Recommend me some Martial Arts films

Man of Honour
The John Wick films are all pretty entertaining. If you hurry you can catch the third one at the cinema... although watching all 3 in succession would surely be very fatiguing! In fact, space them out :p

Soldato
Azumi. Not strictly martial arts, but amazing nevertheless. The fight scenes are extremely well choreographed.

Soldato
As above, love the John Wick films. (3rd one is best thing I've seen this year)

But The Raid and The Raid 2 are on another level for me, some amazing fight scenes.

First IP man is great also, Dojo scene is hard hitting.

Soldato
By no means an exhaustive list but these have been my favourite "recent" films -
  • Ong Bak - Tony Jaa attempts to return a Budda Head stolen from his village
  • Warrior King - Tony Jaa goes to Australia to get his elephant and her calf back from smugglers
  • Ip Man - Donnie Yen shows the early life of Bruce Lee's Chinese teacher during the Japanese invasion of the 1930's
  • Kung Fu Jungle - Donnie Yen tracks down a serial killer who uses multiple styles to kill experts in that style
  • The Raid - Iko Uwais is a policeman whose raid on a block of flats goes wrong and he fights to escape alive
As an aside, the only thing I find disappointing in most Martial Arts films is that you can see how much the "star" is having to pull their punches/kicks to avoid hurting the stuntmen or that "wirework" is being used to get the star to make impossible leaps/jumps etc. However I found that there's a few earlier films by Tony Jaa (Ong Bak, Warrior King) where, as the stuntmen wear a type of "body armour", it allows Jaa to use his full force and make real contact. The brutal difference between that type of film and the more "showy" wire-work types is very stark and I much prefer that extra "realism".

Soldato
Undefeatable. Its got one of the best fight scenes ever shot. How it didn't get an Oscar I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom