• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Pretty sure they will get good frame rates at 4K. The Xbox X is already running games at native 4K with no major issues.

And when you look at the specs of the Pro and X now they are really dated CPU and GPU wise. It’s impressive the performance developers get out of them.

Soldato
Pretty sure they will get good frame rates at 4K. The Xbox X is already running games at native 4K with no major issues.

And when you look at the specs of the Pro and X now they are really dated CPU and GPU wise. It’s impressive the performance developers get out of them.

It's whether or not they really go after 4k60fps in every title though. They seem to like eye candy fluff at 30fps more than trying to achieve solid 60.

Soldato
Fully expect some games to hit 60fps, like twitch shooters and racing games etc. But as above others will want more graphical fidelity at a cost to fps.

Sony won't stop the devs doing this, they won't stipulate that games must run at a locked 60fps.

The only buzz offered so far is "8k" and speedy loading with SSD technology, if they were locking the devs into 60fps they would be hinting at the very least that was the case.

Soldato
I'd prefer it if both Microsoft and Sony just focussed on 1440p at 60fps rather than push the 4k train. It's just so demanding on systems and the comparison between native 4k and 1440p gaming isn't even that great, especially considering the system demand.

Caporegime
I'd prefer it if both Microsoft and Sony just focussed on 1440p at 60fps rather than push the 4k train. It's just so demanding on systems and the comparison between native 4k and 1440p gaming isn't even that great, especially considering the system demand.

It is on a big tele. I can tell when something isn't 4K now and it irks me. You could maybe get away with 3200x1800 but not 1440p. That's the right size for 27" monitors but not 50" teles. Maybe we're exceptional but all the console gamers in my immediate family (7 of us) use a minimum of 40".

Soldato

I bet 1440p60 is harder to achieve than 40k30 - 60fps requires more CPU processing power, rather than GPU power, hence why the X1X doesn't manage 1080p60 on many games :(

Soldato
Plenty of popular titles where that could happen easily: Rocket League, Smite, etc.

Even if it's input only, that's still good. Many TVs have significantly lower input lag at 120 hz & w/ VRR.

Associate
As I was saying, the next consoles will have no problem at all doing 4K 60 (if they so choose).

https://lordsofgaming.net/2019/06/first-playstation-5-benchmark-just-leaked/

This is great news. MS said that Scarlett would be 4x more powerful than previous Gen.

Based on the leak above - it would seem this is the case for PS5 as well (5k score vs 20k score) although Sony never officially stated PS5 would be 4x more powerful.

Looking great for consumers that an equal playing field will be there for gamers - just a choice of platform and games to make up your mind :p

Shawrey

Soldato
Can't wait :)
It will be interesting to see how ray tracing works outs but TBH I was sold at faster loading and more powerful machine with backwards compatibility from the start lol.

Also I wonder how backwards compatibility will work with multiplayer titles.

Caporegime
Dev kit tests obviously so the actual console will have bits and bobs disabled and lower clocks. Maybe in between Vega 56/64 is my guess and I'll be happy if it's higher.

Associate
Maybe some games will run @ 60fps 4k but not many. AAA titles will surely run @ 30fps with all the bells and whistles. History shows that past consoles run most games at 30fps so why would this gen be any different? If they implement VRR and let the system run full speed then great.

Associate
Majority of console gamers probably don’t even know what 30fps or 60fps even means. I’d expect games to be aiming for a locked 30fps at 4K with as many bells and whistles as possible. I don’t think it’ll be possible to get a locked 60fps on the spec that will be on there if Gfx settings are ramped up. If they were to have 1080p mode then that will be 60fps. Just my speculation but consoles sell enough doing what they’re doing so there’s no need from a business sense for them to change., Also they probably want consumers to really see a generational leap and obviously they can get a lot more shiny Gfx tech at 30fps.

Personally it doesn’t really bother me as 30fps games if locked and with good motion blur such as Uncharted or HZD feel good to me and I do enjoyed the wow factor of the highest Gfx settings. For racing games and FPS it needs to be 60fps though imo.

Back
Top Bottom