Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Soldato
I have one from Lidl - had it a few years and it served it's purpose at the time- Making fences - They only use very thin nail/pins but good enough to hold wood together. - They are no good for building framework. - If you do get one you really need a air tank of at least 50ltrs - my 25ltr was filling every few nails.
One thing I have learnt over the last year is large air tanks (modified propane tanks) and big bore pipe - small pipe won't get the air where you want it quick enough.

Soldato
Long shot, but does anyone know about decent woodworking chisels? I was looking at getting some Narex cabinet makers chisels, but upon further research they don't look as good as I first thought. The ferules are fake brass :( and apparently split after a while according to an Amazon review.

So now I'm on the hunt again for an affordable chisel set ( 6mm-12mm-19mm-25mm)for general bench work i.e dovetails, mortice + tennons etc. I did see Ashley Isles chisels, but they seem to be always out of stock and after emailing their own store they said they had no idea when more would be in stock :confused:.

Their 6 chisel set is in stock but it's £150, which is more than I was hoping to spend (The Narex set is £38) and has chisel sizes i'd probably never use and strangely doesn't have the 1" 25mm chisel.

Last edited:
Associate
Got an Irwin Marples set that I have had no problems with. I'm sure the Narex would be fine too, got to take the amazon reviews with a pinch of salt. Bet the person who had problems with them breaking was hitting them with a hammer and not a mallet!

Dave

Soldato
I was just looking into Kirschen a few mins ago, they look pretty good, thanks.

Yeah, I did wonder about how much abuse he gave the chisel to break the ferrule, but I did also see some similar comments from a few forum posts I found while looking into them. It seems they're thin metal that is brass coated, rather than thick brass, which is what makers like Ashley Isle use I believe. I guess the pricing reflects that though, so you can't really complain too much. I wish I had a metal working lathe, then it would be a 2 minute job to knock up some new ones out of brass.

I think i'll give it a few weeks and see if the Ashley Isle chisels come back into stock as I do like the idea of supporting one of the last Sheffield tool makers.

Soldato
DeWalt 2nd fix nailer arrived yesterday, why did I ever manually nail in nails with a hammer before now!

Very impressed with the power from an electric tool.

How long before I end up with the framing nailer also :o Not got a use for that atm though!

Associate
Long shot, but does anyone know about decent woodworking chisels? I was looking at getting some Narex cabinet makers chisels, but upon further research they don't look as good as I first thought. The ferules are fake brass :( and apparently split after a while according to an Amazon review.

So now I'm on the hunt again for an affordable chisel set ( 6mm-12mm-19mm-25mm)for general bench work i.e dovetails, mortice + tennons etc. I did see Ashley Isles chisels, but they seem to be always out of stock and after emailing their own store they said they had no idea when more would be in stock :confused:.

Their 6 chisel set is in stock but it's £150, which is more than I was hoping to spend (The Narex set is £38) and has chisel sizes i'd probably never use and strangely doesn't have the 1" 25mm chisel.

Hi have a look at Bhaco there made of good steel ive there socket sets plus hand saws.Have Marples Chesils newer ones are total sh!te. See if can find older ones.

Have a look at this place do the Japanese chisels also https://www.thanettoolsupplies.co.uk/

Soldato
Hi have a look at Bhaco there made of good steel ive there socket sets plus hand saws.Have Marples Chesils newer ones are total sh!te. See if can find older ones.

Have a look at this place do the Japanese chisels also https://www.thanettoolsupplies.co.uk/

Thanks, I would go for Bacho if they did wooden handled chisels. I am not a fan of plastic handles for workshop work, but do use them for my joinery work as plastic doesn't mind getting wet. There are loads of older Marples chisels on ebay, but as usual everyone knows their worth and prices them accordingly :(.

I'm half tempted to try the Aldi chisels that Paul Sellers is always recommending. I have my doubts a pack of 4 made in China chisels for £8 will be any good though, having bought cheapo chisels before. They just never seem to have them in stock whenever I call in or check the site.

MRtwRYA.jpg.png

This is the pic I found that put me off the Narex chisels. Looks like they have used tinfoil for them ferrules...

Associate
Thanks, I would go for Bacho if they did wooden handled chisels. I am not a fan of plastic handles for workshop work, but do use them for my joinery work as plastic doesn't mind getting wet. There are loads of older Marples chisels on ebay, but as usual everyone knows their worth and prices them accordingly :(.

I'm half tempted to try the Aldi chisels that Paul Sellers is always recommending. I have my doubts a pack of 4 made in China chisels for £8 will be any good though, having bought cheapo chisels before. They just never seem to have them in stock whenever I call in or check the site.

MRtwRYA.jpg.png

This is the pic I found that put me off the Narex chisels. Looks like they have used tinfoil for them ferrules...

My friends got a lot of old tools he cleans them up sharpens them sold a lot off of late can ask to see what he has? i gave him a load of wooden handled carving chisels while back.
He has planes also hes setting up a shed as a workshop sometime! to make things old style mind by time he ever gets it set up will be very old style!
Made some nice bits though hes C&G Chippy

Associate
Long shot, but does anyone know about decent woodworking chisels?
I did see Ashley Isles chisels, but they seem to be always out of stock and after emailing their own store they said they had no idea when more would be in stock :confused:.

Ashley Iles manufacture excellent tools and are worth waiting for, I have owned a set of four of their firmer chisels for 12 years (shown no mercy) and a full set of paring chisels for 5 years. The steel is as close to cast steel as you will get. It takes a very sharp edge but is tough, it even feels nice on the stone, I use a norton oil stone then a strop. It is also easy to recommend a tool that is hand made in the UK priced so competitively! I own a 12mm Narex mortice chisel, Its OK. Though I would prefer a set of Ray Iles pig stickers :)

Beware of second hand chisels unless you can see them in person, I have quite a few I bought at least 10 years ago, it seems nowadays the market is over inflated and buoyed by shiny tat. It may have a makers mark (my favourite is Ward) but that doesn't account for years of abuse.

Ashley Iles are "old school" so it is best to speak to them directly on the phone

Back
Top Bottom