cPanel email/domain setup

Soldato
Ok 123-reg has its advantages.

I'm moving all my domains away form 123-reg and TSOhost and One.com to KRYSTAL, However I've not really managed to set up domains or anything via cpanel before

I was hoping I could just click my domain and add an email mailbox but alas it appears to not be that simple.
Dont suppose anyone has an add a domain and emails for dummies do they.

Most of my domains have transferred in ok but the nameservers still point to previous hosters

Soldato
Have you purchased a hosting package with TSO or Kyrstal to use the domains with, to get a mailbox up and running? You can't just transfer the domains to them and thats it, you'll also need to update your nameservers to TSO/krystal, and as far as I know, neither give free email access just for parked domains, especially cPanel access.

If you have got a hosting account with them and it's associated with one of your domains, and your domains name servers are pointing to theirs (which will include the MX records) then simply login to your cPanel, go to Email Accounts and crack on.

Nameservers dont update themselves just because you transferred the domain, you need to submit the change yourself which will propogate around the world within 24 hours (use WhatsmyDNS).

Give me a shout if you need further help, I have a few dedicated boxes running WHM/cPanel for a lot of clients.

Soldato
OP
Have you purchased a hosting package with TSO or Kyrstal to use the domains with, to get a mailbox up and running? You can't just transfer the domains to them and thats it, you'll also need to update your nameservers to TSO/krystal, and as far as I know, neither give free email access just for parked domains, especially cPanel access.

If you have got a hosting account with them and it's associated with one of your domains, and your domains name servers are pointing to theirs (which will include the MX records) then simply login to your cPanel, go to Email Accounts and crack on.

Nameservers dont update themselves just because you transferred the domain, you need to submit the change yourself which will propogate around the world within 24 hours (use WhatsmyDNS).

Give me a shout if you need further help, I have a few dedicated boxes running WHM/cPanel for a lot of clients.

Yeah I have a hosting package with Krystal.
I have noticed that the nameservers are still at 123-reg or TSOhost or ONe.com etc..I've a few domains.

Will I have any downtime when swapping nameservers (email wise) not bothered about sites at this time, but email loss will cause me issues.

I have a primary Domain which looks like a std one. www.32285y8329y5ukjb3buifhuibrr3jnfiu3b3kj kinda thing.

Soldato
To be honest, no, DNS propagation these days is damn quick - so on your new Krystal (damn good choice btw, they wipe the floor with TSO/Vida etc) cPanel, nip in to Email Accounts and re-create your accounts now, using the same password if you wish.

Then, switch over the name servers to use Krystal's nameservers

Code:
ns1.krystal.co.uk --- 77.72.0.11
ns2.krystal.co.uk --- 139.162.230.184

Then, when your ISP/local DNS updates, your devices will go to the new servers to retrieve email, and providing your email and authentication is setup ok it will work fine, and any mail servers out that sending mail to [email protected] will start going to Krystal's mail servers once they update their DNS too.

Use https://www.whatsmydns.net to keep a track of your DNS updates - once the majority of those nodes on the map are green to your new IP, you're good to go.

Remember, ask Krystal to enable the Lets Encrypt certificate on your new hosting too, that way your website and email can be https:// - SSL (TLS) etc - Free SSL certs so cant complain

Soldato
OP
To be honest, no, DNS propagation these days is damn quick - so on your new Krystal (damn good choice btw, they wipe the floor with TSO/Vida etc) cPanel, nip in to Email Accounts and re-create your accounts now, using the same password if you wish.

Then, switch over the name servers to use Krystal's nameservers

Code:
ns1.krystal.co.uk --- 77.72.0.11
ns2.krystal.co.uk --- 139.162.230.184

Then, when your ISP/local DNS updates, your devices will go to the new servers to retrieve email, and providing your email and authentication is setup ok it will work fine, and any mail servers out that sending mail to [email protected] will start going to Krystal's mail servers once they update their DNS too.

Use https://www.whatsmydns.net to keep a track of your DNS updates - once the majority of those nodes on the map are green to your new IP, you're good to go.

Remember, ask Krystal to enable the Lets Encrypt certificate on your new hosting too, that way your website and email can be https:// - SSL (TLS) etc - Free SSL certs so cant complain

Thanks Mate
Appreciate the help. I'm knackered now so its a job for tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Ok.. So I'm finally on with this and it doesn't seem as hard as I thought.

A quick question.

When I'm creating a new domain, Do I Share document route with my main domain? the one that looks like (/home/ebejbjaa/public_html) with “e07b67627b32bd8aa1c44fd55-15684.sites.k-hosting.co.uk”

Soldato
OP
Aarrghe email woes

So I've set up an email. Krystal have sent me an email telling me how to set it up. Outlook sends me test emails (i receive the test and the one form Krystal) but cannot send or receive any normal emails..
Getting "No such User here" errors

Any ideas what button I've not clicked

Edit: I can send emails to myself as in Matt@Mydomain to Matt@Mydomain

Edit 2
2 mins on live chat and the guy had it fixed with 3 clicks....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
My issue this time was I had a domain setup that was hosted elsewhere. So it was kinda in a loop. I needed to set it to a remote server and bingo.

I'm still worried about moving my main business domain over

Soldato
OP
Thread revival time

After having more issues with TSOhost this morning I'm migrating the rest of my domains over to KRYSTAL

I've used KARMA to migrate my emails. however am I now supposed to change something else. MX lookup still shows Vidahost.

I also now seem to have 2 inboxes But I'll delete one at some point.

Once I know the emails are sorted I can then move my domain over

Also too add. Does anyone know why outlook keeps asking for the password. Even though I've inputted it 20 damn times

Last edited:
Permabanned
Once I know the emails are sorted I can then move my domain over

You are supposed to move the domain over first really.

What I would have done is:
01) Backup current sites and databases.
02) Migrate the domain to the new servers.
03) Setup email addresses as required.
04) Import Emails to mailbox and test.
05) Move site over to new servers and test.

Usually this process is no longer than couple hours. (Depends on domain propagation and how many emails are in your mailbox). You will always find there might be a small bit of downtime sometimes with these types of operations but if you get it right then there won’t be any.

Use a site called MXToolbox to check your domain setup like A records, MX records etc

Soldato
OP
You are supposed to move the domain over first really.

What I would have done is:
01) Backup current sites and databases.
02) Migrate the domain to the new servers.
03) Setup email addresses as required.
04) Import Emails to mailbox and test.
05) Move site over to new servers and test.

Usually this process is no longer than couple hours. (Depends on domain propagation and how many emails are in your mailbox). You will always find there might be a small bit of downtime sometimes with these types of operations but if you get it right then there won’t be any.

Use a site called MXToolbox to check your domain setup like A records, MX records etc

Krystal said it didn't matter what i did 1st. But I think thats because its non destructive. Its not moved anything its just copied it all. Yay... just in case of a major cockup

So I'll have to do the "import" again just before I switch over.

I may wait until the weekend as I get 5-10 emails per hour during weekdays so dont want to miss any.

Soldato
OP
Ok well after a day of **** with TSO host I'm moving my stuff now. I've changed the IPS tag to KRYSTAL and they are expecting it.
How do I move my Emails away from TSOhost now

~cw

~cw

Associate
In case you didn't figure it out, as long as your TSO service is still active - just altering the TSO email account's server details to their generic server addresses would probably work.

Their IMAP and SMTP is mail3.gridhost.co.uk and you keep using your existing username.

You can also override specific domain DNS settings by using the hosts file on your PC to temporarily redirect a DNS request to a specific IP. Handy if you need temporary access to a server and you know its IP address but the domain is already pointing elsewhere (google it, some great guides)

The key thing to getting incoming email to hit your correct inbox is to make sure the domain name's MX records are correct in the DNS manager. Typically a domain has the following records to facilitate email:

An A record like "mail.yourdomain.com", which points to the IP address of the mail server (for many CPanel it's the same IP for email server as for web server)
An MX record, like "10:mail.yourdomain.com" (sometimes it's shown as "mail.yourdomain.com Priority: 10", which instructs any email servers sending email to any address @yourdomain.com to connect to the mail server at "mail.yourdomain.com"

If you're on CPanel hosting then it will handle all that for you, just make sure the domain's nameservers are correct and updated and things should propagate in due course. Krystal's nameservers are ns1.krystal.co.uk and ns2.krystal.co.uk, you must set those on the domain itself at the registrar. However if you've changed the IPS tag so that Krystal will also be the domain registrar, that will almost certainly happen when the domain transfer is complete, they will probably have a record set up ready for the incoming domain.

Depending on how much you want to dabble in hosting/DNS/domains you can spread things out quite a bit, no reliance on just the one provider.

I prefer to register domains separately from hosting partly because it's more flexible when moving (and pricing is often better). For UK domains I mostly use 20i.co.uk (set up by founders of 123-reg and heartinternet before they were sold on). All non-UK domains I register through Namesilo.com as their pricing is transparent, clear, non-gougy and they do free domain privacy.

Once you have domains registered elsewhere, you need to maintain your own DNS records but this is as easy as just copying what's in a CPanel admin page or a web host's DNS manager, get all the records aligned, then they just start working. You can even use third party DNS hosting if you fancy!

Also make sure that on the new Krystal provided hosting, you have the appropriate DKIM, DMARC and SPF records set up to ensure you have the best chance for email deliverability. Many large email operators now check for these records and score down mail which isn't DKIM signed (often visible as a padlock shown on received emails) or which is from a server without a DMARC or SPF record.

Back
Top Bottom