• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be ditching Ryzen 2 for Ryzen 3

Will you be ditching Ryzen 2 for Ryzen 3?

• 1. Yes but will be keeping my current motherboard

Votes: 67 17.8%
  • 2. No I’m sticking with Ryzen 2

Votes: 25 6.6%
  • 3. I’ll be upgrading both my Gen1/Gen 2 Ryzen chip and motherboard to Ryzen 3 and X570

Votes: 36 9.6%
  • 4. I’ll be upgrading my intel platform to Ryzen 3

Votes: 108 28.7%
  • 5. I'm waiting for real reviews before I decide?

Votes: 140 37.2%

• Total voters
Associate
Absolutely not. Bought a 2700 in April with an X470 mobo and they're running like a champ. Good performance, less noise and power what's not to like, right. Might slip a Zen 2 in the next couple of years when the prices come down but not in a rush TBH.

Associate
Bought a 2600 and MB in March with a view to upgrading but I just decided to pick up a used 2700x on here and Ill sell on the 2600 at a reasonable loss. That will see me through the next couple of years.

Associate
Ive decided to upgrade my 1600 with a 2700, Got one at a good price, I only play driving sims and web browse, I'm happy to stay a gen behind and i'll pick one of these up in a year or 2 when they come down in price, Think i'm going to buy myself a nice airy case now.

Associate
What was your resale price of the 2600?

I havent actually sold it yet. I stuck it on the members market for 105 including special delivery. Only 6 weeks old, boxed with cooler, but no interest.

They are going for more than that on the bay but i loathe the place so ill keep it just now, know a few people locally who are upgrading old machines in the near future so probably sell it on there for around the 100 mark hopefully. Not desperate to sell it this second so its no biggie.

Associate
Looks like i'll be replacing my 2700x with the 3900x. The extra cores as well as IPC should be a decent and expensive upgrade. Oh yeah and a x570 motherboard too to seemingly run the Ram at a good speed. Not sure if i'm going to replace my Corsair 3200 Ram yet though.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Just bought a 2600 and B450 board in December so I see no reason to upgrade it atm as its doing everything I need to (I dont even game that much).

Will most like be upgrading in 2-3 years time

Caporegime
pricing is not great at all. especially when the uk gouging is added to it. i think the bargin 2600 and 2700 chips will get snapped up now.

Soldato
Going to wait for reviews, especially on how they do on older X370 motherboards. I was tempted by the 16 core but at that price and considering my actual usage, it's completely overkill so the 12 core looks like the best choice. The 1600X is a nice chip but for gaming I didn't see much improvement from my old i7 SB.

Caporegime
AMD have played this well. basically selling cpus the same speed as two year old intel cpus for premium prices to people who wouldnt normally pay premium prices because they trapped on budget gear. amazing strategy. the real killer is people on older mobos. will buy expensive cpu to put in older mobo be hampered by performance of what the new cpus have actually gained. so basically you gunna upgrade to just get more cores at same speed your cpu you already got for premium price. absolute genius strategy. for new buyers not great unless its 12 cores or over and then its not even in amds normal price range.really odd.

9700k will be faster across gaming for about the same price as the new 8 core amd 16 thread. intel will just drop the price slightly and still be faster.

same old amd but got amd buyers clambering for their wallets.

Caporegime
[quoted post has since been removed ]

8700k same speed in games. will be 2 years in september when basically you will be buying these cpus. so gaming no benefit over that.

older mobos will hinder performance. they always have. why would they bring out a new platform ? its so you get better performance with the new cpus. so the performance you will probably lose from having a older mobo is the very same performance you want to gain for upgrading. so its a false upgrade. you basically will be paying premium prices for upgrading your cpu for extra cores. not ipc as you will lose performance. for being on a older motherboard. its quite clever actually because you trapped on a older platform with only one gate to go through. the amd upgrade gate.

the prices will be more than expected.1600 is one hundred pound. now to upgrade to 3700x that will be £319 + 20 percent atleast. so £334 without gouge factor applied.

so what you have done is basically brought a 9700k for £334. you wont get full performance out of the 3700x and thats without gouge factor added. 9700k is quicker in majority of games.

so you paying top money to be hindered on performance. performance will be good but the price is too high for what you getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
8700k same speed in games. will be 2 years in september when basically you will be buying these cpus. so gaming no benefit over that.

8700K was not in stock anywhere until November 2017, that's an entire 1/3 of a year. Last time I checked if I worked for 20 months I didn't get 24 months pay. Why will people be buying them in September?

older mobos will hinder performance. they always have. why would they bring out a new platform ? its so you get better performance with the new cpus. so the performance you will probably lose from having a older mobo is the very same performance you want to gain for upgrading. so its a false upgrade. you basically will be paying premium prices for upgrading your cpu for extra cores. not ipc as you will lose performance. for being on a older motherboard. its quite clever actually because you trapped on a older platform with only one gate to go through. the amd upgrade gate.

Assumption, zero facts. I 100% guarantee that there will be no performance benefit running at the advertised clock speeds on a new X570 board, vs an old X370 board, unless you are talking I/O speed for the PCI-E lanes. See I can do it too ;)

the prices will be more than expected.1600 is one hundred pound. now to upgrade to 3700x that will be £319 + 20 percent atleast. so £334 without gouge factor applied.
The £319 will be £319 or less.

so what you have done is basically brought a 9700k for £334. you wont get full performance out of the 3700x and thats without gouge factor added. 9700k is quicker in majority of games.
Again assumption based on your previous paragraph of rubbish.

so you paying top money to be hindered on performance. performance will be good but the price is too high for what you getting.
Top money? Check! Hindered on performance? Check! Too high for what you are getting? Check.

Ah.. another assumption straight out of where the sun don't shine.

Soldato
PCI e 4.0 ? :p

BOOM! Nail on the head, PCI-E 4.0.

Zen/Zen+/Zen2 are all SoC designs and the chipset and motherboard are literally a place to insert the CPU, deliver the regulated power it requires, and supply the I/O interfaces. None of which effect the performance of the inserted CPU assuming as previously mentioned that the power delivery method is adequate for the specified CPU.

You can buy Zen/Zen+ based solutions that don't have a chipset attached to the carrier PCB at all, I know I've used a few of them. I wonder how they worked at all. ;)

Back
Top Bottom