• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Would you buy a R5 2600 now?

Soldato
Couple of friends have reached the end of the road with their setups. One is on an A10 7850K and the other still on an A8 6600K, really got the moneys worth from it!

The 2600 looks to be an excellent price in the UK at the moment, and would be a massive step up from both CPUs. Just not sure if it's the best thing to be buying with the successors coming out in a couple months.
Price is one of the most important factors in one of the builds, so would you wait for what's coming out and hope for decent pricing, or would you buy a known good CPU at their current price?

For those who have it, how is the stock cooler with the 2600?

Soldato
The Ryzen 3000 series are, admittedly by mostly rumours and leaks, going to be very good cpu's and on par or beating Intel offerings. Though it is also likely that this performance will come at a cost with most people predicting that the 3000 series will be slightly above the release prices of the 2000 series.

As such, for the build where budget is one of the most important factors I'd consider the 2600. The price of it is very good right now and, while not the outright fastest cpu out there, it is a very capable CPU. My only slight doubt would be that if budget is that much of a factor are the prices of the 2000 series CPU's likely to drop more the closer we get to the 3000 release or even after the launch.

Edit: It also occurred to me that waiting may also be worth it is your friend doesn't mind second hand. It is likely that there will be an influx of second hand 2000 series CPU's once the 3000 series is released.

For the other, where budget isn't such a factor then if the budget is likely to be able to cover the predicted price of the 3000 series then I'd definitely say wait. You want the best performance for the budget and this is likely to come with the release of the 3000 series.

As for the stock cooler, I've never used one but by all accounts there quite capable coolers if a little noisy at higher fan rpm's.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Personally no, not with Ryzen 3000 and the new motherboards so close to launch now. I wish that I had waited instead of giving Intel more money for a tiny performance increase (from a 4790k) back in November but I was impatient. Even if you don't buy one of the new cpu's/boards there could be even better deals on the 2000 series at launch to clear old stock and the MM will probably be flooded with Ryzen 1000/2000 and boards from people upgrading.

Soldato
Bought a 2600X in March, no regrets and wont be upgrading. I wont see any benefit in gaming so whats the point, as long as the GPU isn't being bottle necked it doesn't matter, you only need to upgrade a gaming machines CPU when the GPU is bottle necked

For productivity builds its another matter though

Man of Honour
The stock cooler on the 2600 is basic and a step down from the one AMD previously bundled but does the job though you might see temperatures getting a little warm under intensive tasks.

Associate
I've just snagged a 2700 for £150 off fleabay. Combined with the msi tomahawk and some decent 3200mhz ram £180 for both that's a very respectable 8 core machine for £328. When you factor that the entry level 6 core 3600 will likely be £250 alone after gouging i don't reckon that's bad. Plus it gives me the option to jump on zen 2 at a later date once the prices are not as mental

Associate
The stock cooler that comes bundled with the R5 2600 is the wraith stealth. It's just about adequate for stock clocks, but if you're doing any overclocking you'd definitely want to use an aftermarket cooler.

Soldato
Couple of friends have reached the end of the road with their setups. One is on an A10 7850K and the other still on an A8 6600K, really got the moneys worth from it!

The 2600 looks to be an excellent price in the UK at the moment, and would be a massive step up from both CPUs. Just not sure if it's the best thing to be buying with the successors coming out in a couple months.
Price is one of the most important factors in one of the builds, so would you wait for what's coming out and hope for decent pricing, or would you buy a known good CPU at their current price?

For those who have it, how is the stock cooler with the 2600?

Here is my review of the Ryzen 5 2600:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/cats-mini-itx-ryzen-5-review.18833557/

I used both the stock cooler and the cooler from the Ryzen 5 2600X.

Erm? depends on price (both CPU and boards) and confirmed performance, probably not, Ryzen 3000 is looking good, just depends on pricing.

$199 for the Ryzen 5 3600,which would work out at £190 to £200 at the current exchange rate.

You can get Ryzen 5 2600 and RX570 bundles for as low as £225!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies all. It's always better to wait for the next CPU, but with the current being under £135 (non X) then it's difficult, as it's not far off of a steal just now. B450 boards can also be snapped up for solid prices, that I'd think the new ones wont reach for some time.

Soldato
as long as the GPU isn't being bottle necked it doesn't matter, you only need to upgrade a gaming machines CPU when the GPU is bottle necked
That absolute nonsense. The CPU feeds the GPU. If you have a junk CPU, the GPU can still be 100% at 4K. But you will get much better FPS with a CPU that can supply the GPU with more data. The GPU will still be 100%. But its got more to work with, therefore higher FPS.

Associate
Nah 2666 stuff, but the last lot I had ran at 3000+ with default 1.2v, and at 1.4v 3400+ I'm really liking the newer Micron E-die stuff. :)
Nice. Just goes to show there's some serious savings to be made on memory if you don't mind tweaking a bit. I opted for 3200 cl16 from ocuk yesterday as i cba with the faff

Soldato
That absolute nonsense. The CPU feeds the GPU. If you have a junk CPU, the GPU can still be 100% at 4K. But you will get much better FPS with a CPU that can supply the GPU with more data. The GPU will still be 100%. But its got more to work with, therefore higher FPS.

Where I said "you" I should have said "I" I'm talking from my experience of my own setup, bit harsh saying it's nonsense though, what are the gains on moving from Ryzen 2 to 3 in gaming? Or even first gen. No one knows yet but is it worth the cost? Doubt it.

Associate
I have a 2600 and a 2700x and I would honestly say that the 2600 can be had for relative buttons at the moment for obvious reasons and its still excellent value in terms of what you get vs what you pay. Without review of the upcoming chips and solid UK pricing its an impossible question to ask but I would be tempted if funds were slightly tight and I doubt you would be disappointed so long as you bear in mind all of the above :)

Back
Top Bottom