• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Been a while since I posted in this thread so thought I'd chuck my latest observation in. These little Xeon's are still cutting the mustard. I've swapped out my old Asus GTX760 for a 6Gb MSi Gaming X 1060 recently. Running the Xeon 5650 at 4.2Ghz with the 1060 I'm sat playing Division 2 fully maxed out to Ultra settings everywhere at a solid 60fps, albeit at 1080p.

That's not bad going for a CPU which is around 9 years old. :D:cool::)

Associate
I am glad that I upgraded my i7 920 to the Xeon, to squeeze a bit more life out of her.
Plays games flawlessly so far - BfV 1440p never drops below 90fps (usually substantially more, maxing out my monitor)

Will look at the next major upgrade later this year, probably around September, ready for some solid Winter gaming

Soldato
I am glad that I upgraded my i7 920 to the Xeon, to squeeze a bit more life out of her.
Plays games flawlessly so far - BfV 1440p never drops below 90fps (usually substantially more, maxing out my monitor)

Will look at the next major upgrade later this year, probably around September, ready for some solid Winter gaming
Yeah at 1440p your putting more workload on the GPU so that even a nearly decade old CPU overclocked will still give decent frame rates.

Soldato
So

Thought i ask and see how many of us old X58 users have upgraded?

my x5675 is still performing well in most games at 4k and 1080p. Metro, resident evil 2 and anthem are the only game that slows down every now and then and newer titles dip sometimes into high 40's which don't bother me. Can't believe this 10 year platform is still performing. But next year i really think this will be the last year. Was going to upgrade it but with stupid motherboard and graphics prices decided not to bother.

Associate
I moved onto a ryzen 2600 in January this year after my Asus p6 deluxe started breaking down. A fan header stopped working and my bios kept forgetting my OC profile. I still managed to sell the board with an x5670 and the 12gb of ram for around £130ish on ebay as spares and repairs.

I do miss it. I miss the amount of options In the bios. The b450 board I have is limited in its options and OC capability. But it does have a cool (annoying) led light on it.

Also I got a vega56 which for some reason didn't work on Windows 10 with x58. Windows 7 was fine however.

Associate
I upgraded from mine last year to a 2700x. Average game fps was up a bit but minimums were greatly improved. Upgraded again to 3900x and bigger difference still.

I do love my x58, so given that and my 1070ti to my friend at work to get some mileage out it. Too good to waste...

Soldato
So

my x5675 is still performing well in most games at 4k and 1080p. Metro, resident evil 2 and anthem are the only game that slows down every now and then and newer titles dip sometimes into high 40's which don't bother me. Can't believe this 10 year platform is still performing. But next year i really think this will be the last year. Was going to upgrade it but with stupid motherboard and graphics prices decided not to bother.
I did. X58 still performs admirably at 1440p/2160p but there are some games where it was definitely holding back performance. Depends on the games you play as to whether it's worth upgrading. Plus general workloads like transcoding are over twice as fast even with an R5 3600 at stock.

Soldato
So

Nice to see it is still holding up. I upgraded 5(!) years ago to a 5820K but my X5675 is still plugging away in the old X58 system with the old GTX 970 :p

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Anyone strapped a Dark Rock Pro 4 onto an Asus P6T board? I'm a concerned about RAM clearance and would appreciate any input.

Back
Top Bottom