Open University degrees

Soldato
The only thing that's holding me up now, is that full timers can apply for loans but part timers can't. I just wish I could start it now and not wait. I'm quite excited (I know that's a bit sad). I've also promised myself a Lego falcon if I get a first (plus coffee table to mount it in). My boss is being quite supportive, mentioned that if I have to go to exams I won't have to use up holidays which is good. I reckon between getting into work early and my lunch hour I'll get through quite about of work. One thing I have noticed though with the course I'm enrolled in, is that it starts October the 1st and less than a month later there's a test. Then a test 2 weeks later (I'm a bit nervous about them as I've not done an exam since 2002 when I did my gcses.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

One thing I have noticed though with the course I'm enrolled in, is that it starts October the 1st and less than a month later there's a test. Then a test 2 weeks later (I'm a bit nervous about them as I've not done an exam since 2002 when I did my gcses.

They are just base lining tests so identify your current competency level (inc maths and English) to see if you need any additional support. Don't worry about them.

Soldato
Just a quick update, student loan went through fine and I've recieved my reading material. Weirdly they're sending me some more in a weeks time (bit sure if I'm meant to have read the 4 books they've sent by then or not).

Soldato
Just a quick update, student loan went through fine and I've recieved my reading material. Weirdly they're sending me some more in a weeks time (bit sure if I'm meant to have read the 4 books they've sent by then or not).

The books they send through is the course material you will use as part of the course. Sent well in advance to usually make sure you have them. Course material can be split in multiple parcels (hence why you may be getting another).

With that said, nothing stopping you from some preliminary reading.

Soldato
The books they send through is the course material you will use as part of the course. Sent well in advance to usually make sure you have them. Course material can be split in multiple parcels (hence why you may be getting another).

With that said, nothing stopping you from some preliminary reading.
Yea I'm just working my way through a maths book then I'm going to start on these. I'm still a bit apprehensive, but I think all the tests are done at home so quite convenient if I don't have to book time off work.

Soldato
I would start reading through the material now before the module website opens, that way you will be ahead and have banked some time in case anything comes up that may take time away from studying.
Best of luck with it. I'm onto my second module in a few days time (TM111).

Associate
I've just enrolled on a data science course.. Going to start with one module and see how that plans out with time and commitment.

Soldato
FWIW i've started core engineering A, i'm going to move onto 'B' and then physics. I'm thinking the same as you though with regards to time.

EDIT, the other think is that even though what i'm doing is a 2nd year course, it doesn't have any formal entry requirements (other than being at that level), so i can break myself in gently. My issue is that i work in the laser business as a technician, and i'm aiming to be an engineer (or higher:p) and i can't find any distance learning courses that involve optics/laser so this is the closest i can get (and i thought doing physics to start was a bit too intense:D).

Caporegime
i can't find any distance learning courses that involve optics/laser so this is the closest i can get (and i thought doing physics to start was a bit too intense:D).

You'll probably find some physics or maths module covering some of that. Why not check out say MIT open courseware etc.. too or indeed have a google for relevant modules with some university names (plenty of university lecturers post their lecture notes etc.. openly).

You're not going to cover everything you want/need to cover in your degree, some self study is needed, the important thing to do is just get the proper maths background as long as you get that covered then a lot of the rest is just applying it to a particular area and/or getting some domain specific knowledge... some of which you'll just have to pick up yourself or via future work.

Soldato
You'll probably find some physics or maths module covering some of that. Why not check out say MIT open courseware etc.. too or indeed have a google for relevant modules with some university names (plenty of university lecturers post their lecture notes etc.. openly).

You're not going to cover everything you want/need to cover in your degree, some self study is needed, the important thing to do is just get the proper maths background as long as you get that covered then a lot of the rest is just applying it to a particular area and/or getting some domain specific knowledge... some of which you'll just have to pick up yourself or via future work.
The physics part does cover it a bit, but my boss has said I can go and sit in on some courses at the local uni who we have a good relationship with. It won't count towards anything but will build up a bit of knowledge.

Soldato
Just thought I'd pop on here for a quick update. I'm enjoying it so far, it's not too challenging or time consuming (only doing 1 30 credit module ATM as wasn't sure what workload was like). However, I'm having issues with coming in at stage 2. I want to do a core engineering B course, but that requires a level 1 maths, which I can't do at I'm past that stage. I've emailed to say just let me try it anyway and will see what they say. It seems daft to me that I can do more engineering A and physics without any other maths stuff, but this 1 course apparently needs it. If u can't do it, I've got no other courses to do from ma%ch till September which is a bit of a pain, I may have to double up and do a 30 credits maths one. I had it all planned out, so I'm now a bit frustrated. I've emailed my tutor to see if he can pull any strings (my thinking is, he's seen my maths). Any other things I could try?

Caporegime
Any other things I could try?

Not quite sure what the issue is - if they let you come in to do a second year module right away have you been able to transfer some credits or something?

If not then how do you otherwise make up the credits to complete your degree if you don't take some lower modules and are just starting at second year?

Soldato
You need to speak to your tutor and to the open uni. Your tutor may know the level of maths needed and how you have displayed understanding of this, the open uni would make the decision. I would have thought your HNC would be sufficient to demonstrate a level 1 equivalent understanding of maths.

Soldato
You need to speak to your tutor and to the open uni. Your tutor may know the level of maths needed and how you have displayed understanding of this, the open uni would make the decision. I would have thought your HNC would be sufficient to demonstrate a level 1 equivalent understanding of maths.
So would i, i've emailed OU and my tutor, my tutor did say it was a higher level, but i'm not sure it would be that difficult (not trying to sound smug), but maths is normally ok once you get the hang of it. I've only been emailing, as i've not had chance to ring them.

Back
Top Bottom