**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S10 Family Thread ****

Associate
Just picked up a S10+, lovely phone. I moved up from an S8+ and I really like that the new form factor is more square (rather a stretched portrait screen). The fingerprint reader now being built in to the screen is great. I'm still not convinced that the battery life will be great.

Associate
Got a Speck Presidio Pro case last week. Fairly slim, unfussy design but well constructed and seems like it will provide solid protection, with a lip the whole way round the screen, or maximum raisivity as the Flossy dude would say.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
You know those times you wish you had the free case that came with your phone on?

_26A0551.jpg

_26A0552.jpg

Slipped out my hand as I was stepping out of the car today and landed on gravel! The glass is perfectly fine of course, just the midframe has two chunks out of it.

SIGH.

Associate
Currently got the S9 and I’m wondering if it’s worth upgrading to the S10 or my other option is the Note 9. Or do I just wait for the S11.
The S9 is great just the battery life isn’t brilliant. It’s lasting around 18 hours from 100% to 5% battery. 4 to 5 hours sot with Medium power Savin mode on.

Associate
Currently got the S9 and I’m wondering if it’s worth upgrading to the S10 or my other option is the Note 9. Or do I just wait for the S11.
The S9 is great just the battery life isn’t brilliant. It’s lasting around 18 hours from 100% to 5% battery. 4 to 5 hours sot with Medium power Savin mode on.

So I'll be honest I've not seen much better battery life going from my S8+ to the S10+ so not sure upgrading for the battery life is a great idea TBTH

Associate
I am currently on a s7 and thinking about upgrading via the samsung upgrade programme since I can still get decent vaalue for my s7.

Just wondering if someone can quickly tell me what the difference is between the S10e and S10?

Soldato
You know those times you wish you had the free case that came with your phone on?

Slipped out my hand as I was stepping out of the car today and landed on gravel! The glass is perfectly fine of course, just the midframe has two chunks out of it.

SIGH.

It's character :) and if you get a not clear case it'll cover that up. I'm slightly biased but the Samsung original soft touch cases are very nice :)

So I'll be honest I've not seen much better battery life going from my S8+ to the S10+ so not sure upgrading for the battery life is a great idea TBTH

Have we ever seen any noticeable increase in standby? Seems like a very poor reason to upgrade to me, I've always had the feeling that performance, screen resolution and the amount of time I spend using the phone has risen roughly in line with battery capacity/efficiency so they still always get me roughly a full day away from a charger with enough that I'm not worrying about being away from one.

But if it's that big a challenge a 10k mah battery, even a wireless one is buttons now?

Soldato
I am currently on a s7 and thinking about upgrading via the samsung upgrade programme since I can still get decent vaalue for my s7.

Just wondering if someone can quickly tell me what the difference is between the S10e and S10?
S10e is smaller (5.8in compared to 6.1in), lacks the 3x optical zoom on the rear (not a miss at all for me), has a FLAT screen :D, slightly smaller battery however it's powering a smaller and lower resolution display so much of a muchness in overall battery life. Screen is FHD and not QHD but at that size you'll never tell in the real world.
Aside from that they are the same phone, same internals and features.

V_R

V_R

Soldato

_26A0551.jpg

_26A0552.jpg

SIGH.
Should have used the bigger Dbrand that covers the sides. :p

Soldato
Go up big or go home, get the S10+ 5G ;)

10000%

My other half, she of tiny hands, was all "these big phones are stupid" then I got her a Note 9, now she's onto an S10+

The amount of time you actually use them one handed (generally) is minuscule.. for all the rest of the time you have a bigger screen, bigger battery, better specs.

Just do it, it's totally fine. Going back to a smaller phone for me is torture.

Associate
Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently make the status bar black on apps to effectively hide the camera, similar to the pixel 3 XL? I know there is an option to hide the front camera in full screen mode but that shifts all the icons down meaning you lose a good chunk of screen space.

Not the end of the world if you can't

Soldato
10000%

My other half, she of tiny hands, was all "these big phones are stupid" then I got her a Note 9, now she's onto an S10+

The amount of time you actually use them one handed (generally) is minuscule.. for all the rest of the time you have a bigger screen, bigger battery, better specs.

Just do it, it's totally fine. Going back to a smaller phone for me is torture.

For me, it's not so much the using it one handed, it's carrying a bigger phone in my pocket, particularly during the summer when I'm going to be wearing shorts some days, or when I'm at the gym. I got really sick of the general size of my OP5T, it would jab me in the hip when I sat down and I was always worried about it slipping out of my pocket when I sat down (due to the fact it was so large that it sat closer to the top of trouser/short pockets). Personally I think the optimal screen size for a phone is about 6" (particularly in an all-screen phone), which the S10e is just short of.

Also, I basically don't ever watch video on my phone, I've got my TV and PC for that, so a bigger screen would be mostly redundant for me. The S10e screen is plenty for my general phone usage of social media, emails, messaging, and internet browsing.

Soldato
Does anyone know if there is a way to permanently make the status bar black on apps to effectively hide the camera, similar to the pixel 3 XL? I know there is an option to hide the front camera in full screen mode but that shifts all the icons down meaning you lose a good chunk of screen space.

Not the end of the world if you can't
I've never noticed that before as I've never wanted to hide it but now I see it that is a bit of an oversight. You'd think they could implement the same as Google and just leave icons in the bar rather than making the entire space redundant.

Soldato
Following on from my moany thread about my corporate security, I'm now thinking my best course of action is to see if I can wangle a Samsung s10. I've heard on the grapevine with some extra approvals you can get it done :p I've never owned a Samsung before; I'm a real 'stock' Android fan (either Oneplus/Oxygen or Android One currently on my Xiaomi). Can you disable a lot of the Samsung guff they install? I'd want to continue using stock Android apps like Messages, Calendar etc.

Also, does anyone use a Samsung with dual SIM? Obviously I'd be looking to do that. Any downsides/issues?

Back
Top Bottom