• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Caporegime
Wouldn't be surprised at all if we get shafted on price.

And so goes the routine for 99.9% of gpu launches, its the same sad story time and time again, brexit, pound vs dollar, supply and demand (amazing how launching a new product always miraculously comes with low stock by default) etc etc. No Matter what we get pumped.

Soldato
So if this is true NVidia have been holding back and Navi is pushing them into action. Consumer wins again.
We were saying earlier that probably nvidia knows exactly what amd are doing, way before we do and already line up products to compete, some say spies inside, others said the fabrication plants workers
@MissChief When are we playing apex, i invite you about 20 times a week lol

Caporegime
We were saying earlier that probably nvidia knows exactly what amd are doing, way before we do and already line up products to compete, some say spies inside, others said the fabrication plants workers
@MissChief When are we playing apex, i invite you about 20 times a week lol
I know but I'm rarely playing by myself and usually already in a group!

Associate
OH for ***** sake

Sneaking through the forest all blacked out nobody can see us coming ….yada yada yada...… and then one of the main characters is smoking a ****** cigar.....really......really...…..garbage.

That rather spoiled if for me too, I wouldn't follow Captain Price anywhere if he were that daft...

Associate
Cheaper pricing is welcome however seems like a kick in the nutts too soon for people who have already bought.

It's how tech works. You get a kick in the nuts either way.

You can either buy at launch and see people buying cheaper a year or so later. Or you can buy cheaper later on only to get kicked in the nuts when a better GPU comes out 4 months after you bought one.

bru

bru

Soldato
Just putting it out there, is their any reason why Nvidia cannot use PCIe 4.0 compatibility on the new 2060s, 2070s, 2080s. Just to steal a bit more of AMD's thunder?

What is it that makes a card PCIe 4.0 compatible anyway, other than a checkbox on the packaging. Just the throughput that it is capable of or what?

Soldato
Just putting it out there, is their any reason why Nvidia cannot use PCIe 4.0 compatibility on the new 2060s, 2070s, 2080s. Just to steal a bit more of AMD's thunder?

What is it that makes a card PCIe 4.0 compatible anyway, other than a checkbox on the packaging. Just the throughput that it is capable of or what?
It's just the interconnect between the GPU and the rest of the system being faster/having higher bandwidth. It will only make a difference when we get much faster GPUs that can truly exploit this and have been designed to do so.

Soldato

Unless the silicon was designed to include a PCIe 4 block, you can't just overclock gen 3. Gen 4 is backwards compatible, but a licence for the IP would be more expensive (I doubt Nvidia have developed their own IP here, so they would need to licence it). Also introducing a gen 4 compatible controller at this point when it's simply not required for a GPU, might also introduce compatibility risks as well as increased cost.

The only thing I know of that you need PCIe gen 4 or better at the moment is 200Gbit ethernet or infiniband adapters. gen 5 will be required for 400Gbit and they're coming soon. There's a fair amount of speculation as to whether a number of companies will skip gen4 completely and go straight to gen5.

Back
Top Bottom