Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Anyone else running Rasplex on a Pi2B?

I've been running one for a while, but recently started getting a temperature warning, and a few crashes/freezes (every time I've used it recently) which I've never had before. Has anyone had something similar? I'm going to try re-installing rasplex in case it's a SW issue, but I'm concerned my Pi2 is on the way out...

Don
Personally I think it's risky running DHCP on the Pi.

At least if it's DNS only, you can set your router to fall back to a secondary DNS. If you Pi SD card dies, then you lose DHCP and DNS.

But each to his own :)

Don
Going to start working on a little project. Turning a Pi into a rackmount temperature monitor, with LCD, email alerts, hopefully SNMP alerts, maybe even audible alarm.

I know similar products exist off the shelf, but should be a nice learning experience :)

Soldato
Personally I think it's risky running DHCP on the Pi.

At least if it's DNS only, you can set your router to fall back to a secondary DNS. If you Pi SD card dies, then you lose DHCP and DNS.

But each to his own :)

True, but it's Sky, so the options are limited without a router swap - the other option is to virtualise, but that also has limitations.

Associate
Does the sky router not allow separation between dhcp ip addressing and dhcp assigned DNS?
Also surely leaving Sky DHCP on and setting windows (or other devices) to point to pihole will work, means its a config change to each device but... hey.

Associate
My piHole has been running fine for a year or more. I wasn't going to keep using DHCP on my router and manually change all the devices, in fact in some cases I'm not sure I'd know how to.

Soldato
Does the sky router not allow separation between dhcp ip addressing and dhcp assigned DNS?
Also surely leaving Sky DHCP on and setting windows (or other devices) to point to pihole will work, means its a config change to each device but... hey.

Don't know about Q but the standard sky router does, yep. You don't need to turn DHCP off on the router to run a pihole. Allowing pihole to handle DHCP does make things easier to understand but it's not a requirement.

Associate
Got mine running PiHole too and acting as a stealth AP with a hidden SSID just point all the "smart" items to it and have them run from there. My way of isolating them i guess.

Thinking of picking up another tbh and running PiVpn but not sure on how i'd want to use it really.

Associate
You can just do it like that yes and it works fine, i have my own router sending out my pi holes address instead but still handling dhcp for addressing and its fine. But you could do it loads of ways.

I dont use a pi now for pihole, my current kit is an Odroid C2 doing the biz. its overkill as mostly all its doing is pihole but its still great and has head room if i want to do more.
Could really do with a SBC with two proper network ports at a gig each on it for firewalling, not some half arsed usb>lan setup like the pi.

Soldato
Feeling the urge to play about with Raspberry Pi's again, but getting a little lost when looking into various HAT / GPIO options. Is there a guide that anyone is aware of which explains how you can work out what things can be stacked and what can't?
I've seen some posts explaining that you stack different items without issue - but not multiple of the same, some comments suggest you need exclusive use of connections per device (so fine to have mutliple bits connected up providing they're not clashing at all).
Quite like the idea of making Alarm/timer, so buttons to set the time and start the countdown, a screen to show it and a buzzer/lights to signify it's hitting zero. Currently not got a digital timer in the kitchen for cooking and figured a Pi one would be fun to make.

Man of Honour
Feeling the urge to play about with Raspberry Pi's again, but getting a little lost when looking into various HAT / GPIO options. Is there a guide that anyone is aware of which explains how you can work out what things can be stacked and what can't?
I've seen some posts explaining that you stack different items without issue - but not multiple of the same, some comments suggest you need exclusive use of connections per device (so fine to have mutliple bits connected up providing they're not clashing at all).
Quite like the idea of making Alarm/timer, so buttons to set the time and start the countdown, a screen to show it and a buzzer/lights to signify it's hitting zero. Currently not got a digital timer in the kitchen for cooking and figured a Pi one would be fun to make.

It would depend on the type of devices you''re connecting. With I2C you get Device address clashes.

For an Alarm/timer type product an Arduino Nano/Teensy LC is much more suitable IMHO.

For displays the 1.3" SH1106 based OLEDs on eBay work really nicely.

Commissario
The Raspberry Pi 4 is out, comes in three flavours, 1Gb, 2Gb and 4Gb at £34, £44 and £54 respectively. Same form factor as the 3B+.

• 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A72 CPU ( ARM v8, BCM2837)
  • 1GB, 2GB or 4GB RAM (LPDDR4)
  • On-board wireless LAN - dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac
  • On-board Bluetooth 5.0, low-energy (BLE)
  • 2x USB 3.0 ports, 2x USB 2.0 ports
  • Gigabit ethernet
  • Power-over-Ethernet (requires additional Raspberry Pi PoE HAT)
  • 40-pin GPIO header
  • 2× micro-HDMI ports (up to 4Kp60 supported)
  • H.265 (4Kp60 decode)
  • H.264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
  • OpenGL ES, 3.0 graphics
  • DSI display port, CSI camera port
  • Combined 3.5mm analog audio and composite video jack
  • Micro-SD card slot
  • USB-C power

The power requirements have changed, it now needs a 3 amp PSU and it's a USB-C connector so for most of us, we won't simply be able to replace an existing Pi with the new model without swapping the PSU as well. I only have one Pi that's constantly running at a relatively high CPU load (around 25%) but because it's mounted at the top of a 10m mast outside and fed via PoE, it won't be an easy swap so I won't even consider it for the time being.

I've not ordered one.

Back
Top Bottom