*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

~cw

~cw

Associate
Ah, those are about the speeds I can get to a handful of UK2 London servers. Other servers seem to top out at about 110-120 down, 150-160 up, slightly higher sometimes.

It's Netflix which is really suffering at the moment, 0.5 to 1.5 Mbps!

Seems like Netflix are either misclassifying the IPv4 traffic as US origin, either
  • due the route our traffic takes to reach Netflix via GTT (and weird intermediate hops via providers like normally-American NTT or Tata, which I've observed), or
  • perhaps the HO network isn't correctly recognised? Although their CDN seems to recognise the Hyperoptic AS fine...
Or GTT doesn't have enough bandwidth?(!)

Those are only my theories, I'm waiting to hear back from support.

What's weird is that when I noticed v4 traffic slow to a crawl, v6 traffic to Netflix was unaffected; when I tested it took a different route to Netflix CDN. But the devices we usually use for Netflix only do v4 :(

Associate
They will only install a single point of internet per household (period). Unlike BT, if you want several sockets you will need to pull the cable yourself or pay someone else to do it. My former ISP installed 3 sockets around the house as per my request (and it wasn't an horrendous overpriced extra like BT).

Where on earth did you find an ISP to do this for you? It would cost £100s to do privately and no ISP I've ever had would consider doing it even if they had trained staff.

Associate
Hi all,

I am new to this forum.

I have a question in regards of hyperoptic. I had it in my previous flat and both speed and reliability were amazing. Since I moved in my new flat, the upload is fine while the download is always halved (between 400mbps and 500mbps). On top of this many apps on my wifi connected devices don't work (e.g. Outlook, HMRC, Clearscore etc...) .

Until now I had 8 engineers coming at my place and most of them made up excuses while a couple of them said there is an actual problem.

Also when I connect my computer directly to the plug on the wall (without the router) the speed goes up to 900-950mbps again (obv in this case can't check the wifi). They replaced the router 3 times but this didn't solve the situation.

The customer service now ask me to run always the same tests which clearly show there is a problem but they keep saying there isn't...

Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance

Caporegime
If you've fixed it by not using their router then the least painful thing to do is going to be to look for an alternative router. The Hyperoptic ones are very poor compared to what other mainstream ISPs are providing.

Associate
If you've fixed it by not using their router then the least painful thing to do is going to be to look for an alternative router. The Hyperoptic ones are very poor compared to what other mainstream ISPs are providing.

Is there any model you would recommend? Also I don't know if this is going to fix my WiFi issues, what do you think?

Caporegime
I'm out of the loop on that entirely, I use a BT Hub at home and enterprise gear at work. The Virgin Media thread usually has some decent suggestions.

Associate
Hi there,

I've been experiencing some really strange issues with a new Hyperoptic dual-band router and was hoping to get some advice.

I've had Hyperoptic for a few years now and have been very happy. I recently upgraded to their dual-band router to get 5Ghz 802.11ac speed for faster transfers with with my NAS as well as upgrading from 100 Mbs to 150 Mbs.

A couple of days after switching to the new router I noticed YouTube was really struggling to play at high quality over WiFi on my computer and mobile devices. E.g., if I skipped forward or back in a video, it would sometimes take 5-15s to buffer enough to start playing again, when previously they’d always play pretty much immediately. I also noticed iOS app updates were horrendously slow.

I ultimately found that:

1) immediately after a reboot of the router, all would be perfect for a day or two (e.g., youtube playback and skipping forward/back were immediate and iOS app updates took seconds rather than 1+min to download)
2) after a couple days, my wifi would get into a hissy fit and I'd start seeing the above issues
3) when the issues present themselves, I could easily replicate this:

a) start iOS update of an app around 100 MB - it would go very slow ~1min
b) at this time, run a ping from a device wired to the router to news.bbc.co.uk, 800-1000+ response time, lots of pack loss, other devices would start getting timeouts if browsing
c) reboot router, all perfect - the app would download in seconds, I could stream YouTube from different devices at the same time with no buffering issues

Strangely, when the router is in this mood, I can still run a speedtest from the device over wifi and it shows 150+ Mbs up and down.

I've had Hyperoptic replace the router, but the same problem comes back after a day or two of being up. Noise and RSSI are great at -89 and -29 respectively checked from another room right now and I'm seeing the issue even when stood in front of the router testing. (It's been two days, so time to reboot!)

It really feels as if this is an issue with the router, but there's no way I can find to check these things like memory or cpu usage. Hyperoptic support is just running in circles with days in between updates from them, basically blaming interference (they've most recently asked me to manually set the channel to 36, which has seven other networks in range, from 'auto', which was setting me to 100 with zero other network in range; this because they say Apple devices don't like higher channels, despite Apple articles saying otherwise). The router is about two feet from the same cordless phone in 800Mhz range (I believe) as the old single band router was, but nothing else. Again, noise and RSSI measured from next room show great RSSI and noise values.

Anyone experience similar issues or have advice?

Soldato
I've had two routers from HyperOptic and they've both been terrible tbh. I switched to a Synology unit and it's been rock solid ever since.

Caporegime
Just give up on their bundled hardware, it's complete garbage and not worth your time trying to get it sorted out. Don't throw it away though as they want it back if you cancel.

Hyperoptic is delivered via a standard ethernet connection so pretty much anything you buy will start working as soon as you take it out the box without having to do any setup at all. I've got a service with an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 and an Aruba access point on it, but that's only because it was going unclaimed at work, you don't need to spend anywhere near that sort of cash.

Soldato
Is there any reason to avoid HO at the moment in terms of performance or network-wide issues? I know from this last few pages that there seems to be an issue with IPv6 stuff but ...

The plan is to stick a Ubiquiti ER or USG-Pro on their 1Gbps service and ditching their provided router.

Caporegime
It's a decent enough service, latency is good, IPv6 seems to be provided by Hurricane Electric for some reason who are pretty terrible, and don't expect to get a gig all the time - each deployment they do will get a 1Gbps EAD from Openreach split however many ways they decide, and then they just add another one once the utilisation gets to a level they deem to be too high. There are some areas where they're putting their own physical network down (Southwark) but the majority of places are sharing an Openreach tail. I don't like their policy of giving you CGNAT unless you pay for a static IP (effectively it makes every plan £5 more expensive than advertised) but I've read somewhere that they aren't doing CGNAT anymore so check when you sign up.

The difficult bit is getting the fibre ordered to the buildings they serve and running the copper cabling, I have faith that they can sort out their network and peering etc. in time.

Soldato
Not that I've seen, no. When I first got it I had a few minor issues with some VPN clients and the like, but switching to static NAT fixed that.

Soldato
But surely HO putting you on a static IP (assuming it's still approx £5) means they bring out back outside of being behind CGNAT and back to standard presentable IPv4?

Might just have to pay the fiver and have done with it.

Soldato
When I first ran in to the issues with VPNs I was a bit full of doom as my day job involves a lot of audio/video - and that doesn't play well with CGNAT in a lot of instances. Since I went static it's been absolutely fine, I've not had any issues with it.

Associate
Just give up on their bundled hardware, it's complete garbage and not worth your time trying to get it sorted out. Don't throw it away though as they want it back if you cancel.

Hyperoptic is delivered via a standard ethernet connection so pretty much anything you buy will start working as soon as you take it out the box without having to do any setup at all. I've got a service with an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 and an Aruba access point on it, but that's only because it was going unclaimed at work, you don't need to spend anywhere near that sort of cash.

I've had two routers from HyperOptic and they've both been terrible tbh. I switched to a Synology unit and it's been rock solid ever since.

Well, in the end, they sent me a different brand router - a ZTE - and I've now had a week of uptime and no problems. So definitely an issue with the original brand router, which was a Tilgin. I

Associate
Does being behind CGNAT present issues in terms of forwarding stuff back if multiple clients are presented from one front facing IP? Thinking of things like port forwarding stuff such as Plex etc

You're going to need an IPv4 address that isn't CGNAT to get things like port forwarding to work.

Caporegime
Well, in the end, they sent me a different brand router - a ZTE - and I've now had a week of uptime and no problems. So definitely an issue with the original brand router, which was a Tilgin. I
I've no idea how poor the Tilgin must be then, as the ZTE is the one I put back into a cupboard.

Back
Top Bottom