Admiral reckon any non-factory part on my car is a modification

Soldato
For what it's worth, I didn't list all options and had no issues claiming from Admiral in a large payout... Infact they were excellent...

I've had two claims with them as well, both times the car would have had bosch or piaa wipers, mats.
One they did pull up the fact i had a quick shift and bumper splitter. To which i said it was second hand and i had no idea. No issues.
Both times they were a pleasure to deal with.

Associate
It's one of the reasons I left Admiral too. Absolutely stupid.

On my old Volvo I swapped the wheels for 17" alloys, added a strut brace, changed the radio and didn't declare any of them but only because all of the parts were genuine Volvo parts and could have been specified for my model from the factory when new.

Even then it's potentially risky but unless anyone has the original spec sheet for the car when it was purchased, how the hell are they meant to know....

Soldato

On my old Volvo I swapped the wheels for 17" alloys, added a strut brace, changed the radio and didn't declare any of them but only because all of the parts were genuine Volvo parts and could have been specified for my model from the factory when new.

Even then it's potentially risky but unless anyone has the original spec sheet for the car when it was purchased, how the hell are they meant to know....

There not expected to know. Which is why every single insurance policy has the note along the lines of "as far as you know"

Associate
Is that means a Polestar remap for mine isn't considered a mod ? :D

Many insurance companies don't do much about the Polestar mod from what I've read.

It's complete crap though in terms of value for money, little gain for the cost. Far better off with an MTE map IMO, cheaper and more power.

My Uncle is a master tech at Volvo and even he doesn't recommend them to customers :D

That's a bit ridiculous. Are they going to foot the bill for an inspection?

Putting aside modifications that improve performance, people aren't going to know if their car has had an upgraded light pack, or an upgraded interior with leather heated seats. Sometimes buying a premium brand those things mostly come as standard.

Despite that its what it normally says whilst going through the quote stage. Part of the problem is also that they are all different on how they treat mods, so you need to be particularly careful when going through comparison sites.
I have never heard of any insurer being interested in wiper blades though :)

Caporegime
Many insurance companies don't do much about the Polestar mod from what I've read.

It's complete crap though in terms of value for money, little gain for the cost. Far better off with an MTE map IMO, cheaper and more power.

My Uncle is a master tech at Volvo and even he doesn't recommend them to customers :D

But MTE map I would need to declare though right?

Soldato
There not expected to know. Which is why every single insurance policy has the note along the lines of "as far as you know"

Surely that creates a big grey area for used cars. You could play dumb (or genuinely not notice) with any mods and they have no way to prove otherwise. "Yea I didn't know it was remapped", or "what's a coilover?".

Soldato

Manufacturers keep a record which can be accessed. It keeps a record of the car's spec as it rolled off the line plus any additional warranty/recall notice/work

I used to be able to access Ford's ETIS and look at everything my car came with, which was useful when one of the rear shocks went and I almost bought just 1 to replace it. Checked ETIS for the part number and found out it was fitted with self-levelling shocks on the rear, each costing 400 quid. I bought 2 standard ones for just over 100 quid and swapped out the self-levelling. Hasn't affected the car in the slightest.

Soldato
They're funny with their mods..

It's along the lines of please pay to add them but if you crash we won't be replacing them.. which is why I went with a different company on renewal

Associate
Better make sure you read the manual for your car, You will be kicking yourself if you filled up with normal supermarket fuel when you are supposed to be only using bp ultimate fuel and find your insurance is invalid :D.

I think someone might be a fedup working for them so is trying to get them to losse costomers. I've never had a issuse getting insurance with them, But they will charge you extra on nearly everything. Plus they are really crap for payouts i would avoid if possible.

Back
Top Bottom