Electric Scooters

Si.

Si.

Soldato
Not sure if this is the right place for this.. but anyone here using an electric scooter? I'm thinking of getting gone for a daily commute to work. it's only approx. 10 km and relatively flat with lots of paths and cycle lanes to use.

I'm thinking of getting one of these:

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/accessories/xiaomi-mijia-m365-electric-scooter-review-3660427/

I know a bike would be better, but there a lot more expensive, harder to store and harder to use while still wearing office clothes.

Don
I know a bike would be better, but there a lot more expensive
£430 or whatever those scooters costs would buy a decent bike

harder to store and harder to use while still wearing office clothes.
Storage isn't really that much of an issue, and simple answer is to not wear office clothes - I have no issues taking a shirt and pair of trousers to work in a rucksack and getting changed at work.

it's only approx. 10 km and relatively flat with lots of paths and cycle lanes to use.
Most people would love a commute like that - certainly better than busy roads.

Soldato
I've been using an electric scooter for over 2 years now. I find it a great way to get about.

Although I've never had any issues from police, I'm looking forward to them being completely legal.

Soldato
I think because ebikes have pedals and restrictions on electrical assistance, you can't ride an ebike without pedaling so it's classed as a cycle..

Electric scooters are classed as vehicles.

Soldato
Although you seem to be able 'drive' those 4 wheeled electric disability vehicles on pavements... Maybe that's technically illegal too but it's just not enforced?

Soldato
I think because ebikes have pedals and restrictions on electrical assistance, you can't ride an ebike without pedaling so it's classed as a cycle..

Electric scooters are classed as vehicles.
Oh, I get the current law. But - mine was a response to the question above 'they don't seem to be suitable either for road or the pavement, so where do they go?'

They could easily inhabit any space that's currently acceptable for an e-bike. Realistically, it's just a more portable and compact e-bike without pedals, especially if you compare them to the electric Bromptons and other compact e-bikes.

Soldato
I mean - look at these two products.

OILtbTL.jpg

To say one is 100% legal and perfectly fine to ride - but the other is an illegal menace is madness. Bar the frame design they're virtually identical.

Soldato
Why should they treated any different to e-bikes?

The pavement is a no go for any bikes, so with road I think a bike is a bit more substantial object, those scooters are essentially like someone running on the road, which wouldn't be acceptable.

Not sure how to explain to be honest, hope that makes some sense.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
So.. I bought a M365 scooter not long ago and finding it enjoyable to use.

I do feel a bit vulnerable and out of place on the road at times, but got used to it.

It is really a good way of commuting and nipping around the city and if you have cycle lanes it is ideal.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well I am going to get one in the next 6 months, just seems more practical than a E-bike in that i can fold down the bars and stick it behind or under my desk and not have to carry a half a ton of chain with me.

Back
Top Bottom