Who here owns a Fiesta ST?

Associate
Has anyone ran one of these as a family daily; what are running costs like? Is it practical for a young family?

I've got a 5 door st-line 140ps and always fancied an ST but the Mrs is saying a 3 door is impossible as we have a 2 year old and potentially a baby in the near future.

Soldato
Is it your only car? If so it's a bit of a pain in the arse (imo) and I wouldn't go spending more money on one to then have to make do.

We have a 5 door non ST plus two young kids and whilst you can fit a full pram in the boot (sans shelf) and two seats in the back (so long as nobody needs front legroom) I'd be mightily annoyed if I changed car and spent decent money for one only to have to continually compromise.

Nipping out with the full squad in the Focus estate is just a non issue, the fiesta needs a bit of thinking if you're going to have bags etc. I know you already have a fiesta so will know what does / does not fit but it seems a silly change tbh

Soldato
Mk7 ST owners what sort of mpg are you getting from driving sensibly on part city part dually/motorway run?

I've had my ST since August 2017 and have done 17,475 miles as of last fill up. Average MPG (calculated from fill up, not the onboard which tends to overestimate) is 39.6 over that time, using it for my commute to work, and everything else.

I drive a mix of fairly sedate in the commute (i.e. traffic...) and more spirited at other times.

Last edited:
Associate
Is it your only car? If so it's a bit of a pain in the arse (imo) and I wouldn't go spending more money on one to then have to make do.

We have a 5 door non ST plus two young kids and whilst you can fit a full pram in the boot (sans shelf) and two seats in the back (so long as nobody needs front legroom) I'd be mightily annoyed if I changed car and spent decent money for one only to have to continually compromise.

Nipping out with the full squad in the Focus estate is just a non issue, the fiesta needs a bit of thinking if you're going to have bags etc. I know you already have a fiesta so will know what does / does not fit but it seems a silly change tbh
She's getting a CHR thing as the family car, the fiesta currently does this job.

Once she has the new car the fiesta will be used as a daily commuter and one day a week for kids.

Real mpg isn't that different to what im getting now of very low 40s.

Biggest issue is that it's the itch that needs scratching. It's a definite want and not need.

Soldato
Mk7 ST owners what sort of mpg are you getting from driving sensibly on part city part dually/motorway run?

I've had my ST since April 2015 and have done 35333 miles tracking the mpg since the beginning at 41.9mpg (http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/fiesta/2015/zico/355158 - check that it's set to UK units as sometimes the link defaults to US).

My commute is ~19 miles each way with one route being a mix of 30/40/50/National speed limits on single c/way A roads between two towns. The other route is part dual c/way then a twisting A road at 40/50mph.

Soldato
Some decent figures for a small hot hatch, i'd like to get one in the future, and i'm quite confident it'll be a 5dr since discovering they did it shortly as a 5dr.

Think if I did I would like to replace the tiny sat nav screen with an android based screen, seen a few from a quick google.

Associate
I've done the man maths. Roughly the same price on petrol but cheaper on insurance as its not modified.

Going to leave work early and test drive a 2014 ST3 (62k) one that's close by.

Anything to watch out for as a potential buyer?

Back
Top Bottom