• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato
The only thing I can think of is that that test was their to display the clear performance difference between pcie4 and 3. However I am also a bit confused because GPUs don't max out pcie3, let alone 4...So whilst it is impressive and perhaps a glimpse of what they could do, it seems pointless.

Unless I am missing something entirely? :) - I don't know enough about it really.
I'm glad you understood what I meant, there should literally be no difference in 'score' on a benchmark for this test.... Right?

Associate
Vega is an overclockers dream, stock 56 with just memory at 950 and undervolted gave me 10-15% performance boost in games over the stock voltage/800 memory/1450~ throttled clocks i.e. rage 2 1440p went from 65-70 to 80ish

Whack a 64 bios, get the core and memory to 1650/1100+ and thats an easy 20-25%+ over stock.

Granted it does take more effort than Nvidias 50-100mhz core oc since they already boost to near max out of the box.

Soldato
HAHAHAHA :D

Nvidia has the shortest headroom of them all since Pascal, where barely can OC them for 70Mhz while all Pascal & Turing start throttling from 32C. (many current Nvidia cards cannot even push more than 60Mhz OC)
Making completely useless any attempt for watercooling to gain better clocks. At least with AMD, especially the Vega 64, going under water or with good cooler (Nitro) and downvolting, gives you plenty of headroom for overclocking of around 20% until you hit 80C. And thats 300Mhz, 5 times more OC than the Nvidia cards allow which doesn't fluctuate until you hit 80C, not 32C

FYI even the RX580 allows for almost 300Mhz overlock (20%), the only card that doesn't OC that well by only 100Mhz is the 590.
Compare this to ~3% can do (if that given the heavy throttling) from Pascal & Turing.

How AMD "has little headroom" for overlocking at 20% when Nvidia has 3%?

Turing throttles from 50c

No idea where your 32c comes from - ass??

So keeping the card under water results in maximum clocks.

The low end turings seems to be a little limited in overclocking

But my 2080ti core speed has gone from boosting to 1850mhz to boosting to 2115mhz - can actually get it to 2150mhz for benchmarks. The memory can be taken from 7000mhz all the way to 8500mhz if you got lucky, average is about 7800mhz

I guess I got super lucky because according to your post I should only get 30mhz overclock and throttling at idle...

I’d love to see your evidence for your outrageous claims which not a single reputable review site has shown, please enlighten us oh wise one

Permabanned

But my 2080ti core speed has gone from boosting to 1850mhz to boosting to 2115mhz - can actually get it to 2150mhz for benchmarks. The memory can be taken from 7000mhz all the way to 8500mhz if you got lucky, average is about 7800mhz

I guess I got super lucky because according to your post I should only get 30mhz overclock and throttling at idle...

I’d love to see your evidence for your outrageous claims which not a single reputable review site has shown, please enlighten us oh wise one
FOR A CARD THAT COST THE PRICE OF A LIVER I WOULD HOPE SO ... lets see what next yr brings rtx at software level and better ... you know it's going to happen .. NVidia will leave all its fanbois and go over to ai and cloud

Soldato

Both Turing and Pascal start reducing clocks the moment 32C is passed.
Since you have a 2080Ti try it :)

Soldato
Please provide a link to this

It was shown on this forum by a member. It might have been Panos himself as i am sure he had a 1080 or 1080ti but can't remember. Clocks were better below 32oc. It's not really a hard concept to believe in really.

Read that on another forum they were trying to get around the bios dropping clocks slightly above 42. It's probably just a table built into the gpu for a slight decrease in voltage at different temperatures or something a long the lines. They were only seeing something like a 12mhz drop if i remember correctly but it was still a drop. Nothing you would notice at all but it could gain you a few points extra in Benchmarks.

Last edited:
Soldato
It was shown on this forum by a member. It might have been Panos himself as i am sure he had a 1080 or 1080ti but can't remember. Sustained clocks were better below 32oc. It's not really a hard concept to believe in really.

I had both actually, watercooled also. :)

Please provide a link to this

Is not that big secret. I had as @TheRealDeal both 1080 & 1080Ti.
Push your card to sub 32C and see how it reduces the clocks by 12Mhz at 10C intervals after that until it's Boost 3.0 heavy throttling starts. (On Pascal that was 70C).
And I had fine tuned my cards using manually the Boost 3.0 curve.

FYI during the 2018 snowstorm (February 23rd), went into my freezing (literally) home. I need to find my observation post about that as the card was operating at 3C giving me some very high clocks, which maintained until 32C (was looking if throttles at 22C also). Maybe have a look on the Pascal discussion.

Caporegime
Vega is an overclockers dream, stock 56 with just memory at 950 and undervolted gave me 10-15% performance boost in games over the stock voltage/800 memory/1450~ throttled clocks i.e. rage 2 1440p went from 65-70 to 80ish

Whack a 64 bios, get the core and memory to 1650/1100+ and thats an easy 20-25%+ over stock.

Granted it does take more effort than Nvidias 50-100mhz core oc since they already boost to near max out of the box.

Having to tweak the card to perform isn't being an overclockers dream.

Vega 64 runs worse at stock than one running lower clock's and voltage.
That's a poor release rather than a tweakers favourite

Soldato
Vega will start its clock drop off at around 30c.
It was shown on this forum by a member. It might have been Panos himself as i am sure he had a 1080 or 1080ti but can't remember. Sustained clocks were better below 32oc. It's not really a hard concept to believe in really.

Exactly, + Vega behaves the same it will reduce clocks linear to the temperature.
It's not a deal breaker just you will lose 4-20mhz from 36c to 70c,

Soldato
Well I can’t get my card to stay at 32c
I had both actually, watercooled also. :)

Is not that big secret. I had as @TheRealDeal both 1080 & 1080Ti.
Push your card to sub 32C and see how it reduces the clocks by 12Mhz at 10C intervals after that until it's Boost 3.0 heavy throttling starts. (On Pascal that was 70C).
And I had fine tuned my cards using manually the Boost 3.0 curve.

FYI during the 2018 snowstorm (February 23rd), went into my freezing (literally) home. I need to find my observation post about that as the card was operating at 3C giving me some very high clocks, which maintained until 32C (was looking if throttles at 22C also). Maybe have a look on the Pascal discussion.

Turing uses GPU boost 4 and not 3..

I don’t have anyway to keep the card that low under boost - it hits 40c within a second or two. From 40c to 50c there is zero change to clock speeds, at 50c it drops 15mhz and then drops another 15mhz every 3 or 4c thereafter

Soldato
Well I can’t get my card to stay at 32c

Turing uses GPU boost 4 and not 3..

I don’t have anyway to keep the card that low under boost - it hits 40c within a second or two. From 40c to 50c there is zero change to clock speeds, at 50c it drops 15mhz and then drops another 15mhz every 3 or 4c thereafter

https://img.purch.com/geforce-rtx-2...pbmFsLzAyLUNsb2NrLVJhdGUtVG9ydHVyZS1USC5wbmc=

https://img.purch.com/geforce-rtx-2...pbmFsLzAxLUNsb2NrLVJhdGUtR2FtaW5nLVRILnBuZw==

Very easy too see in this graph that Turing behaves pretty similar. It happens very fast on air but you can see in the graphs that the clocks are dropping all the way between 40 and 50.

Last edited:
Soldato
people here looking forward to Navi?
If I hadn't bought a Radeon 7, yes i would be pretty excited to have upgraded from my vega 64 to something 7nm and cheaper. I think personally people are a bit fed up with AMD gpu's just being a let down, as I am also. But also now Nvidia stick their green eye into the 2060,2070,2080 "super" it kind of takes any thunder Navi had going for it.

Back
Top Bottom