MX5 Owners in here....bring your curling tongs

Soldato
Thanks Marv, will check that out. Service manuals/wiring diagrams etc are always useful to have in the bag!

Seriously loving the car though. The roof is down every time I'm out in it, I'm taking huge detours to get back home etc, it handles so well :D Although I don't think I've ever owned a car that gets this much attention, not that I want the attention. I'd rather just enjoy the car for what is it but you no doubt get the jealous or envious people who regard the driver as a bit of a poser.

I've also never never owned a car that gets damaged as much as this one either. I've owned it for what, 4 days and so far I've found foot prints on the boot and have just come out of the shops to find this delight on the door...

310519_mx5_door.jpg

Pathetic little ********. That looks a bit more than your typical 'accidental' door ding. Someone's really taken their frustration out on it!

Man of Honour
I gave up trying to either make or keep mine looking nice. Within a couple of months there were two separate scratches on the rear bumper and the paint on the front bumper was cracked with some nudging it parking

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I think it's just some cars are more lucky than others.
I owned my previous MX5 for just 2 months. During that time I was lightly hit on the rear (oh err missus) twice, both times whilst stationary in traffic on the A3. Then a little old lady tried reversing THROUGH the car and wrote it off. At the time, it was parked outside of our house.

My present MX5, 15 months in, 10k miles and it's had no issues.

Soldato
Finally got a remap at Skuzzle Motorsport. Nick knows the MX5 backwards and half of the stuff he talked about was beyond me, but from what I could gather this is what he did:

Up on the dyno he did the first run and we got 133hp. I expected this to be higher because after I fitted the 4-1 decat manifold the car was noticeably faster, however Nick advised that would've been due to the faster throttle response. He then picked his best map with the same ecu, loaded that in and on the next run we had 144hp, an instant gain of 11hp.

Then he got to work fine tuning. He started with the fuelling, pointing out dips in the run and then making adjustments. Then he moved onto the cams and tuned those (I think he freed up 1.5 cam degrees from stock, I didn't really understand). Then he did some sort of knock adjustment, and then fine tuned again back the way he came, adjusting the cams again and finally the fuelling again.

Once all that was done he set up the map switching and programmed in 4 different maps based on the one he'd built:

1. Tuned map based on V Power fuel

2. Tuned map with race rom features:

Flat foot shifting
Throttle blip down shifting
Launch control (He enabled it because I paid for the race rom but told me not to use it).

3. Standard unleaded fuel map

4. Valet mode

After 49 dyno runs in total he finished on 150hp, so a respectable 17hp gain, but combined with all the tweaking it's really woken up the engine. All the flat spots have been ironed out and she's just so eager now :)

Man of Honour
Fast road alignment done today. Also oil change as I gave up 3 hrs in trying to get the damn filter off. Pretty much ready for the owners club sprint at Curborough in few weeks. Anyone else going?

Image1.jpg

Was a bit out in different areas. Not had a chance to try it yet but will one evening ;)

Associate
Well i have a pile of mods waiting to go onto the ND in the next couple of weeks (when i can be bothered)
In addition to whats already on it, that is full exhaust (bye bye second cat) out to 4 tips and a remap up to about 175 or 180ish and 7500rpm i have a set of eibach pro kit springs for the mk4, 20mm spacers (each wheel) and a boot edge spoiler.

Will prob do a full alignment afterwards as well.
Should handle really well, it does already but could be better on these sport bilsteins. Its not slow either, 175+ hp and not much over 1000kilos with really short gearing makes it go well.. about 6 seconds to 60.

Man of Honour
The MX5 OC sprint day at Curborough was a good laugh again last weekend.

Tarted up the engine bay. Sanded some of the other bits in there which you can't see, to get rid of the surface rust and painted grey again. Mostly the bar that goes across the front at the top, that the radiator and front lights attach to.

image1.jpg
image2.jpg

Man of Honour
@Frozennova Question for you, do you know if you can convert a MK1 Cam Sensor setup to a MK2 sensor setup?

You can, depending on whether you're using an ME221 or an MS3 you need to either remove a couple of pull up resistors or jumpers to convert from the Hall effect NA CAS to NB VR sensors. You'll need to check specifics as well as wiring.

You'll then need a suitable trigger wheel, bracket and sensor. FlyinMiata do a 36-2 wheel compatible with all long nose crank engines, use an NB sensor and bracket.

Cam sensor is a little more complex as the pickup is on the Inlet cam gear. At a minimum you'll need an NB inlet cam gear, sensor and rocker cover. I don't know if the gears are interchangeable.

I have a spare complete NB head and rocker cover that came off my original engine

Man of Honour
Cheers bud, ill be using ME221. I over looked the Cam Sensor in my purchase of the car, removal of engine and test fit :/

Any particular reason? You can do full sequential on a the NA CAS it just requires rewiring the injectors on 1.6s

Have you had much interest in the car @Frozennova? I saw it on eBay a while ago and am suprised it hasn't sold.

Nothing at all, one offer for a swap. Didn't even ask what for.

I'm biased but it's currently advertised at £3750, at that price I think it's a bargain

Back
Top Bottom