Med Cruise

Permabanned
Big birthday and celebration in 2021 for wife and I so, decided to go on our first ever cruise. Thing is, we know scant little about them and was hoping to have a few questions answered.

Looked at all in and standard. Standard ships look nicer, or the ones I've looked at do. I see that with Royal Caribbean they expect gratuities, is that normal on all cruise ships or just some? They offer an upfront gratuity of £230 which made my jaw drop TBH. It's not that I mind tipping but I generally tip based on level of service.

Do cruise ships allow you to take your own wine and spirits on board, do they search you and your bags? We're thinking of a balcony room and I'd like to sit at night sipping a wine or a vodka.

What's the score with on-board money? Do they set a rip off rate and can you cash back in at the end?

Do you need to disembark at port? I know that may sound a bit strange but some of the itinerary we've seen would stop at places we've already seen and explored and a day on the ship relaxing when it's quiet sounds appealing to us.

Like I said, we're a bit green about the whole cruise thing. Thx.

Caporegime
Message in trust of you have detailed questions I've worked for one of the biggest brands for 7 years and have clocked up 12 cruises and counting.

Grats are usually not included, if they are, they are factored in to the ticket price any way.

Most let you bring a bottle or 2 of wine at the start, but not spirits, but drinks packages are almost always included if you are in an oceanview or above cabin.

Of course you can stay on board, you can choose to never leave the ship at all if you want.

Soldato
Big birthday and celebration in 2021 for wife and I so, decided to go on our first ever cruise. Thing is, we know scant little about them and was hoping to have a few questions answered.

Looked at all in and standard. Standard ships look nicer, or the ones I've looked at do. I see that with Royal Caribbean they expect gratuities, is that normal on all cruise ships or just some? They offer an upfront gratuity of £230 which made my jaw drop TBH. It's not that I mind tipping but I generally tip based on level of service.

Do cruise ships allow you to take your own wine and spirits on board, do they search you and your bags? We're thinking of a balcony room and I'd like to sit at night sipping a wine or a vodka.

What's the score with on-board money? Do they set a rip off rate and can you cash back in at the end?

Do you need to disembark at port? I know that may sound a bit strange but some of the itinerary we've seen would stop at places we've already seen and explored and a day on the ship relaxing when it's quiet sounds appealing to us.

Like I said, we're a bit green about the whole cruise thing. Thx.
Most US orientated lines expect gratuities, I didn't like it, you can just cancel them.
I go with marella now, no tips and some drinks included, not particularly posh though.
Onboard spend goes on a tab, exchange rate probably worse than the best.
You can basically do what you like on board or off, you do have to get back in time obviously.

Back
Top Bottom