Gas Hobs

Soldato
Hi all,

Im in the market for a new gas hob.

4 burners and either AEG, Bosch or Neff - im getting it from John Lewis and the wife has a voucher which will help towards installation costs (£100).

Now, i assume getting them to install it is best from a safety and practicality aspect?

Also, i do NOT want stainless steel - it scratches no matter how hard i try not to and the current one i have (AEG) has only been used for 4 years and the black AEG logo and associated markings on the controls are wearinmg off which is really annoying. Also one of the controls has completely seized and i cant move it - it literally happened over night and ill be damned if i know why - my hob is pristine!

Can you folks let me know if you have any experiences with black hobs, glass hobs etc? Im basically looking for quality and durability and want to avopid scratching at all costs.

Any recommendations also welcome - £350 max ish.

Cheers

Associate
Hi all,

Im in the market for a new gas hob.

Can you folks let me know if you have any experiences with black hobs, glass hobs etc? Im basically looking for quality and durability and want to avopid scratching at all costs.

Any recommendations also welcome - £350 max ish.

Cheers

So do you want a glass hob or a gas one because I don’t think they exist as the same thing, admittedly I haven’t looked.

Also I have a black glass induction hob and it’s lasted well, it has 1 maybe 2 scratches but I put that down to carelessness and sliding metal trays on to it from the oven and not using a trivet otherwise it’s really good and has lasted very well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So do you want a glass hob or a gas one because I don’t think they exist as the same thing, admittedly I haven’t looked.

Also I have a black glass induction hob and it’s lasted well, it has 1 maybe 2 scratches but I put that down to carelessness and sliding metal trays on to it from the oven and not using a trivet otherwise it’s really good and has lasted very well.

It has to be gas and not stainless steel basically - primarily because I’ve spent the last 4 years actively trying to avoid using anything other than kittens to clean my stainless hob as it scratches so easily

Associate
We installed a Bosch black glass gas hob a couple of years ago. I don't remember the model number but this one looks similar:
https://ao.com/product/ppp6a6b90-bo...N=MDA Genie - Hobs - Bosch&WT.z_AG=Brand Type

The base is glass but the area surrounding the burner is not glass, I think it's some sort of enamel. In 2 years we don't have any scratches on it, we clean it with normal kitchen spray, kitchen roll and glass cleaner and a cloth. It is a bit of a pain to keep it looking clean though!

Soldato
OP
We installed a Bosch black glass gas hob a couple of years ago. I don't remember the model number but this one looks similar:
https://ao.com/product/ppp6a6b90-bosch-serie-6-gas-hob-black-47711-41.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDAax-n4okqwj_ki4fKjPjEudUNkMku2dkZiYX9scdWxaFrehh9pjYhoCzsgQAvD_BwE&&WT.z_PT=MDA&WT.z_AT=gas hob&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_MAT=Bosch&WT.z_FT=Built In&WT.z_PC=PPP6A6B90_BK&WT.srch=1&WT.z_KW=PPP6A6B90_BK&WT.z_DT=m&WT.z_RTM=PLA&ef_id=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDAax-n4okqwj_ki4fKjPjEudUNkMku2dkZiYX9scdWxaFrehh9pjYhoCzsgQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8149!3!285222874007!!!g!321138451185!&&WT.z_CN=MDA Genie - Hobs - Bosch&WT.z_AG=Brand Type

The base is glass but the area surrounding the burner is not glass, I think it's some sort of enamel. In 2 years we don't have any scratches on it, we clean it with normal kitchen spray, kitchen roll and glass cleaner and a cloth. It is a bit of a pain to keep it looking clean though!

Thank for this - I wouldn’t go whirlpool for quality reasons although I do like the sound of that protection stuff.

The kitchen aid one does look good but the space I have is for a 4 burner hob and I don’t need bigger.

Thanks again!

Soldato
OP
https://ao.com/product/ppp6a6b90-bosch-serie-6-gas-hob-black-47711-41.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDAax-n4okqwj_ki4fKjPjEudUNkMku2dkZiYX9scdWxaFrehh9pjYhoCzsgQAvD_BwE&&WT.z_PT=MDA&WT.z_AT=gas hob&WT.z_MT=Search&WT.z_MAT=Bosch&WT.z_FT=Built In&WT.z_PC=PPP6A6B90_BK&WT.srch=1&WT.z_KW=PPP6A6B90_BK&WT.z_DT=m&WT.z_RTM=PLA&ef_id=CjwKCAjw27jnBRBuEiwAdjQXDAax-n4okqwj_ki4fKjPjEudUNkMku2dkZiYX9scdWxaFrehh9pjYhoCzsgQAvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!8149!3!285222874007!!!g!321138451185!&&WT.z_CN=MDA Genie - Hobs - Bosch&WT.z_AG=Brand Type

Did you install it yourself?

Soldato
We've got a Neff T69S76NO which is a doddle to clean. The pan rests go in the dishwasher and anything that's stubborn on the glass gets a quick scrape with a window scraper and with the glass being glass it doesn't scratch.

I know you're looking for a 4 burner hob so I think the Neff glass ones are worth a look.

Soldato
or the kitchen aid variant
they have 4 burner ones with the stainless coating http://jmmpr.co.uk/whirlpool’s-new-pos-for-ixelium-gas-hobs/
Tests carried out at the laboratories of TÜV Rheinland in Italy have given the durability of iXelium an emphatic endorsement. The surface of iXelium stainless steel always stays shiny and flawless over time, resisting abrasions and high temperatures.
The tests showed that the resistance of iXelium to corrosion is six times higher than that of a traditional steel hob, as well as 15 levels higher for being more scratch resistant. iXelium is also six times better at resisting the yellowing that comes from high cooking temperatures over a long period.

black stuff look sombre too (... and wouldn't match our sink/hood)

Soldato
Bosch SS gas job (5 burner 75cm), I know what you mean about scratches - the Mrs is careful.

The nice thing (an neff have it too) is the selecting of the flame is digital. So you get the same flame if you select the same number.

Soldato
One of the tv cook shows is using kitchen aid induction hobs - they look pretty cool,
https://www.kitchenaid.co.uk/major-...b-flush-installation-khimf-66500/859991548750

Moreover, they use the same resistant coating they have on their stainless gas hobs ... so they must believe in it

This 65cm GOURMET induction hob with flush installation is part of our Premium line. The hob has a minimalist aesthetic, with Ixelium on-glass treatment for everlasting beauty, easy cleaning and resistance to scratches. You can achieve professional results and enjoy freedom and flexibility with more space, dynamic surface and sensors. This model has 6 cooking zones (4 of which are independent) and French plaque with different intensities of heat. Sous chef functions help you to manage common functions and multi-task: 8 SOUS CHEF FUNCTIONS Melting Simmering Keep Warm Boiling Moka Griddle Pan Fry Deep Frying The user interface features text display and touch slider.

Back
Top Bottom