HDMI over IP

Associate
There are a few posts about this topic but none recent.

I want to get my virgin box signal to my shed at the end of the garden. I have power and ethernet in the shed via Powerline, plus I have various other units using the ethernet such as hue, xbox, smartthings hub, virgin v6 box, etc.

So I have been trying to research whats best and what will work. I have read some issues that hdmi over ip will not work powerline ... is this still the case? is there any units that will work? any other solutions?

Man of Honour
You can get specific powerline HDMI senders - but the two most common variants of HDMI over IP adaptors won't work with powerlines - one uses a passive signalling method that isn't compatible with powerline adaptors and I'm not sure what the issue is with HDBaseT but that is problematic as well - I'm guessing due to signal degradation/SNR but not sure.

EDIT: From what I can see powerline specific variants are expensive - typically around £300 for the good ones.

Soldato
I've got a set of HDbitT HDMI extenders.

No complaints about the picture from a Sky+ HD box to upstairs over a single Cat5e cable.

I did try them over Powerline (AV600) and you could see them trying to work but I guess there wasn't enough bandwidth.

I also tried them over my existing wired network. They worked but flooded the network and everything else eventually ground to a halt.

They ended up on a dedicated cable.

Soldato
Standard active or passive balun kits that use one or two 5e/6 cables do not operate over IP, they will not work over power line, you can get IP products, but they don't co-exist well with other devices and are expensive. It would usually be easier to use a HDMI matrix and run dedicated feeds to allow for IR passthrough.

Soldato
If you already have power to your shed then maybe look at running some cat5s down there as well?

1 for network, 1 for hdmi and then another couple for spares as you can never have enough!

Caporegime
There are boxes that send the video as multicast data that will then go over a wireless link, powerline, fibre, whatever. A cheap HDMI-over-Cat6 kit isn't that, neither is HDBaseT.

Associate
OP
The powerline option is very expensive and unsure if you still can use the powerline for other network traffic .... so running a cat6 down to the shed and getting HDMI extenders is the cheapest option :(

Soldato
I ran a cat5 down to a family members shed for them. Took a morning, used 50m of cat5 and you can barely tell where the cable is. Has been in place for over 2 years now and not had a single issue (granted it was for IP only).

Honestly it's the best way and most often the cheapest.

Soldato
I have read some issues that hdmi over ip will not work powerline ... is this still the case?

In theory (never personally tested it), 'HDMI over Ethernet'/HDbitT over powerline should work but bandwidth is the problem and you probably won't end up with a stable picture.
Otherwise it works pretty well and you can get a TX and RX pair from the jungle store for around £80/100 (additional receivers are around £40). It's worth mentioning that if you plan to run the 'HDMI' traffic alongside the rest of your network then you really need to VLAN* it off otherwise you'll end up with the network being flooded.

However, if it's just a point-to-point connection then i would personally opt for running ethernet to the shed (plenty of runs for other devices) and using active/powered HDMI baluns - will be cheaper to do and generally a lot less faff.

* Some HDMI over Ethernet manufacturers require VLAN's when using their TX/RX units especially if using multiple input sources as that's how they switch sources for the receivers.

Edit - Shows HDMI over Ethernet over Powerline @ 25m25s

Back
Top Bottom