Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
Got my delivery today, chocolate one is pretty nice. Much better than choc mint.

Think I'll stick with coffee flavour for breakfast...chocolate for afternoons.

Soldato
Got my delivery today, chocolate one is pretty nice. Much better than choc mint.

Think I'll stick with coffee flavour for breakfast...chocolate for afternoons.
I ended up ordering one those box of assorted flavourings and chocolate did seem pretty good when i tried the sample. My favourite ended up being Mocha which i wasn't expecting and even banana wasn't that bad(which is a flavouring i generally hate despite liking the fruit).

I have chocolate coming in my next order but i think ill have to push it back again as i accidentally double ordered so I've still got a lot of powder to get through. Fortunately berry and vanilla aren't that bad...

Associate
Do you guys use Huel as supplements or as a "proper" meal? I'm going for some dental surgery next month and have been adviced to avoid hot food for at least 2 weeks afterwards plus soft easy chewed food and am now looking into options for meals.

Soldato
Proper meal..

Body building/sports supplements are a different beast, protein powders for example typically are just very high in protein and with some other stuff chucked in to aid absorbtion, amino acids, maybe some vitamins etc.

Huel, whilst quite high in protein is more designed to be a balanced meal, with a full spread of proportioned fats, carbs, protein, vitamins and micronutrients.
So all you have to think about is how many calories you want the 'meal' to be, it's about 150cal per scoop, so you just put the appropriate number of scoops in according to the rest of your diet and activity levels depending if you want to lose, maintain or gain weight.

Last edited:
Associate
Proper meal..

Body building/sports supplements are a different beast, protein powders for example typically are just very high in protein and with some other stuff chucked in to aid absorbtion, amino acids, maybe some vitamins etc.

Huel, whilst quite high in protein is more designed to be a balanced meal, with a full spread of proportioned fats, carbs, protein, vitamins and micronutrients.
So all you have to think about is how many calories you want the 'meal' to be, it's about 150cal per scoop, so you just put the appropriate number of scoops in according to the rest of your diet and activity levels depending if you want to lose, maintain or gain weight.

Would be something I would look into a bit more. Specially when I'm going to be quite restricted with what I can eat for about 2 weeks. At the time I would probably most likely just want to maintain my weight.

Soldato
Would be something I would look into a bit more. Specially when I'm going to be quite restricted with what I can eat for about 2 weeks. At the time I would probably most likely just want to maintain my weight.

I've probably made it sound more complicated than it is, for the average person, 3 scoops would be a good lunch replacement at aporox 450cal. Use more or less depending on your requirements.

I'm trying to lose a bit of weight so I just have 2 scoops as a lunch replacement at work, saves me buying junk food or expensive pre packed samwitch meal deals from tesco or whatever.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's also worth buying the flavour pack as mentioned above, when ordering! Cheap enough and a good range of flavours to add too keep it interesting. And you don't need too much, the flavour sachets are pretty concentrated so you just need a sprinkle rather than dumping a full sachet in. I reckon you can get 5 servings out of each sachet. But it's very fine powder though so you have to be careful not to put too much in.

I went with vanilla huel and it's quite nice to add a bit of strawberry or caramel to make it more interesting, more like a milkshake.

Although I find the regular vanilla fine if a little dull.

I don't really fancy the banana or pineapple though but I've not tried them to comment.

Last edited:
Associate
Does it make you feel filled up? As when I work I generally do 12-13 hours in a hospital and pretty active at work so I tend to have breakfast at home, breakfast at work, then lunch and dinner at work when I do day shifts. Night shifts I generally survive on less food so maybe only would need a meal before work and something to top up half way through the shift.

Associate
Soldato
I would think it certainly would fit into that. That link from huel is simply marketing guff. Now how good that research linked in the article is to tell us useful information I’m not sure. Generally research studies on nutrition are pretty **** poor and there are so many confounding factors to adjust for.

What do you think is processed with Huel, the majority is just raw ingredients that are ground down technically a process but not an undesired one.

You clearly didn't read the link, regards what is meant by the term processed foods.
Everything you eat is processed to a degree. It's about separating the desirable processes and undesirable ones.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I would think it certainly would fit into that. That link from huel is simply marketing guff. Now how good that research linked in the article is to tell us useful information I’m not sure. Generally research studies on nutrition are pretty **** poor and there are so many confounding factors to adjust for.
It'll fit into processed but not the ultra processed group.

Soldato

Not at all.. ..
“Ultra-processed foods are made predominantly or entirely from industrial substances and contain little or no whole foods. They are ready to heat, drink, or eat.”

From huel website ..

Huel may not be a whole food but 97% of Huel is made from six main food ingredients: oats, rice, pea, flaxseed, sunflower and coconut which have been processed but the processing is kept to a minimum. All the nutritional values are based on the ingredients once processed, so what you see is what you get. In the case of the oats (the largest ingredient), they are taken from the field, milled, dehulled and heat-treated to prevent rancidity and nutrient degradation. With the rice and the pea, the protein has been extracted to provide the amino acids you need. The flaxseeds are merely ground and the sunflower and coconut have had their fats removed to provide the essential fats.

I think the article is referring to heavily processes food, microwave meals, takeaways sausages, burgers, etc that have loads of added fat, sugar, flavorings, preservatives etc.

Last edited:
Associate
What do you think is processed with Huel, the majority is just raw ingredients that are ground down technically a process but not an undesired one.

“With the brown rice and the pea, the protein has been extracted to provide the amino acids you need.”
What is this processing? Other parts it’s happy to say just grinding etc. I suspect more involved in this

“sunflower and coconut have had their fats removed to provide the essential fats”

Doesn’t state how this done either.

Then there is the 3% that they don’t even talk about.

As I stated I would be dubious of the research anyway, but to think that there is not a lot of processing in huel I suspect is naive. I suspect a lot of foods you would clearly consider heavily processed will be able to state very high percentages of ‘whole’ or minimally processed foods also.

I don’t think Huel is going to be killing you. I don’t think it’s Soylent green, but I do think that page is marketing guff

Back
Top Bottom