Made in England

Soldato
OP
Will be ironic that all imports will shoot up due to brexit then all the brexiteers will be complaining. (that's my prediction, sorry about mentioning the b word). You can see the cost difference on eBay quite easily, anything from China tends to be cheapest but comes on a slow boat. Pay a premium for UK stuff but have it sooner.
Most stuff from China is rubbish though isn't it, no British safety standard kite marks!

Soldato
OP
It should be made obvious that the product is made in the UK, give people the information and I am sure many would choose to buy British. Much like they by vegan or fairtrade goods.

Soldato
I looked at the Made in England Doc Martens. For an additional £40 (being generous here as the cheapest Made in England boot is £170), they're just not worth it.

I'd happily buy more stuff made in England, but from what I've seen of English people it's unlikely to be as good quality as the Chinese version for a similar price.

Soldato
It should be made obvious that the product is made in the UK, give people the information and I am sure many would choose to buy British. Much like they by vegan or fairtrade goods.

Spending more for goods manufactured locally is likley to save money in the longer term since the cash is circulated within the local economy rather than being exported to a foreign one.

(mechanism similar to Keynesian multiplier perhaps?)

This is the real damage that "EU Workers" cause in places like Scunthorpe. Unlike the local workers, the Poles (Say) send a good part of their earnings back to Poland which sucks the life out of the local economy.

Soldato
The effect is the same, since the government doesn't generate money. If the government is using money to pay companies to make and sell products in the UK, that money is coming from the UK and, ultimately, from you (and me and everyone else).

I think I'd be willing to pay the 10% extra on at least some things because I think in the long run I'd be better off doing so. It's better for the economy and it's better for the environment.

Although maybe not for the economy. There's a difference between "made in the UK (by a UK company employing people in the UK" and "made in the UK (by machines owned by a foreign company that employs hardly anyone in the UK)". It's no longer the case that local manufacturing definitely helps that country's economy.

This exactly, there's nothing more needs adding.

Man of Honour
Yes I have bought several British made jackets and shoes recently.

I always look for British alternatives as long as they don't cost a huge amount more. I am OK with spending a little more though.

Recently I have absolutely refused to buy apples grown anywhere but Britain. Ut's only a small gesture but if it helps British farmers then I don't see why I would buy similar apples from another country.

Caporegime
A country of shop keeps does not simply make things.

We can never by like the us or China which has a huge homogenous market for companies to grow in, any company here is destined to be sold off to foreign buyers.

Food is entirely whatever, it’s something I absolutely need and therefore have little care about fictional ideas of quality, it’s the cheapest every time, don’t care if comes from Israel, Cambodia or Cornwall. I’m not going to buy a £2 pepper because it’s british where the expanded cost is due to synthetic agriculture, **** that.

Half the time it doesn’t even matter where you go for the food, you aren’t ensuring anything when you buy super gourmet **** from Waitrose at 500% expense, it’s the same food as Lidl’s.

The only thing Britain does well is moving money, end of story.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Does Even the MOD use all British made stuff?
Nope they use whoever puts in the cheapest bid pretty much, IIRC there was grumblings a couple of years ago when they decided to go with Swedish (i think) steel to build some of our kit rather than use British although in that case I think it was simply down to the quality needed.

Soldato
Nope they use whoever puts in the cheapest bid pretty much, IIRC there was grumblings a couple of years ago when they decided to go with Swedish (i think) steel to build some of our kit rather than use British although in that case I think it was simply down to the quality needed.

That would because the quality and reliability of supply for “British” steel has gone done the pan under Indian ownership.

Soldato

This is an incredibly naive and simplistic view. What does 'made in the UK' actually mean and how much of the product needs to be made in the UK? Assembled in the UK would be far more accurate for many of the goods 'made' here, as more often than not the component parts or raw materials have been produced elsewhere and imported.

Associate
Using the word 'brought' instead of bought instantly makes me think the person talking is of lower intelligence. Generalising here, not aimed at the OP.

It totally depends on the product. Would I pay 10% more for a car built here in the UK? no way. Would I pay 10% more to buy meat from local farms? Sure would and do already but that is because the meat is better due to not being moved about the continent in trucks.

Regarding China, if it wasn't for China we wouldn't have had such a growth in technology over the last 30 years. If it wasn't for the fruit and veg farms of Spain and north Africa, we wouldn't have access to some of the fruit and veg we get all year round.

We are all reliant on a global economy and it's good service. All you have to do is look around your desk (gadgets, toys etc..) or look at what you're eating for dinner to see that.

Soldato
DelightfulWealthyFanworms-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom