Money laundering . . .

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
. . . the post quoted “many tower blocks” empty in London, their underground car parks full of cars covered by dust sheets, where?
Not living in London I can't say. However, I gather from someone who lives in South London, this applies to Vauxhall and many buildings on the banks of the Thames?

Perhaps all the tower blocks near Obama's "off location" US Embassy (which is I believe located in Vauxhall) were bought up by Agent Orange?

Whatever . . . empty property in London is a scandal.

Caporegime
While there may be, almost certainly are, multi million pound properties 2, 3, or 4 storey high in Belgrave Square standing empty, there are no tower blocks there, the nearest tall buildings that I recall, will be the Park Tower Hotel in Knightsbridge, north end of Lowndes Square, and the Jumeirah Carlton Tower Hotel, Cadogan Place.
I’m not trying to be difficult, empty houses are bad too, but the post quoted “many tower blocks” empty in London, their underground car parks full of cars covered by dust sheets, where?

They're icebergs. Many are 6+ stories.

Soldato
I’m not trying to be difficult, empty houses are bad too, but the post quoted “many tower blocks” empty in London, their underground car parks full of cars covered by dust sheets, where?
I already gave you two examples of arguably the most iconic towers in central London.

Caporegime
For the prices of these luxury apartments, I don't think they're going to care much about paying <£3,000/yr of council tax! You do realise band H in Westminster is only £1500/yr? lol...

And the fact they'll probably claim the single person discount (if they can be bothered) is even more lol...

It all adds up. They will need heating to prevent damp and pipes from bursting. Standing charges.

Alarms and cctv to stop squatters.

Man of Honour
I already gave you two examples of arguably the most iconic towers in central London.

Yes, The Shard and Centre Point, a bad thing if an oligarch owns all or part of them, and is using them as a bank deposit, and the government should step in and do something about it, BUT they don’t qualify as uninhabited tower blocks to me, Trellick Tower, Kensal Town, at 31 storeys is the kind of block that I think of when I think of tower blocks.

They're icebergs. Many are 6+ stories.

Yes, I’m aware that there are sometimes two floors under the three or four that are seen above ground, but they’re still not tower blocks, are they?
I’d better drop out of this thread, in case people begin to see me as an oligarch apologist.

Caporegime
Yes, The Shard and Centre Point, a bad thing if an oligarch owns all or part of them, and is using them as a bank deposit, and the government should step in and do something about it, BUT they don’t qualify as uninhabited tower blocks to me, Trellick Tower, Kensal Town, at 31 storeys is the kind of block that I think of when I think of tower blocks.

Yes, I’m aware that there are sometimes two floors under the three or four that are seen above ground, but they’re still not tower blocks, are they?
I’d better drop out of this thread, in case people begin to see me as an oligarch apologist.

They're more than just 2 below.

Caporegime

Would be interesting to be an actual resident at one of those places... I guess you'd pretty much be able to take over a director position and do what you want at the AGMs. Want some new gym equipment? Fancy installing a small climbing wall etc.. Well you get to choose what they install. Need better films etc.. for the communal cinema... well you decide what the building pays for.

You'd also have all the concierge service etc.. paid for by everyone but only used by yourself and a few others - that would be weird, especially if there are very few flats actually lived in... some smartly dressed person is sat at a desk all day and just greet's you and maybe a handful of others - no excuses for any deliveries not arriving though!

Soldato
I do look at all the development along the route of the DLR and think who the hell is renting or buying here
The prices they're asking for those new builds is crazy. You'd be insane to buy a poxy 2 bed rabbit hutch there when you could spend the same in West London and get a lovely converted flat in a Victorian house with pubs and cafes round the corner etc.

Caporegime
Generally the UK has grossly too much power to seize assets, the proceeds of crime act blatantly usurps the presumption of innocence by allowing the seizure of property without proof of any criminal wrongdoing.

Soldato
Generally the UK has grossly too much power to seize assets, the proceeds of crime act blatantly usurps the presumption of innocence by allowing the seizure of property without proof of any criminal wrongdoing.

Are you sure you're correct? As far as I'm aware the POCA allows for restrictions on a suspect disposing of assets, with the most that can be done at that stage is appointing an independent manager to maintain asset values. Only once someone has been convicted (and therefore no longer innocent) can assets actually be seized.

But that's based on my very basic training I have done in the past!

Caporegime
Ha! First time i've heard that saying with regards to a house. Love it.

Some of them are utterly amazing. Last guys house I dealt with had 4 stories below. The bottom of which was his parking garage. There were about 3 million worth of cars that sat there unmoved for the 6 months I was on the project.
He was a reasonably minor member of the Saudi royal family and hadn't been to the UK in nearly 5 years.

Not suggesting any laundering was involved with him but it's just to illustrate what goes on there quite typically.

Back
Top Bottom