Admiral reckon any non-factory part on my car is a modification

Soldato
And from my call I had with them, they confirmed the following would all have to be declared:
  • Windscreen wipers
  • Bulbs - i.e. your factory fitted bulb breaks and you replace it with one from Amazon
  • Floor mats
If I were to have windscreen wipers replaced with OEM Ford ones at a Ford garage, it would be okay, but doing them yourself with Bosch ones is a no no.

Obviously, this doesn't seem right to me, so I asked him to double confirm, and he came back and said if I don't declare them, my policy would be void. Yet, I didn't have to declare any audio equipment, as long as it's under 1250, or 15% value of the car (whichever is lower).

Apparently they're considered as a decorative modification :confused:

Soldato
ANYTHING your car did not come standard with (even optional extras are modifications to some companies) is classed as a modification.

However, I think some of it comes down to sensibility, consumables etc...

Soldato
As above, sounds like you might have been speaking to someone who's new to the role and they're going completely by the book/script.

I would be absolutely amazed if the insurance ombudsman sided with an insurance company because you failed to declare that you didn't have OEM wipers on.

Soldato
OP
As above, sounds like you might have been speaking to someone who's new to the role and they're going completely by the book/script.

I would be absolutely amazed if the insurance ombudsman sided with an insurance company because you failed to declare that you didn't have OEM wipers on.

I agree, but asked him to double check with his manager. Then again, he could have done the whole "let me put you on hold while you think I'm speaking to my manager" :p

Soldato
Was the main reason I stopped using Admiral many years ago, they tried to claim that options on my old Accord which were fitted at the factory all needed to be declared. Told them as the car was 2nd user I had no idea what was standard and what was an option and suggested they send somebody round to go over the car.

Soldato
You spoke to an ignorant customer service cretin, which is unfortunately the most common type employed in the insurance industry IME (contrasted by a few really helpful people).

Just imagine the chaos if every single policy holder called them after e.g. having a service (non OEM oil, filter and spark plugs), new tyres fitted, bulbs, rubber mats etc. I would make it a point to ring them and tell them every time you wash and wax your car or change the air freshener.

Soldato
Was the main reason I stopped using Admiral many years ago, they tried to claim that options on my old Accord which were fitted at the factory all needed to be declared. Told them as the car was 2nd user I had no idea what was standard and what was an option and suggested they send somebody round to go over the car.

That isn't as daft as you imply as options can add massively to the value of a car (quite possible to go well over £20Ks worth of options on quite a few makes) and increase both the replacement cost and its likely hood of being stolen. I don't think you would be too impressed if the insurance paid out on the base price of the car and not its actual value due to the options.

Soldato
I've heard before that Admiral are a PITA.

Floor mats and wipers...just lol

When I tried to declare an aftermarket filter to my current insurer (Greenlight) they literally told me they didn't care.

Man of Honour
I doubt the insurance ombudsman would side with them over a claim if we're talking about wipers. But I can see their point with .ore sig ificant options such as alloys, sports seats, etc.

However it's a massive red flag that Admiral will try to wriggle out of any future claims. I won't insure with them anymore.

Soldato
Yep, it's worth paying a bit extra to go with someone good. You just know Admiral will be a total nightmare to deal with if you need to make a big claim.

Soldato
That isn't as daft as you imply as options can add massively to the value of a car (quite possible to go well over £20Ks worth of options on quite a few makes) and increase both the replacement cost and its likely hood of being stolen. I don't think you would be too impressed if the insurance paid out on the base price of the car and not its actual value due to the options.

I can see your point, but at the end of the day most people buying a second hand car won't know what came as standard and what were optional extras. Maybe insurance companies and car manufacturers need to come up with an easier system of identifying cars that have had numerous optional extras added on, so that the new owner doesn't need to guess.

Soldato
I doubt the insurance ombudsman would side with them over a claim if we're talking about wipers. But I can see their point with .ore sig ificant options such as alloys, sports seats, etc.

However it's a massive red flag that Admiral will try to wriggle out of any future claims. I won't insure with them anymore.

Yep, it's worth paying a bit extra to go with someone good. You just know Admiral will be a total nightmare to deal with if you need to make a big claim.

For what it's worth, I didn't list all options and had no issues claiming from Admiral in a large payout... Infact they were excellent...

I can see your point, but at the end of the day most people buying a second hand car won't know what came as standard and what were optional extras. Maybe insurance companies and car manufacturers need to come up with an easier system of identifying cars that have had numerous optional extras added on, so that the new owner doesn't need to guess.

They say if you are unsure you should consult an expert such as a garage

Soldato
I've heard before that Admiral are a PITA.

Floor mats and wipers...just lol

When I tried to declare an aftermarket filter to my current insurer (Greenlight) they literally told me they didn't care.

I'm with ERS with all mods declared.

Their rules are that I have to tell them about all my mods, which are separated into 3 categories. Cosmetic, Performance & Safety.
Cosmetic mods don't affect the premium and as along as the performance mods, in total, don't increase factory power by more than 25% then no increase.
Safety mods can reduce my premium and currently the lowering springs & big brake kit are reducing my premium by 4%.

Man of Honour
For what it's worth, I didn't list all options and had no issues claiming from Admiral in a large payout... Infact they were excellent...
A different experience to mine. They tried to severely low ball me when a car was stolen. I had to threaten legal action in writing before they finally offered market value on a completely standard car.

I'm under no illusion than most insurance companies would try the same though.

Soldato
I'm with admiral.
I informed them that I had a stainless exhaust on the car, which was fitted when I bought it. They asked if it increases the performance. I said probably not...
I then mentioned my carbon bits. They noted that.

Was never asked about wipers, nor is it on their website on the mods section.

Soldato
They say if you are unsure you should consult an expert such as a garage

That's a bit ridiculous. Are they going to foot the bill for an inspection?

Putting aside modifications that improve performance, people aren't going to know if their car has had an upgraded light pack, or an upgraded interior with leather heated seats. Sometimes buying a premium brand those things mostly come as standard.

Soldato
Putting aside modifications that improve performance, people aren't going to know if their car has had an upgraded light pack, or an upgraded interior with leather heated seats. Sometimes buying a premium brand those things mostly come as standard.

Absolutely. Not only that, but how would an insurer or their appointed garage inspecting the car ever know either? The chances of non-OEM wipers or bulbs being picked up is virtually nil.

Back
Top Bottom