Pond pump/filter

Soldato
Hi

Have small pond, that has a pump and fountain at the bottom of the pond and a filter box next to the pond.

Is it possible to get something that doesn't need to be in the water (pump).

Have to clean the pump a lot, was hoping I could get a filter and pump all in one?

Associate
Why are you having to clean the pump a lot, is your pond full of debris?
You could always try putting a plastic mesh pot over the top of your pump (weighted down with a stone/brick) so it acts as a debris filter before the water gets to the pump? a lot easier to quickly pull the mesh pot out to clean than it is to clan the pump. https://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/a...gs8WYi5pvkO2mKlyeFEl1EjC_UpSEz-gaAhWEEALw_wcB

I currently have to pumps in my Koi pond and i've never needed to clean the pumps in roughly 3 years since they were put in.

Soldato
Another pond owner here. Can you give an idea of what happens? What is blocking?

For example my pump is 1.5m down but the waterflow and the full sun causes string algae to grow - that acts like a filter and slowly clogs up. The pump then needs cleaning.
My canister is fine for a two week cycle when I give it a “cleaning cycle” (switch output and rotate the handle) and a yearly open up completely.

Soldato
To OP’s point you can get an all in one pump filter but if the pump is blocking then you many find both filter and pump clogged unless we find out why.

Soldato
OP
Why are you having to clean the pump a lot, is your pond full of debris?
You could always try putting a plastic mesh pot over the top of your pump (weighted down with a stone/brick) so it acts as a debris filter before the water gets to the pump? a lot easier to quickly pull the mesh pot out to clean than it is to clan the pump. https://www.bradshawsdirect.co.uk/a...gs8WYi5pvkO2mKlyeFEl1EjC_UpSEz-gaAhWEEALw_wcB

I currently have to pumps in my Koi pond and i've never needed to clean the pumps in roughly 3 years since they were put in.

Another pond owner here. Can you give an idea of what happens? What is blocking?

For example my pump is 1.5m down but the waterflow and the full sun causes string algae to grow - that acts like a filter and slowly clogs up. The pump then needs cleaning.
My canister is fine for a two week cycle when I give it a “cleaning cycle” (switch output and rotate the handle) and a yearly open up completely.

Hi

The pump isn't blocking up as such, it's just when I have checked it, it's got brown sludge build up and covered in green algae?, since then I like to check often (once a month) and clean it just in case it does actually block up altogether. Perhaps I haven't got anything to worry about and this is normal.

My pond is only small, have gold fish which are very old and frogs, I have some plant life in the pond as well such as lilies and a grass that grows very tall which often needs to be controlled as it spreads quickly.

Perhaps I could do with a better pump, it was only a cheap one I believe but has lasted a long time.

Any other tips to keep the water clean that may prevent the sludge build up at bottom of pond?

Thanks very much

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Any photos of the pond size / filter? Are you having to clean the filter regularly because it's sludged up too? I've always read that box filters are pretty rubbish so it's probably the filter that's not up to the job.

How are you cleaning the filter? Something I never knew initially was you're not meant to just clean the filter with a hosepipe because that kills all the bacteria colonies growing in the filter, they're what break down the sludge - so a filter is not just a mechanical thing. Instead you're meant to get a bucket or pondwater and clean the individual bits in that, and do it quickly so as to not kill the bacteria for being out the water too long.

Associate
Sounds like its an issue with your filter not keeping up with demands. How often are you cleaning the filter out as you can always try upping the frequency of how often you clean the filter media out, as that should eventually start making a difference. Then once you get on top of that sludge build up should be fairly minimal.

I run two filters ( 1 box filter. 1 veggie/bog filter), on separate pumps, one with a built in UV clarifier and the other with a inline UV. They get cleaned out weekly. I also do a partial water change and vacuum on a monthly basis and my water clarity has been spot on for a few years now.

Soldato
Some pictures will help.

Mine is an 8000l/h pump and a 9000l/h bioforce revolution with veggie filter and it still gets pump gunked. Shade helps prevent the algae (plants that fix nitrogen help by removing the nitrogen that the algae is feeding off).

If you want to kill off the blanket weed then cloverleaf blanket answer works. It does seem to “knock back” the bio part of the filter but it would help. In your case I don’t think it would cause a problem.
Pond bomb or a sludge digester can also be used - they have enzymes that digest the gunk at the bottom of ponds. I’ll use a filter start once a year to top up the filter algae (just turn off your UV for a couple of days).
Then you can concentrate on the filter “gunk” rather than the algae + gunk.

Checking the levels of ammonia, nitrite (NO2) and nitrate (NO3) that from part of the nitrogen cycle may also be a good idea of the algae is growing fast.

My pond is “natural” with plants but also with koi they make lots of mess and poop (ie ammonia). Goldfish are less demanding so we should be able to get you sorted.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
I also do a partial water change and vacuum on a monthly basis and my water clarity has been spot on for a few years now.

Do you use a proper pond vac? I have a fair amount of silt sat at the bottom of my pond I'd like to clear out.

I'm thinking about just going at it (carefully) with my wet/dry George. How bad of an idea does this sound? :o

Associate
Do you use a proper pond vac? I have a fair amount of silt sat at the bottom of my pond I'd like to clear out.

I'm thinking about just going at it (carefully) with my wet/dry George. How bad of an idea does this sound? :o

No its not a proper pond vac, i just use the below and it works pretty well in my pond. It gets the bulk of the crap that sits at the bottom and also does an okay job at keeping the liner clean as it has stiff bristles on the underside, the downside is that it does stir-up a lot of the really fine particals and can take 12-24hrs before it settles. I will eventually get round to investing in a proper vac to make the task a lot easier though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Po...ocphy=9046147&hvtargid=pla-731318332556&psc=1

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Can’t get photos yet, but the filter box gets sludged up quite a bit, we hose the filter sponges down , maybe I need to get a better filter box.

If you can work out the volume of your pond in litres (width*height*depth*1000 - using metres) that should help you figure out your filter needs. Also see my note about not using a hose from earlier.

I have a multi-stage fibreglass filter, like the below (different manufacturer mind). They provide different chambers with different levels of filtration. Not cheap, but they get the job done. I do use a hosepipe on the filter brushes in the initial chamber, but the rest I just clean in pondwater to save the bacteria.

http://kockneykoi.co.uk/products/fibreglass-filters/selectorguide.php - click the name of the filter next to your relevant pond size.

No its not a proper pond vac, i just use the below and it works pretty well in my pond. It gets the bulk of the crap that sits at the bottom and also does an okay job at keeping the liner clean as it has stiff bristles on the underside, the downside is that it does stir-up a lot of the really fine particals and can take 12-24hrs before it settles. I will eventually get round to investing in a proper vac to make the task a lot easier though.

Ahh thanks. I might give the George a go over the weekend and report back. It has a similar bristle brush thing :).

Soldato
OP
If you can work out the volume of your pond in litres (width*height*depth*1000 - using metres) that should help you figure out your filter needs. Also see my note about not using a hose from earlier.

I have a multi-stage fibreglass filter, like the below (different manufacturer mind). They provide different chambers with different levels of filtration. Not cheap, but they get the job done. I do use a hosepipe on the filter brushes in the initial chamber, but the rest I just clean in pondwater to save the bacteria.

http://kockneykoi.co.uk/products/fibreglass-filters/selectorguide.php - click the name of the filter next to your relevant pond size.

Thank's for the information, will check all that.

Back
Top Bottom