New valve vr hmd

Soldato
I think the overwhelming consensus I've seen from devs and media is that it's a very good overall headset and the controllers are a step up...

I've just reserved one for myself after watching the H3VR dev giving his impressions, says availability end of September so I've got a few months to change my mind before money needs to be handed over.

Associate
I have just been thinking about the possibilities over say the Vive Pro. 70% or so extra pixels than say the origional Rift and Vive itself was always a big ask of GPU`s especially with the extra aliasing stuff pushing up typically people an extra 30-50% if you are using 1080ti, 2080ti territory GPU`s. This sub pixel arangement i think will mean we can back of the PPD settings ect to 100% and likely get a better image still. This will in turn allow the extra horsepower to push the FPS up to the next setting from 90 ?

Soldato
I'm likely going to pick this up just for that headphone tech. it sounds really intriguing. However I really feel like this headset NEEDS wireless as an add on at least. I don't see any point in light house pinpoint tracking when I'm still held back by a wire. It makes games which would utilise the pinpoint perfect tracking a bit redundant when we're still held back by a cable.

Also if this headset was OLED, I'd so already be all over it.

Oculus could catch Valve sleeping with an OLED headset. The Quest display is just too beautiful in regards to colour.

Soldato
MY problem with the Index is the price and the availability. If I reserve one now I might get it by the end of September, that's a long wait.

Soldato
MY problem with the Index is the price and the availability. If I reserve one now I might get it by the end of September, that's a long wait.
Haha yup!!

I had that urge of just clicking and buying but valve have sadly made me actually think and contemplate my purchase.
I bought my rift s on a whim. Saw it on amazon and just did a couple of clicks and was like f it .. it’s done now.

Soldato
Haha yup!!

I had that urge of just clicking and buying but valve have sadly made me actually think and contemplate my purchase.
I bought my rift s on a whim. Saw it on amazon and just did a couple of clicks and was like f it .. it’s done now.

You have the Rift S and the Quest?

Soldato
Nice one, so basically just a swap :)

Yup. Rainforest madness!

Its the reason why I still feel somewhat vindicated if I do buy an Index, because I haven't spent anymore money to upgrade to the Rift S.

And the Quest is almost a necessary life at this point.

Soldato
cant wait to see what people will do with tech like this in future VR games.

Most indie developers seem to accept that the work they doing with cool mechanics like this are just going to be used as vehicle in to transitioning to more mainstream product. I listen to a lot of podcasts, so I hear very descripted interactions with in game mechanics that are normally waxed lyrical in games like Assassin's Creed. From my time in VR though I have one thought only 'mouse click' having experienced a more personalized version which blows any of rock paper shotguns wonderous narratives in to dust.

Side note, the Index is close to delivery. They've asked for delivery confirmation by the 14th, so hopefully it'll be shipping shortly after and be with us by the 28th.

Soldato
The Index sounds good but I do worry that they may have priced themselves out of the market. Personally I've had preferred to see them use inside-out tracking rather than relying on base stations which add to the cost and complicate the setup.

Anyone considering the Rift S might have spent the extra to buy the Index if it was around the £600 mark but I don't see many being willing to spend nearly a grand for the full setup including the base stations. I realise Valve are aiming for the high end but I feel they may have gone too far.

Associate
Having been in VR since the DK2 I can confirm that many are willing to pay that extra money for the best VR experience.

I've lost track of how much I've plowed into this 'hobby', and I still have my eye on the Index mainly as I only really need the headset because I can reuse everything else from my Vive.

Associate
Agreed - I'm always after the best experience, not the cheapest. That's why many of us will spend thousands on high-spec rigs and GPUs. Almost half of existing PC VR users already have the lighthouses and compatible controllers, so it won't be the full £919 for most - you can just buy the HMD or even just the controllers on their own. The joys of a backward-compatible ecosystem!

Soldato
.... many are willing to pay that extra money for the best VR experience.

Absolutely. I'm not judging anyone for wanting to spend their money on VR tech. It's one of the most exciting technologies I've seen for as long as I can remember to the point where I also view it as a hobby! I've probably spent about the cost of the Index on various VR platforms (PlaystationVR, Lenovo WMR, Oculus Quest) these past 2 years!

I just felt that for anyone without a PCVR setup who was perhaps considering something like the Rift S if they'd priced it around the £600 mark a lot of people would have been willing to pay that bit extra for better optics in the headset and improved controllers. When it's over double the price it's a tough sell for anyone other than enthusiasts.

I'm still excited to see how it turns out though and it's nice to see another company in the VR sector!

Last edited:

bee

bee

Associate
my knuckles controllers are being delivered tomorrow! just pairing them with my lens modded vive, won't be getting the headset for now, might have to sneak off early from work when they arrive :p

Back
Top Bottom