days where memory was limited and games/programs had to run directly off tape/disk/cartridges, there’s a good argument that older programmers had to be more skilful and hardware-knowledgeable to get decent performance out of the hardware compared with today’s systems.

Soldato
I'll wait for next gen as well. I hope Intel will bring some competition to the market and make nvidia reconsider it's pricing strategy.

Call me a cynical old ******* but i highly doubt Intel would do that. They'd probably price it within £50 to maximise their profits. (As indeed would AMD or any other for profit business..)

Associate
it depends on how far back you think. Consider the days where memory was limited and games/programs had to run directly off tape/disk/cartridges, there’s a good argument that older programmers had to be more skilful and hardware-knowledgeable to get decent performance out of the hardware compared with today’s systems.
Those days people coded against the raw metal. I'm referring to today's x86-based consoles - they have abstraction layers with the OS which makes things a bit simpler. No developer is going to try to code a game at the raw base level every time - that would effectively mean writing their own OS. I certainly wouldn't want a game screwing around directly with my hardware, especially the storage.

Developers will focus on optimising for the hardware that's most prolific. Looking at the Steam hardware figures, that simply isn't someone with a 2080Ti or even a 1080, although those will still usually benefit.

Back
Top Bottom