Ron wheels

Associate
Hi guys,

Saw a picture in the aero thread someone with RON disc wheel. My wife wants to take the next step in triathlon, so we have been thinking of getting a rim-brake disc wheel (Shes using Campy Bullet 80mm at the moment). Without hijacking the aero thread, anyone has experience with them/feedback on their offerings? speed/ relaibility/ customer service(?)/comparison to more mainstream brands etc.

Cheers,

EDIT: turns out i have mistaken Aerocoach Aerox with Ron's Aeron, but question remains the same, any one have experienced with Ron's wheels?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi guys,

Saw a picture in the aero thread someone with RON disc wheel. My wife wants to take the next step in triathlon, so we have been thinking of getting a rim-brake disc wheel (Shes using Campy Bullet 80mm at the moment). Without hijacking the aero thread, anyone has experience with them/feedback on their offerings? speed/ relaibility/ customer service(?)/comparison to more mainstream brands etc.

Cheers,

EDIT: turns out i have mistaken Aerocoach Aerox with Ron's Aeron, but question remains the same, any one have experienced with Ron's wheels?

Hi you can only run Disc wheels on the rear in most Disciplines on the road Track ie Velodromes can use on both.RTTC ie Time trials banned them years back we did the safety work on them reason banned was side winds made them prone to taking you across the road! also if passed by a larger vehicle the change in air pressure can either make bike suddenly change direction or throw you on the Deck!
Three spokes are ok on the front.

The original Lotus/Mike Burrows Monocoque bike used a bar end gear lever as a brake lever with a tiny pair of custom made V brake arms that ran behind fork crown.
Was on fixed wheel though but had small chainset with small pitched chain.

Biggest issue with most bikes is the way the air leaves it same thing with M/C's also so a rear disc helps as that is turbulent air it's in that is fighting against other sources like chain/seat stays.But decent smooth clothing helps a lot

Soldato
Think he's talking about rear wheel only where the interference from wind etc is minimal with the lack of pivot and all your weight sat on top of it. Most tris seem to allow them and they're a good aero gain!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys. yes i ment rear disc. the front will still be Campy Bullet 80. i might give them a try just because they are relatively cheap compared ot the next cheapest option. (i don think i have the requried DIY skills to do a wheel cover myself)

Soldato
I think the new Ron wheels are tubeless compatible. Aerodynamically, there doesn't seem to be much between different discs (and often there is specific interaction between the frame and wheel it's hard to account for in testing) but being able to run tubeless tyres should give you a material watt saving.

Most people on TT Forum seem happy with the Rons and at €560 they're definitely good value.

Associate
OP
how lucky, they just started their sale. £445 now. just ordered one in matt black. will report back! whooooosh!

Back
Top Bottom