Wife crashed car just before part exchange...

Associate
Have you ever wondered what happens if on the day you're picking up your car, you crash the one that you're using in part exchange? Read on....

Sat at work looking forward to the late Friday afternoon pick up of my new car when I get a call from my wife - she's crashed the car we were going to part exchange. Not written off, but back bumper is wrecked and the car she hit is not driveable. Great.

What happens now you ask? Well, given it was just before picking up the new one I've already paid the deposit, signed all the forms and the PCP agreement has transferred from my old car. All done on line the day before.

Cue many phone calls with the dealer and insurance company - essentially, there is no option other than put the pick up on hold, get the insurance to fix the current car and then complete the swap once its fixed. Both cars are in my name , and I think for the next two weeks essentially I have two PCP agreements.

Not sure how that will turn out in monthly payments - I guess the worst is I'll have one month paying both.

Ho hum.

PS in case you were wondering what car, I'm swapping my Octavia for a Kodiaq - 7 seats and the ability to tow. Dull, but needs must and if I want fun then I get the Caterham out of the garage for a blast!

Associate
OP
Why on earth have you signed the paperwork before getting the car? You sign paperwork, shake hands, get keys, drive home...
Didn't seem like a risk doing it the day before (clearly it was!) and work logistics meant I wouldn't have much time in the dealer to complete everything. I was trying to save time!

Soldato
Perhaps doing an advanced driver course that works on awareness could help or build up confidence if its nervousness in your car.

Soldato
We totted it up - this is the 6th time she's banged something in my car. Usually its something static like a concrete post....
:D I have a running joke with my missus when I'm driving; any time we have a close call because of some inept or careless driving we keep a tally of whether it's a man or woman. So far it is 34-0. The 0 is men. ;) The ironic thing is the best driver I know is a woman!

Soldato
:D I have a running joke with my missus when I'm driving; any time we have a close call because of some inept or careless driving we keep a tally of whether it's a man or woman. So far it is 34-0. The 0 is men. ;) The ironic thing is the best driver I know is a woman!
Holy crap 34 near misses, this might not be the other driver's faults ;)

gEd

gEd

Associate
Holy crap 34 near misses, this might not be the other driver's faults ;)

I confess I was just having the same thought myself. I guess it depends on how Martin defines a "close call" but I would interpret that as "we were close to having an accident".
I've been driving for 32 years and have had 2 proper accidents (1 the other drivers fault, the other 50/50). I don't recall when I last had a "close call".

Soldato
Think of the damage she'll be able to do now with a 7-seat SUV. :D

Exactly this.

A larger car that's harder to place should be fun for her. The undoubtedly diamond cut alloys will be ruined within the first few weeks.

Unlucky on the hassle caused before picking up the new car. Perhaps consider doing all the driving in the new steed and just get her some old cheap shed to 'dodgem' around in.

Back
Top Bottom