The **Now Eating** Thread

Caporegime
yeah he went for the Sunday roast and said the roast beef was tough. I was so annoyed! I have only had steak there and it has always been great, for them to let themselves down on the Sunday roast is not on! lol.

I like his channel mainly because he seems to have a palette that can eat most things, sure there are things that he loves which I don’t like organs but that’s his taste which is fine but in general, he has shown he isn’t afraid to be honest when something is underwhelming or disappointing. I’ve gone to places where he mentioned specifically and they have been good…I’d say that his 10/10 places are like 8/10 for me :p I set my standard quite a bit higher. That or food vloggers overuse “tender” “melt in the mouth” “best beef ever” a lot so I just take them as “this is good”.

I do know that if he really loves a place, he goes back for seconds, like Ichiran noodles, he has been to the one in Osaka, New York and then back in Fukuoka. He loves that place….it’s only an 8/10 place for me lol There are better Ramen places in Japan.

So when he say something is underwhelming or below par...i'd probably not bother.

Last edited:
Associate

So when he say something is underwhelming or below par...i'd probably not bother.

I genuinely feel he got bad deal at Hawksmoor that day. I don't order steak out at any other restaurant other than Hawksmoor as it's the only place that does a better job than I can do at home. I haven't had the roast but I would be so disappointed if it wasn't as good as their steaks.

Certainly try Hawksmoor if given the chance, really is a great steak restaurant.

Soldato
PAwIQC.jpg

Late breakfast/brunch today at Scran, with their latest weekend special creation. This time its curried pulled shoulder of lamb with curried macaroni, spicy onions (which I had without) and fresh made poppadom's. The lamb was so tender and spicy, but with more flavour than heat. I wasn't sure what to expect from the curried macaroni, but I loved it! God I love this place :D

M5JlDx.jpg

opThMI.jpg

iandMN.jpg

Even after spending some time in Starbucks with a couple of drinks, I didn't have a big appetite after that brunch. So I opted for something light. Went to Dim Sum for the first time. I had the chicken satay buns, which were not bad, but I wish they had a bit more filling in them. Also had the crispy rolls with duck, which were really good! And the last one was Stornoway black pudding wonton with scallops and king prawn. The sauce didn't do much for me, but the wonton was goooood! :D

8y9Oco.jpg

After lunch I was in the mood for something sweet. Hopped a short Uber journey to Deesserts. Their hot chocolate fudge cake is amazing. I also got a scoop of banana ice cream on the side. Combining the ice cream with the cake was delicious! :D

Soldato
With the wife away for the weekend, you know what this means don't you? The cook went a bit mental with the GREEN's but otherwise the pizzas were as tasty as usual.

Medium Deluxe
RGsKI3s.jpg

Hot & Spicy - a flavour new to me and quite nice.
fcjc3qF.jpg

Soldato
6uACqD.jpg

Since its a bank holiday I went back to Mesa today for try another one of their two egg skillets. This one has cream, wild mushrooms, gorgonzola and spinach. It was so creamy and delicious! :)

fTUaBs.jpg

For lunch I tried out somewhere new, Singl-End in Merchant City. Had to wait 25 minutes for a table cause it was so busy, but I'm glad I waited. I had their Croque Madame. It was big and really tasty! Side salad was a little basic, but it was overall good.

GLn6Ah.jpg

Went back to Deesserts. Been meaning to try one of their ice cream sundae's for ages, so today I had the Bubblelicious. Bubblegum, vanilla and strawberry ice cream, 100s & 1000s, drizzled with strawberry and bubblegum sauces. This was FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC! :D

Soldato
2tbXAK.jpg

Weekend special at Scran, Green Eggs and Ham. Was scrambled eggs with spinach & basil pesto on toasted sourdough, with a pressed smoked pancetta fritter, shredded maple glazed ham hock and crispy halloumi. Was really good! It actually sold out yesterday, but the chef kept a portion in reserve for me for today. Best Café ever! :D

4VR9D3.jpg

Tried somewhere new for lunch, Brewdog Doghouse in Merchant City. Photo came out horrible because 5 minutes after I sat down the sky went from gray and cloudy to very sunny and I was sitting with a window directly behind me. I had a 1/4 pound of pulled pork and 1/4 pound of beef brisket, along with a Cajun rubbed corn on the cob. Really nice, but I wish I'd ordered more meat. Or some fries. Was worried it might be too much food, but I could have eaten more.

Caporegime
I really need to get some nicer stoneware/plates etc. Mackeral Ray?

Thanks, yeah.

Yup, just supermarket bought. Supper simple. Actually when cooking the rice in the rice cooker I put it in when most of the water had gone then closed the lid and let it heat it up. All the juices flows down to the rice. Then a dash of soy sauce, serve with a side of Japanese pickles and ginger.

Soldato
That Scran breakfast looks utterly incredible, drooling at my desk over that one wow.
That breakfast looks pretty great.

It was fantastic. I swear I am becoming addicted to the place, the chef there can literally do no wrong. Every weekend special to date has been a triumph :D

Sounds really good, I just picked up some pork belly, lemongrass, daikon and pandan from the local asian market, going to try my hand at Bao buns.

Pics please when you've made them! :D

Back
Top Bottom