Insurance Declaring points not showing on license?

Soldato
Insurance companies ask for convictions for 5 years.

Driving license only showing 3 points from 2018

I'm pretty sure i had a SP30 (3 points) early 2016. Do i have to still declare this even though doesn't show up on license check on Gov website, i'm not even sure exact date as cant see it.

Soldato
If your insurance company asks about any convictions in the last five years it makes no difference whether it's still on your licence. It's annoying but lying to them will get you into trouble.

Associate
conference calls with the DVLA are usually how they clarify points I believe.
its the same where some insurance companies ask you for claims in the last 3 years or 5 years. comes down to them what they rate upon.

You will always get two sides of the argument in here. some will tell you not to declare, others will tell you to declare. Only you know what you will do however personally I would declare them. If they are over 3 years old I wouldn't expect there to be a mass change in quotes/costs

Soldato
They just ask for an access code to view the licence details online now. If the points aren't there, they aren't there.

Man of Honour
If it's not showing up then there are no points. That is the only place to see them.
They aren't asking you to declare the points though, they're asking you to declare the offence.
Insurance companies talk to each other, they could quite easily see that you declared to your last insurer the offence with a date within the last 5 years even though the points have been removed.

Soldato
They aren't asking you to declare the points though, they're asking you to declare the offence.
Insurance companies talk to each other, they could quite easily see that you declared to your last insurer the offence with a date within the last 5 years even though the points have been removed.

I got 3 points back in 2013. After 3 years I stopped declaring them and no one has ever questioned it, even after making a claim for a new windscreen (where they double checked my licence etc before granting it).

Associate
just gives them the option to pro rata settlements if a claim comes in. Maybe you were lucky with your windscreen claim (new agent registering the claim etc)

To the OP, if you are asking should it be declared then the answer is yes. What you or other people declare to the insurer is down to personal choice :)

Man of Honour
At the end of the day we're probably talking at most £50 extra on a quote with it declared and not have to worry about being caught out, it's a no brainer.

Soldato
If your insurance company asks about any convictions in the last five years it makes no difference whether it's still on your licence. It's annoying but lying to them will get you into trouble.

This really, if there was ever a glitch on the system and it got corrected, i'm sure they'd be looking at voiding your insurance.

The time any mis-declaration will matter is if you ever end up with a significant claim. The one time you will really want your insurance.
Minor things they are unlikely to care, although obvious "errors" may be detected.

It basically boils down to whether they are convinced you materially lied on application. If they are, then they may void your insurance. Or they may pro rata it.
Your only option then is an appeal to the ombudsman who will look at the same data and decide if the insurance co are being fair or not.

Its really not worth ever misdeclaring. There are enough players in the UK market to make it highly unlikely that someone will not have you as a target customer.

The DVLA time limit for points and spent convictions is irrelevant in regards what an insurance company decides it wants to know in regards deciding what amount it would require you to pay in order to cover you.
The policies are written in good faith, they expect you and its implied you will, act in good faith by answering truthfully the questions they ask.
If they can prove you acted in bad faith then its likely the ombudsman may support them in voiding. Under these circumstances they will still deal with 3rd party, but they will likely come after you through the courts to put them back into the position they would have been had you not lied.

Soldato
just had my renewal through today, I checked on the dvla website and only showing 3 points from 2017 on mine but I also had 3 in 2016 which have now gone but had to declare those on renewal,, daft thing is I don't know the date of the conviction so going with a new insurer I wouldn't have known exactly when they were...

Soldato
I would declare it. Especially with insurance companies sharing information, the date of conviction and the fact you had points is going to be stored somewhere. It may not be showing on the DVLA license check site now, but it will surely have been logged for insurance purposes. I just wouldn't chance it, it's not worth the risk.

Soldato
I've got one coming :o and I've found exactly the same running some quotes just to see how much pain was coming and they really don't care about speeding
that's probably an indication you're with the wrong insurer ? and that the 'base' rate is already beeing hiked up for your demographic/car/age, 'expected' level of points ...
or if your no claims bonus were small, that charges, the premium so they don't care about a few points ?
it's like the other thread, where people are saying 25% +power mods doesan't change doesn't impact the premium.

Soldato
Insurance companies ask for convictions for 5 years.

Driving license only showing 3 points from 2018

I'm pretty sure i had a SP30 (3 points) early 2016. Do i have to still declare this even though doesn't show up on license check on Gov website, i'm not even sure exact date as cant see it.

They're not asking whether or not they show up, they're asking if you had a conviction within the last 5 years. And you have, so declare it. May as well just lie about everything else on the application then, inflate your no claims and pretend you live in a nicer area.

Back
Top Bottom