*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
Eddie Hearn will no doubt enforce the rematch clause in the contract, for later this year in the UK. Tbh Ruiz was solid but is there to be outboxed due to his lack of height /reach against these modern day heavyweights. Fury would make an easy nights work of Ruiz.

I can't remember what round it was but did anyone hear Joshua say to his trainer, 'why do I feel like this?' He was not with it at all, he's carrying way too much muscle, it causes him to gas, he can't move around the ring freely. It was like a malfunctioning robot out there tonight.

Wholeheartedly agree. I've thought this for a while tbh, the chiseled muscular looks is nice aesthetically but he looks so restricted and is gassed after a few flurries. Hes also technically an average boxer who has gotten by on pure power and early knockouts. Against good technical boxers he has and will continue to be shown up imo. I miss the days of Lewis, Tyson, klitschko etc. The heavyweight division is a bit of a joke now, its overly hyped but not a patch on the 90s and early 2000s

Soldato
The guy who got tagged twice by Wilder? Because he got cocky/lazy? The guy who can’t punch except himself, hasn’t got a chin and runs away from opponents. In terms of that boxing style ?

As I said he’s got decent footwork and that’s about it so if that qualifies as the best out there then we really are in trouble.

Let’s not deny reality here.

Fury came back from the brink of self destruction to practically beat Wilder - because it was that close, and force a draw, he did completely outbox Wilder.

Yes he got caught twice, but in terms of pure boxing, he did outclass Wilder - and I say that as an absolute hater of the whole fury family, but I cannot deny reality.

(I never in my life thought I’d ever end up defending fury from criticism :D )

Soldato
Just watched the fight. Ruiz is probably carrying less extra weight than AJ!

AJ never recovered from the 3rd round knockdown...he was clinging on, would never have made it without the bell.

The body shot he took in the 6th totally knocked the fight out of him...he was done.

Ruiz showed his experience, his punches were well timed and accurate...hard as too, just soaked up all the punches, the knockdown was mostly down to balance rather than being rocked.

Seeing two fighters duking it out and being respectful before and after the fight makes boxing far more watchable....Wilder can do one as far as I'm concerned.

Would love to see Ruiz v Fury....but worried it would be spoiled by dodgy scoring.

Soldato
Let’s not deny reality here.

Fury came back from the brink of self destruction to practically beat Wilder - because it was that close, and force a draw, he did completely outbox Wilder.

Yes he got caught twice, but in terms of pure boxing, he did outclass Wilder - and I say that as an absolute hater of the whole fury family, but I cannot deny reality.

(I never in my life thought I’d ever end up defending fury from criticism :D )

Yep I hate fury as a person but the guy is a technically good boxer. It's the same argument levied at Mayweather too for all his ducking and diving and quick feet.

Soldato
Maybe I’m misunderstanding boxing? Different styles are fine for me 2 opposite ends of the spectrum :

Mayweather - danced around, moving shoulder, head and then hits with some good counter punches and never really got hit. Agreed in the latter stages the punches got less and less.

Wilder - looks for that big punch with little finesse but backs himself even if it is a little misplaced. Enzo mac is another example.

Fury - dances around with good footwork. Throws out arm jabs with no power and gets hit (sometimes by himself) and falls over by a low power punching cruiserweight. Generally wins on points with little excitement. If he came back from self destruction or not is irrelevant to what we are discussing surely?

Soldato
I woke up quite surprised this morning, blown away by this result.

Not seen all the fight, but from some of the clips you can see that Ruiz comes inside too quickly for AJ to deal with it, and gets caught to often. AJ needs to, keep him at arms reach and punish Ruiz with jabs.

It's looks like a Rocky III moment tbh, can he come back again?

Soldato
Maybe I’m misunderstanding boxing? Different styles are fine for me 2 opposite ends of the spectrum :

Mayweather - danced around, moving shoulder, head and then hits with some good counter punches and never really got hit. Agreed in the latter stages the punches got less and less.

Wilder - looks for that big punch with little finesse but backs himself even if it is a little misplaced. Enzo mac is another example.

Fury - dances around with good footwork. Throws out arm jabs with no power and gets hit (sometimes by himself) and falls over by a low power punching cruiserweight. Generally wins on points with little excitement. If he came back from self destruction or not is irrelevant to what we are discussing surely?

Fury has great head and shoulder movement so either you're intentionally ignoring it or haven't watched him properly. Every boxer has their strengths and weaknesses, just because hes not exciting and doesnt throw power punches like AJ and wilder doesnt negate his other qualities which are just as important in boxing as AJ has just found out to his detriment. Like I said I'm no fury fan but to claim hes not a good boxer or up there with the other fighters is disingenuous. That being said, as I said in my earlier post the heavyweight division is a bit of a joke compared to 15 to 20 years ago so him being up there isn't to state that hes some amazing fighter.

Soldato
Yep I hate fury as a person but the guy is a technically good boxer. It's the same argument levied at Mayweather too for all his ducking and diving and quick feet.

Mayweather was just on another planet in my opinion, I remember reading about people who'd sparred with him and who also fought him, saying how their best shots would just slide off him, he also fought literally everybody there was to fight so his skill as a boxer is unquestionable. 50-0 and he looks like a model - barely a scratch on him.

I just watched the highlights of the AJ - Ruiz fight, I think AJ didn't really know or prepare for what he was in for. I don't think AJ gave Ruiz any respect for the damage someone like that can do - big, heavy strong, like a brick wall and Mexican (hard as nails :D ) I think AJ felt he was just going to default the win. After AJ got knocked down the first time - it's almost as though he evaporated as a boxer, at that point he could have been beaten by anybody.

I suppose that's the difference between someone like AJ or Mayweather, in terms of mentality. Mayweather never underestimated anybody as far as I can remember, he was clever and cunning - and that was as important as his physical boxing skill, because he never allowed himself to get caught out in the way AJ just did.

Soldato
To clear things up I’ve watched Fury since his Hennessy ch 5 days. As I said his footwork is great, shoulder and head movement certainly the former is more for show then effectiveness compared to Floyd. It’s not that fury doesn’t throw punches like wilder etc. It’s the fact he doesn’t throw any meaningful punches and has no intention of ending a fight which is the reason why he leaves himself open to decisions like the wilder one. Let’s not forget this is a guy who hit himself in a ring!

Also the original claim was a great boxer which he isn’t. It’s easy to forget his first 2 comeback fights and the fights before klitch fight. Madison square garden arena against a cruiser weight for example. Have a watch back of that fight and still say he’s a great fighter.

@SS-89 just seen your earlier post comparing mayweather and fury :p take the Ricky Hatton finish by him could you honestly see fury doing that :p
:p:p

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Nice to see big muscle man knocked down by Mr belly lol.

Good for the Mexican, he deserves it.

AJ needs to concentrate more on boxing skills and why was he so gassed out (what ppl r saying) despite looking so fit?

Permabanned
I think we need to face reality and put AJ in the same category as Frank Bruno from a boxing perspective. People talking about Mayweather in comparison to AJ lol.

Permabanned
Why are there so many titles/divisions/belts in the same weight?

Yeah, it's all down to money as said. Several different boxing organisations and they all want a slice via sanctioning fees. It's gotten so bad that a few organisations have several different versions (super, regular, interim, international...) for their belts in each division. And you may think that the "interim" belt is only for when the champ is injured or something, but most organisations allow it to float about while the champ is active! Just so they can squeeze even more money from boxers via sanctioning fees. Boxing is corrupt as hell.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we need to face reality and put AJ in the same category as Frank Bruno from a boxing perspective. People talking about Mayweather in comparison to AJ lol.

We were discussing Fury and Mayweather :o I’m still really impressed by Ruiz hand speed once he got going.

What’s the chances of AJ camp laying the blame on Rob McCracken door Kahn style? Think it would be a huge mistake personally.

Someone earlier mentioned this, I didn’t hear it at the time. That’s pretty worrying in itself.

Wilder would have sparked AJ.

I think AJ gassed so much as he couldn't take the usual undetected cocktail of peds he usually has because of risk of being caught by VADA testing.. just saying.

Good grief you are pathetic. Stop talking nonsense.

Great fight by Ruiz. One of the HW nice guys.

AJ was way below his normal level. The rematch should be another great fight but Ruiz has shown his worth and AJ has some serious work to do to convince he deserves the belts back.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
The difference between say buster/Tyson or Rahman/Lewis is that this wasn't just a one punch knockout.

Ruiz actually showed skill and that he deserves to be on the same level as AJ.

Does that mean AJ is not as good as everyone says he is or does that mean Ruiz is on a world class level?

Back
Top Bottom