Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Impressive guys.

I've just done my third run of the week. The joys of working at home!

Definitely seem to be running faster than i used to but my lungs seem to be adapting now which feels good. Yesterday was the first time i've ran and not had to walk for a little to recover. However just done a quickish 5k (9:07min/mile) and my left calf feels a little sore. Am at a gig tonight so won't want to run tomorrow so that works as a decent recovery day.

Soldato
I used to be prior to the marathon for the most part. Although wouldn't say i did 10miles+ most of the time. Usually only did that once or twice a week. Usually i go around the 4-5 mile mark. Just find thats the right balance for time/effort.

I'm naturally very unfit though i've found, presumably from being a lazy git until about 28. So if i don't do much for a couple of weeks my stamina drops spectacularly. It's incredibly annoying! If i don't do anything for about a month i struggle to even run a mile! It does tend to come back after a few weeks of regular runs though.

Soldato
Just been out for run and did 21 miles I hit a block I would say at 18 but after 21 I just could not run anymore my legs felt like lead haha.

I have major respect for full marathon runners having been up to them levels now I think I will look into marathon training plans any recommendations?

I do run two hilly routes about 1000 feet in elevation according to runtastic probably not the most accurate but some mega steep hills on the route.

So thats 20 mile,10 mile,21 mile in 9 days quite happy with that going to rest up for a while now.

Underboss
realistically, how / when do you think i could be running half marathon distances ?

just to give me an idea really

my aim is to do my first half summer next year

im running 2-3 times a week, swimming Tuesday evenings
runs consist of anywhere from 3 miles up to 7 if i feel capable!

Soldato
realistically, how / when do you think i could be running half marathon distances ?

I hadnt gone past about 7.5 miles in over 10 years and managed to do the Manchester half marathon. The first 10miles were relatively easy but then started to struggle a little with hip pain but still got to the end in 2 hours 19 which I was happy with.

Soldato
I'd say you could probably run a half marathon now. Depends how quickly you want to do it. Running consistently is key to progress in my opinion.

@neilw How was your race? I was 95th male finisher, 10k in just under 42 mins.

Caporegime

If you can do 7 miles now and not feel like you are on your deathbed, then you could do a half in 3 no the quite happily. Not death of course, but running consistently through the whole 13miles .

Once a week do a long run and try to get that 7 miles increased slowly, 1 mile a week. After 3 weeks of long run runs on the 4th week you need to take a break and stick to a short run. Ifyou start feeling pain in a LR then stop immediately. Running farther is mostly just mental, so forcing a pattern of slow increaes will take you ghrough the mental barrier. An extra short run in the week will help a lot overall.

I would see if there is a half marathon in September for you. Might be useful to find a 10km race about 6 weeks before the half marathon as a test race.

Soldato
If you can do 7 miles now and not feel like you are on your deathbed, then you could do a half in 3 no the quite happily. Not death of course, but running consistently through the whole 13miles.

Once a week do a long run and try to get that 7 miles increased slowly, 1 mile a week. After 3 weeks of long-run runs on the 4th week, you need to take a break and stick to a short run. If you start feeling pain in an LR then stop immediately. Running farther is mostly just mental, so forcing a pattern of slow increase will take you through the mental barrier. An extra short run in the week will help a lot overall.

I would see if there is a half marathon in September for you. Might be useful to find a 10km race about 6 weeks before the half marathon as a test race.

While the advice is aimed at ShiWarror, I'd like to add my thanks. I've entered the Belfast Half in Septemeber (first one :eek:) and currently would do about 10miles on the LR once a week. I think I'd manage the extra 3 miles in the race without needing to cover them. :)

Soldato
Good to see you back in here @D.P.

How's your recovery going?

@ShiWarrior - I agree with the above, if you can do 7 miles without feeling dead then if you wanted you could probably do a half in a month as long as you didn't expect to break records. Although your first will always be a PB :p

For reference i did the Blackpool half last year, and if you look back on Strava i wasn't in much different shape in the run up to it. Think i managed a 10 mile around 8 weeks before, then had about 5 weeks of doing nothing (a pattern very similar to my marathon training!) and then just a few short runs prior to the race. I wasn't particularly fast and walked around 0.4 of every mile from about mile 9 onwards but i still made it round :)

Man of Honour
Good to see the running is going well for most of you. I did the Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday - it was both satisfying because it was a new PB at 3:17:47 despite poor weather and a rather interrupted training/sleep schedule for the last month due to a new baby but also vaguely unsatisfying because I don't think it properly represents the sort of time I was in the form to run. The weather was pretty unkind, rainy at the start of the day although that didn't bother me hugely but what did have an impact was after the turn at about mile 18/19 there were big headwinds on the exposed coast so I was losing 1+ minutes a mile compared to my previous pace despite putting in what felt like the same amount of effort. Still taking the positives from it, I've knocked over 4 minutes off my previous best and from looking at the results pretty much everyone was in the same boat and ruined by the wind, only a few people in the top 200 got even close to a negative split (the winner ran a 1:10 first half and a 1:20 second half) - I think I paced it fairly well on the way out (about 1:35 out and 1:43 back) as I knew my training had been limited in the final month but even so there wasn't much I could do about the conditions especially as the wind got worse during the race.

If I can I'll be hoping to set a few new PBs at shorter distances to capitalise on all the training I put into this, I'd already managed to knock almost 30 seconds off my previous best for 5km in the run up to the marathon so it should be possible to improve a bit further.

Soldato
Ordered some new trainers. Always an exciting time! We're off on holiday and i wanted something that isn't hideous and could be used both for running and also going out for the day

https://www.on-running.com/en-gb/products/cloudflyer-rust-stone-m

Not really heard much of the brand but reviews seem positive and from speaking with Runners Need on the phone they should be fairly suitable. Firm and supportive, without being a specifically stability based shoe.

Doubt i could get to my local Runners Need before going and they have a much better selection online.

Although this doesn't sound like me :p

The Right Shoe For: Speedy runners who need a little extra stability toward the end of long runs.

Underboss
Thanks for all your posts guys , thanks for all the advice

I will say this, i can only just do 7 miles at the moment, i cant go beyond that because its not physiological, its physical
I WANT to go further, when i did my last 7 miles, i had tingles on my right leg, and before that, i had the same thing but all down my leg, in my feet and toes
I think its because of the back injuries i have suffered over the years because my hip isn't quite right anymore.

When i run, my right leg feels shorter than my left, so i sometimes feel like i am hopping along the road !! lol

Back
Top Bottom