Would you think this was weird / threatening?

Soldato
Despite what everybody else is saying - you just do you fella.

If you're more comfortable going out at night (for whatever reason) then do it - make sensible decisions, high-vis vest, headlight torch, but don't let other peoples opinions stop you. Sure its easy to say not to worry about what other people think, but it can take time to get into that mindset, so if this is what you need to do right now, do it.

Soldato
Would you think it was weird or threatening if you saw a bloke in his 30s walking around town / the local hillside / public parks at between 12 am and 3 am with a torch?

I want to start doing some exercise, and for personal reasons, I'd like to do it when no one is around so doing it at night makes perfect sense but a couple of people I have talked to have thought I might look like a criminal to residents/police.

Depends where you have shoved the torch? And are you naked?

Soldato
Head torch, high vis and you’re set.

Even a normal torch would be fine, but a decent head torch wouldn’t be that weird if it’s someone walking a dog or out exercising.

I think most people would assume that it isn’t “weird,” you could work long/unsociable hours so have to exercise or walk the dog late at night :)

Just go for it, and best of luck with the exercise :)

Soldato
OP - I think this thread is a pretty accurate microcosm of what you'll experience in real life: Some people encouraging and supporting you, some people thinking you're silly to worry about it, but nobody actually wanting to stop you or saying anything to discourage you.

Post back and let us know how it went, if that helps.

Permabanned
One naked rambler is enough, thanks very much :) Round here there are plenty of people abroad in the dark, rabbiting, fox shooting, plus probably less salubrious activities as well. One of the dogs flushed someone out of the back wood the other night, not sure what he was up to, but fair play, he could run like hell.

Associate
I do this almost every night - hangover from when I did it in Taiwan, as it was a little less hot and everything there was 24 hour anyway. Should really update my location. Over here I just like that it's peaceful and relaxing.

I've been back in a small town in Yorkshire for the past 8 months, and have so far been stopped 7 times by police asking what I'm doing. Few questions and they go on their way, only once the guy radioed the station to check my ID, and another time I was asked to go home as they were actively searching for a car thief. It does get a bit tiresome, but has happened less frequently since I've befriended one of them in a pub, who's passed on to his colleagues that I'm just weird and like walking at night :p

Permabanned
I do this almost every night - hangover from when I did it in Taiwan, as it was a little less hot and everything there was 24 hour anyway. Should really update my location. Over here I just like that it's peaceful and relaxing.

I've been back in a small town in Yorkshire for the past 8 months, and have so far been stopped 7 times by police asking what I'm doing. Few questions and they go on their way, only once the guy radioed the station to check my ID, and another time I was asked to go home as they were actively searching for a car thief. It does get a bit tiresome, but has happened less frequently since I've befriended one of them in a pub, who's passed on to his colleagues that I'm just weird and like walking at night :p

Probably using a handie and calling CQ didn't help them form an opinion as to your legitimacy ;) Bit rich asking you to go home though, is their catchment rate based on no one else being out of their homes when looking for thieves? Still, Yorkshire, what can I say...? ;)

Associate
Probably using a handie and calling CQ didn't help them form an opinion as to your legitimacy ;) Bit rich asking you to go home though, is their catchment rate based on no one else being out of their homes when looking for thieves? Still, Yorkshire, what can I say...? ;)

Eh I don't know how the radio bit works, made him go away though :p But yes, I'd say 95% of the time I don't see anyone else out on the street when I'm out, so I'm always going to raise an eyebrow. I wasn't keen being told to go home either, but I wasn't up for an argument about it and was at the end of my road anyway.

And yes...Yorkshire indeed.

Soldato
Would you think it was weird or threatening if you saw a bloke in his 30s walking around town / the local hillside / public parks at between 12 am and 3 am with a torch?

I want to start doing some exercise, and for personal reasons, I'd like to do it when no one is around so doing it at night makes perfect sense but a couple of people I have talked to have thought I might look like a criminal to residents/police.

Just do what you want to do. Life is too short for worrying about other people.

Caporegime
It is weird that you want to exercise when no one is around.

Going out at midnight though is not weird in itself, e.g. if you work day shifts. I'll be doing a lot of midnight running in the next months training for some long ultra marathons that will see me run through complete nights/50+ hours. I'll need to train my eyes and coordination or technical trails by headlamp.

Associate
I used to finish work at 1am and go for 6-9 mile runs at 2am. There was nobody about to care, although I did get a few glances from the police that would drive past.

I’ll add that this was with the street lights on all night, I felt fairly safe as you can see what’s all around you. Now with our street lights off from 12 even with a torch you can’t see much and I wouldn’t feel safe.

Caporegime
Get some night-vision goggles instead. You can see them but they can't see you. Better chance of making off with their valuables.

That is what this is about, right?

Back
Top Bottom