• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Don
Because of different electrical specifications, no? Why doesn't my NVMe XPG S11 Pro 512GB PCIe 3.0 x4 work in my Acer Nitro 5's M.2 slot?

NVMe and SATA are completely different connection/signalling standards that just happen to be bundled up into a single form factor.

But it could have been that the SSD could have supported NVMe and SATA, no? But it doesn't.
No because it would increase complexity and cost by having the controller support both.

Ideally they will just drop M2/SATA completely, leaving M2/NVMe drives, and actual 2.5" SATA drives.

Caporegime
Anyone had a drop in performance on Cinbench? around 20%?

MS have been ####'ing up a lot lately with Ryzen performance killing updates to win 10, Joker Production just launched a video about 1809 breaking Ryzen stability.....

So out of curiosity i did a Cinebench run, should be scoring near 1300, am scoring around 1100, ST should be 160, is 120, rebooting ecte.... doesn't fix it, it's stuck like this.

Soldato
Wouldn't worry about pcie4 becoming obsolete. Consoles drive games heavily and the ps5 looks likely to be an adopter of tech barely pushing 4. A refresh console will probably take full advantage but that's years away and will have a shelf life of years again. Pcie3 top end nvme will be good for years.

Soldato
We have a problem right here. Should we buy boards with 4.0 which will become obsolete in only 2 years or should we wait 2 years, skip 4.0 and jump directly to 5.0.
What will happen to the 4.0 SSDs, will they be developed or the manufacturers like XPG will go straight 5.0?!

I faced the choice at the start of the year whether to hang on 7-8 months for a PCI-Ev4 board or go ahead and upgrade. I don't like buying on the wrong side of a technology leap but it was the right decision to do so. I've had six months of benefit from the new hardware and there's very little that requires 4.0 yet. I'll likely skip 4.0 entirely and buy in with 5.0 five years from now.

Soldato
They released (officially announced) PCI Express 4.0 in 2017. So we've got at least until 2021 for 5.0 I would have thought.

More like 2011, the only reason we're really getting PCIe 4.0 now is because AMD's Zen uses a slightly modified version for their Infinity Fabric.

I would imagine they'll want to move to PCIe 5.0 quicker than the previous eight year wait for obvious reasons so we may possibly get it, along with DDR5, when they move to a new socket.

Back
Top Bottom