• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Any Intel fans that have switched back to AMD?

Soldato
i'm swapping my 7900x x299 setup for a 3900x and a asus crosshair viii formula, purley down to the fact the new chip looks to be toe for toe to a 9920x which is the next tier and gen up from my current chip, plus the amd chip has far higher clocks at stock speed and the boost is looking very good, even if its on one core the overclocking should be good across all cores, but reviews will show this in due time.

plus if the prices are to be belived the 3900x is a mega deal so thats a great plus to have :)

Permabanned
i'm swapping my 7900x x299 setup for a 3900x and a asus crosshair viii formula, purley down to the fact the new chip looks to be toe for toe to a 9920x which is the next tier and gen up from my current chip, plus the amd chip has far higher clocks at stock speed and the boost is looking very good, even if its on one core the overclocking should be good across all cores, but reviews will show this in due time.
plus if the prices are to be belived the 3900x is a mega deal so thats a great plus to have :)

but why? what do you do with your system? your CPU @ 4.6Ghz is not slow is it

Soldato
but why? what do you do with your system? your CPU @ 4.6Ghz is not slow is it

lol had my system for a while i thought about upgrading to the 9th gen skylake x due to my temps of my 7900x, this was sorted via delidding and its a quick system but man the power draw is discusting especially overclocked, at 4.7ghz my chip under full load is around 265w, paired with a custom 2080 ti with its power draw around 312w, for gaming and a bit of benchmarking its a bit high.

with me money isnt the issue and besides i've been hoping amd would relase something that would stomp all over intels overings and boy the 3900x at $499 does exactly that, knowing the new cpu is on 7nm it should pull less power under full load whilst maintaing really good performance for what i do

i'll be offering my current rig parts (cpu and mobo) to a freind of mine for a heavily disconted price once the new stuff has been tested and is avalible

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't care about brand to be honest and will pick whatever suits my needs. This has meant last few CPU's I have picked up have been Intel as at the time they were the best for my respective bulds (7980XE, 8700k and 4790k) and even then the new AMD stuff will not likely offer any advantage. Now if I was buying new however, would most definitely have AMD in the running, price to performance looks to be very impressive.

Will likely wait until next Gen Ryzen and see what is out along with intel or just wait until move to PCIe 5.0 which is 2021 afaik,

Associate
I've ditched my Sandybridge and Haswell CPUs and motherboards earlier this year. Currently making do with a Ryzen 2400G and Ryzen 2600. Eagerly anticipating some in-depth reviews and hopefully decent deals on the 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs.

Man of Honour
I am not a fan of any brand. I just buy the best I can afford that suits my own needs. Since Intel launched Core2Duo it's been Intel but that's not down to being a fan. Before that I was on AMD's athlon then Athlon64 because they were the best. Now that AMD is back to being very competitive again my next build will most likely be AMD but it probably won't be until they launch their next socket so that I get the full upgrade potential that AMD's newer socket brings (that's if they stick to a 4 year cycle like they have with AM4). I won't need a upgrade before then.

Caporegime
The last AMD CPU I had was back in 2008 before I purchased the Q6600 and was the dual core 4400+ (2.3 GHz, IIRC). It's likely I'll upgrade to an AMD focused system later this year but, of course, I will have to take a look at the benchmarks, performance per core, product lineup, and overall cost once the dust settles. I don't think I'll be going with anything less than 8 cores/16 threads and I may even opt for the 3900X or something similar, time will tell.

Last edited:
Soldato
I am very happy AMD is putting the pressure on Intel now, otherwise CPUs like the i9 would not exist and AMD isn't even close to applying the kind of pressure that they could if the hype is true. Whatever ground AMD make, Intel will be forced to release the stuff they've probably had for years to make twice as much, and that is a winner for everybody. The budget users get real CPUs for once, and the enthusiasts can launch NASA space missions from their toilet with what Intel has been hiding for probably years now.

Who actually wins in that scenario? Everybody.

Associate
The win-win is that AMD is delieratly undercutting Intel pricing model at their top tier. Intel will respond with a few new products but also maybe some price reductions, if they can get the stock that is...

Soldato
Why would people switch if they are a gamer,,, intel cpu's are built for the gamer in mind, AMD not so much. Stupid AMD fanboy thread.

Because the difference in gaming between Intel and AMD is tiny but the difference in system price is huge. It’s more a question of why wouldn’t you go AMD for gaming.

Back
Top Bottom