Bowel cancer screening test

Soldato
Ain't nobody going to fund that.

I was diagnosed with UC 7 years ago but all except my first flexi-sig have showed very little inflammation. I still have decently strong symptoms from time to time though. The 3 colonoscopies I've had since 2012 may have all been flukes and just been done at a time when I'm been in remission, but it's a bit of a mystery. But I quite like the fact that if I want a colonoscopy I basically just have to ask. So although I'm technically at higher risk of Bowel Cancer, if I do getit it'll get snuffed out pretty quick. I'm under 30 though so probably shouldn't worry about such things.

Might work out cheaper than colonic resections and chemotherapy. I’m sure someone is doing a fancy health economic analysis on it. NHS funded or not, the evidence would suggest that it’s a good idea.

Sorry about your UC, IBD is a particularly unpleasant ailment to suffer with.

Soldato
My father passed away from bowel cancer aged 52.

I would urge anyone offered the opportunity for screening/testing to partake, regardless of how embarrassing or invasive it may be it pales in comparison to the untreated fate.

Soldato
OP
I did one last year when I was 60.
Poo on some toilet paper, get your lolly stick and spread a bit on the card, six times in all.
They are supposed to be coming out with an easier method.

Ah, I turned 60 last week. It's all downhill now. I take it you mean spread 6 times on a card, as opposed to doing 6 x number 2s?

That’s put me right off me after dinner magnum:(

:D

Soldato
I had my screening a couple of weeks ago. As said the enema is a little tricky and slightly messy.

I was lucky in the sense that upon arrival I was ushered straight through after filling in some forms.

The actual procedure was a little uncomfortable but didn’t last long.

Soldato
Prep will be the day before, 2 drinks a few hours apart, camera insertion will involve you being drugged a bit so you won't want to go to work afterwards. Drugs make you drowsy and compliant so the consultant and nurse can direct the camera.
My last one was a few years ago now and I saw the staples used to rejoin my intestine after a section was removed.
Andi.
I didn't get drugged, just a finger with some lube then in with the camera, I have lost three family members to bowel cancer so felt a bit anxious but thankfully all clear, so grateful to get the test on the nhs

Soldato
I did one last year when I was 60.
Poo on some toilet paper, get your lolly stick and spread a bit on the card, six times in all.
They are supposed to be coming out with an easier method.

Actually the Morrisons readymade curry container sits neatly just above the water level in our WC, I have found. No hands. I usually keep a dozen of these to batch make my own chilli or curry for the freezer. After this use though I put it in the recycling (after washing). :D I have done this test twice now.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Went to the Dr`s a few weeks back from a stomach issue, as picked up running again to go alongside the swimming which i have been doing for years, its cleared up tbh, but got a call this morning that i am required for a colonoscopy I am only 48 :(

Soldato
OP
Sorry to hear that, SPG. :( Did you have the colonoscopy yet and what was the outcome?

Well I delivered my poop through a post office postbox today. The first two samples seeped small blot marks through the flaps but nothing messy. Probably normal and expected. I found it easy to do. An old plastic bowl, lined it with kitchen roll and held it in position under me, while over the toilet bowl. No mess :D Just have to wait for the results now.

20190628-131802.jpg
p

SPG

SPG

Soldato
3 weeks time.... Got s pack through the post to drink the night before......

A evening on the throne i think :)

Tea Drinker
Don
Went to the Dr`s a few weeks back from a stomach issue, as picked up running again to go alongside the swimming which i have been doing for years, its cleared up tbh, but got a call this morning that i am required for a colonoscopy I am only 48 :(

I've been having colonoscopies and flexible sigmoidoscopies since I was 23. You're better off knowing early.

They should tell you then and there, plus you'll be facing the screen. Anything not pink and fleshy they'll biopsy. The operator will more than likely give you a nod and a wink if he thinks everything is okay. They'll have seen it all. Imagine his job sticking cameras up there all day.

Soldato
Had quite a few Sigmoids and full cameras over the years with my UC. Tbh they sound a lot worse than they are. The worst part by far is the drink they send to clear you out.

I had my large bowl removed a few months back so at least giving a sample will be easy...lol....

Soldato
The wife has just posted her poo through a letterbox. - Hope it's ok -Has been so far.

I had my yearly blood tests a week ago - got a letter from Doc to ring up and get another one done - seems they want to monitor my kidneys - Probably to see if the brandy level has dropped. :rolleyes:

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Well that was a interesting experience.... (especially with jetlag)

Decided to go without any sedation, wise choice tbh, once you get passed the one way valve that is. I was rather tense and the first attempt was aborted well for a couple minutes till everything relaxed again then off it went up and in, round varius corners.

Good news is nothing found apart from the removal of a tiny polyp.

Its mainly uncomfortable and really nothing to worry about the staff were fantastic, The Dr was great stopping everytime to freeze the picture and explain everything as i was rather inquisitive about the entire thing.

If you get called up do not worry so much about it.

P.s

The laxative the day before needs a new recipes, its not horrible but neither that tasty.

Soldato
Had my second blood test last Tuesday - Got a message today that the Doc will be ringing me tomorrow to talk about what they have found wrong with my Kidneys. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom