What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Just a little job today sorting threshold between bathroom and bedroom out. Cut out architrave with multi-tool to accommodate new height. Used a tip I picked up on youtube where you use a scrap of the same material as a height guide/rest for the multi tool, get some great tolerances this way!

Ripped a section of 18mm plywood to size. Marked up cuts in situ and jigsawed it to final size.

Test Fit went OK but had an 8mm deviance in height from left to the right. Cut out a bit more architrave on right side to give some additional upwards movement and used packers to level with the tiled floor.

Once happy dug out and dusted off the router table and ran a round off bit on the exposed edges. Packers prevent glue and nailing so threw some 5x50mms in and filled afterwards.

Drilled holes for the aluminum threshold, cut to size and installed.

Pretty happy with the result!

flat_reno_bathroom_threshold_0.jpg

flat_reno_bathroom_threshold_1.jpg

flat_reno_bathroom_threshold_2.jpg

flat_reno_bathroom_threshold_3.jpg

flat_reno_bathroom_threshold_4.jpg

flat_reno_bathroom_threshold_5.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Cleared out part of the garage and shed - tidied them both up - came to sort the rubbish and thought - I can't throw all that away I might need it in the future so stacked it nice an neat in shed and garage.
Got more space for a week till it gets back to normal. :rolleyes:

Associate
Not today but had a productive weekend. Took apart the toilet cistern to figure out why it wouldnt flush and ended up untangling 2 springs and now its better than its ever been. Took up, relayed and cemented our patio, fitted new hinges to a gate and painted then finished off with some good old power washing goodness!

Associate
Fixed a few curtain rails the previous owners had put up, using the wrong size drill bit for the rawl plug, hung a load of pictures up. All inside jobs as it was forecast to rain (it didn't until 5pm)

Soldato
an2W9Fd.jpg.png wYyrSpu.jpg.png
At1s2vM.jpg.png Coxc4Ot.jpg.png

Restored a 4 1/2 Stanley plane I bought recently. Used Tru oil for the handles, which turned out better than expected. I stained the wood with walnut water based stain and then added a bit of spirit based dark oak stain to the first coat of Tru oil to try and blend in the areas where the Beech soaked in more stain and it worked well. Just got my old 5 to do now, but i'm going to have to make a new handle for it as the old one is missing and was broken anyway.

Soldato
Glad I don't have any hedges anymore - Killer of a job.

Today was Pan day - When I fitted the new Induction Hob I sanded the bottoms of the old pans with 320grit wet and dry on a flat surface and so far after month's of use I don't see any scratches. So today I gave them a quick run over the wet and dry just to keep them smooth.

Man of Honour
Did some extreme gardening today - helping clearing an old canal route in Somerset as part of its restoration. This is one lock of about 22. Satisfying work :)

Before
1.jpg

2.jpg

After

3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom