Dual exhaust not connected to back box

Soldato
Back in the old days men had real exhausts and no fake intakes.

Courtesy of an almost identical thread running on Pistonheads, here's a picture of a Lamborghini Miura:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCz0EhMWIAEskg5.jpg

Miuras were produced about 50 years ago and I doubt anyone considers them an embarrassment. It's not a trend of automotive design I particularly like either, but let's not pretend its entirely new :p

Soldato
Necessary on the Miura due to how the bodywork hinges though. Not necessary when the bumper doesn't move.

So its excusable when theres a practical or necessary engineering reason? That's fair enough. But in that case...

It's a very common thing to do these days and there are a lot of reasons for it. It's partly to do with avoiding transmitting noise and vibration into the body (and a way of avoiding heat and dirt-related issues, in some cases) but, more critically, it's to do with insurance claims.

Exhaust systems are complex and costly affairs these days (catalytic converters, valving, DPFs, GPFs, etc.) so OEMs set them up like this; if you have a small rear-end shunt, it doesn't write off what is a very expensive exhaust system.

Plus, as is predominantly the case these days, people just want the look. They don't care about anything else.

The Miura has disconnected tips to allow for the bodywork design. Some modern cars have disconnected tips to save the exhaust system in the event of a shunt. These both sound like fairly practical reasons to me; why should only the Lambo get a free pass?

Soldato
Courtesy of an almost identical thread running on Pistonheads, here's a picture of a Lamborghini Miura:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCz0EhMWIAEskg5.jpg

Miuras were produced about 50 years ago and I doubt anyone considers them an embarrassment. It's not a trend of automotive design I particularly like either, but let's not pretend its entirely new :p

They put fancy tips on it but hid them, then similar shaped fake fancy tips O_o

Are fake exhausts and vents going to be a trend on EVs I wonder. Because if they do, I'm just going to go full ridiculous too and do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOspDFhTxsQ

Last edited:
Associate
TBH I don't really see the problem. It's mostly a cosmetic thing, which happens all over the car. We don't complain about fake spoilers/diffusers/vents/grills/splitters and so on so how's an exhaust tip any different?

Soldato
Yes we do.

Things like the mechanical spoilers on Audis are just as bad. They went to all the trouble of making it and it does nothing.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's normal for so called "premium" cars to bodge stuff now apparently...

When sitting behind them with headlights on it's very obvious. Also they end up with one dirty exit and the others still clean which is another dead giveaway.

I'm so glad I wasn't imagining this. I've seen even high-end(ish) Audis with what is clearly one dummy pipe just so the owner can claim to have twin exhausts. Everyone knows that it's size that matters, not number...

Man of Honour
The other week I was very pleased to see that BMW are not partaking in this nonsense. The enormously oversized exhaust on the 520d M Sport is at least real.

Then I saw the new 8 series with the most obviously fake exhaust tips ever with pathetic pea shooter behind :(

Soldato
I'm so glad I wasn't imagining this. I've seen even high-end(ish) Audis with what is clearly one dummy pipe just so the owner can claim to have twin exhausts. Everyone knows that it's size that matters, not number...

To be fair, it could just be down to design aesthetics, not necessarily bragging rights.
If there is only a single exhaust on one side of the car, which has been taken into account when styling the rear bumper, I would imagine adding a dummy tip to the other was a decision made by the designer to keep the car symmetrical.
I have twin "genuine" exhaust tips on my car - I'm aware there is no real mechanical need for them on a 2.0 litre 4-cylinder engine, but I like them because I think it would look out of place with only one, not because I think more tips = more man points.

You'd hope the obvious solution would be just to hide the exhaust tip entirely, thus not upsetting the symmetry in the first place...but as I said in post #30, we're an odd species who think exhaust pipes should be on show :p

Soldato
The other week I was very pleased to see that BMW are not partaking in this nonsense. The enormously oversized exhaust on the 520d M Sport is at least real.

Then I saw the new 8 series with the most obviously fake exhaust tips ever with pathetic pea shooter behind :(

Unfortunately, if there's any problem with over sizing on new BMWs, I think it will be at the front rather than the rear; the new grille seems to just about work for the new 8, but I saw a picture of the new 1 series earlier, and it looks a bit ridiculous :(

Back
Top Bottom