Road Cycling

Soldato
I still want one but a pretty loyal customer of the shop ordered one and was messed about a bit. It may have been partly his fault as he's a dinosaur.

Another guy ordered a etap axs disc equipped one as he wanted it for flanders(the Orca aero was weeks away). He tightened the stem without a bung in the fork resulting in a cracked steerer. They checked back and they hadn't fitted a sticker on top of the bars explaining the proper procedure. Apparently a few hundred people have done the same. They sent a used fork which he isn't happy about and having to wait ages for them to actually manufacture forks. He's a little peed off.

Still want one though :D

Soldato
I ordered mine in March - estimateld delivery early June, several delays later the dispatch was looking like 3rd week in July ! I am going on holiday the last week in July and am taking a / the bike. Tried numerous times on live chat (when its up but mostly manned by indifferent morons who give conflicting advice), raising a CS ticket, twitter, facebook, email and got so frustrtred in trying to get a straight answer of mainly just an answer I gave up.

It then took almost a week to get anyone to confirm my order had been cancelled and again the whole process was so indifferent - if they dont care that much about their customers and perception of them and their brand then im off somewhere else.

Soldato
by the way, im quite new to strava, where do you see VO2 max? power curve page or fitness/form page? Thanks.
Thanks for the links, some lunchtime reading there...

The VO2 max & power curve are summit features on the left side of an activity that someone with summit uploads, but I think non-summit members can view (just don't see anything for their own) - https://www.strava.com/activities/2407470198/zone-distribution

FgLds07.png

Is it updated? They had to switch off Google Maps as Google started charging a lot for their API and no "free" mode. (well there is but it gets blasted with development only watermarks..)
Ah, my Trend hasn't finished sync my activities. It did the first 100 a few weeks back and I assumed it would just carry on the rest while 'offline'. Seems not and needs user input to continue which I've now triggered... Only another ~2700 activites to go... :rolleyes:

It's updated and the map does have a 'Google Maps feature provided by 'Elevate' extension is no longer available. This service is now too expensive to be displayed at the moment. [dismiss this message]' disclaimer thingy at the top. Mine is now displaying the map and segments though, it wasn't a couple of days ago! FS!

All this talk of Canyon bikes, someone please buy me an Aeroad SL7.0 or 8.0 please. I'm not fussy which ones, either the blue fade or silver kthxbye.
They look awesome in red, but that colour option doesn't seem available outside of the SLX now. Think @SDK^ has one? The Blue fade is very catching, just a shame it's Movistar. Still awesome enough to have though. I'm not a fan of the plain looking silver, or the black.

And... buy your own! Or get sponsored, certainly a gentleman of your talents should have sponsors?! :D

for those using tubeless what do you carry in case of puncture ?
2 spare tubes. 1 co2. combo co2/pump. Park Tyre boot.

1300 miles ridden, three quarters of that is commuting with lots of rough roads and potholes. Zero punctures/signs of any sealant.

Tubeless worms, or just bung a tube in it if you can't seal it.
Worms really need to be on my shopping list.

if they dont care that much about their customers and perception of them and their brand then im off somewhere else.
How do you rate the Dynaplug? They seemed expensive and quite 'overkill' for road use when I last looked. Used many?

Thanks for the Canyon CS feedback. I'd hope just ordering frame/forks/bar/stem from them I wouldn't encounter many delays or waiting for build time problems. But very good to get an idea of what can happen... Sucks! :o

Last edited:
Soldato
They look awesome in red, but that colour option doesn't seem available outside of the SLX now. Think @SDK^ has one? The Blue fade is very catching, just a shame it's Movistar. Still awesome enough to have though. I'm not a fan of the plain looking silver, or the black.

And... buy your own! Or get sponsored, certainly a gentleman of your talents should have sponsors?! :D

Movistar will match my kit. Might change club though so silver is safe.

I'm too cheeky(and ****) to be sponsored :cool:

Soldato
How do you rate the Dynaplug? They seemed expensive and quite 'overkill' for road use when I last looked. Used many?

Thanks for the Canyon CS feedback. I'd hope just ordering frame/forks/bar/stem from them I wouldn't encounter many delays or waiting for build time problems. But very good to get an idea of what can happen... Sucks! :o

The Dynaplug has been awesome on the three occasions Ive needed to use it, yes its pricey (other cheaper options are available) but a cracking piece of kit (caveat here that has only been on my MTB Ive used it so far)

Canyon really dissapointed me, i was so looking forward to my new bike and it has left me quite jaded

Soldato
Opposite side of the coin, I ordered mine and it turned up within 10 days, would have to check exacts. Then when the handlebars snapped they had them replaced within 4 weeks, but this did take quite a bit of chasing. Great bikes once you get them.

Regarding test rides, I've never actually test ridden a bike properly of the 7 I've got new, I don't know what I would do with one if I did as you couldn't go out and hammer it specifically unless you're on a proper test day where the manufacturer is showing them off and end of the day bikes are sort of similarish unlike cars etc, you got 3 gear choices and then everything else you'd customise if you needed to anyway.

Soldato
You can get those little valve keys which undo valve extensions and valves (if they have flats on them). Take up no space, put it in your saddlebag, might help get it off.

Soldato
There's no need to have the valve on that tight. I just do them up finger tight and never had any problems.
Agreed. With my Tubeless experience v1 I actually had to have mine done up barely finger tight as any tighter and I was splitting the tape. I bought thin tape but they've held up and not punctured.

You can get those little valve keys which undo valve extensions and valves (if they have flats on them). Take up no space, put it in your saddlebag, might help get it off.
How? If the TL valve is tight its the valve nut which is on tight and not the core? Don't need to remove the core to get the valve out...

Unless we're thinking of a different tool?

Soldato
Guys, who has one of those 'minimal' type saddlebags? Mine flew off over a 'ramp' (road repairs/'traffic calming' measures being put in) last night and the clip (it's a clip onto saddle rails mount type) is now quite worn/suspect. It's around 5 years old anyways and has been a great little 'daily' bag.

Bag I'm using is quite small, but big enough for all my tools and a single tube. I don't need a bag big enough for a tube (as I've got a frame mounted storage I also have one in). So I'm just after a bag big enough for tools, nothing else. So smaller than 0.6L capacity required (maybe half of that), but needs to be easily/quickly removed for commuting duties.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-mini-saddlebag/
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-road-caddy/
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-roll-caddy/
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/scicon-elan-210-carbonium-saddle-bag/
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/scicon-elan-210-saddle-bag/
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-seat-roll-premio/
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/silca-grande-americano-seat-roll/

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys, who has one of those 'minimal' type saddlebags? Mine flew off over a 'ramp' (road repairs/'traffic calming' measures being put in) last night and the clip (it's a clip onto saddle rails mount type) is now quite worn/suspect. It's around 5 years old anyways and has been a great little 'daily' bag.

Bag I'm using is quite small, but big enough for all my tools and a single tube. I don't need a bag big enough for a tube (as I've got a frame mounted storage I also have one in). So I'm just after a bag big enough for tools, nothing else. So smaller than 0.6L capacity required (maybe half of that), but needs to be easily/quickly removed for commuting duties.

I use one of these. Could take out the tube and put your own tools in. Depends how many tools.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Co...with-Race-28-Inner-Tube-and-2-Tyre-Levers/5AT

Soldato
Depends how many tools.
Lets not go there, I've a reputation to uphold... :D :D :D

Looks a good bag but I don't like branded equipment if I'm not using their products... ;)

In other news - Keo cleats £11 on Sigma

Replaced the second of my Lifeline compatible ones last night, maybe 2/3 the price but half the life of the Keo branded. Oh well, was worth trying out!

Back
Top Bottom